Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: CO Gold - 1MM, IC Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Dear United Elite Customers:

Public Service Notice: Please use caution when returning and racking your pitchforks and swords, and ensure all torches and other incendiary devices are full extinguished using the convenient water buckets before bringing them inside the barn.

Thank you. Safety First.
^^
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Chapeau!

I feel almost guilty for having abandoned United ....
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
This is just another of so many things PMUA did correct all along that CO is finally admitting to itself.
+1

In due time, my friend. In due time.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My assumption is that someone from finance called some dimwits in the UA website division and said something like this:

"Perhaps you techie nerds haven't noticed that we're trailing the industry in PRASM performance so far this year and we are getting our rear ends handed to us by AA, which is in BANKRUPTCY!!! Much of the blame for our industry-lagging performance can be laid at your feet for your dismal failures at integrating the computer systems, which has caused widespread operational breakdowns since March 3 and shows no signs of abating. So why on earth would you do something that practically looks like it was intended to piss off our remaining loyal customers (those who haven't bolted for AA or DL)?! Fix it NOW, dolts!"
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:55 am
In Memorium

Programs: UA 1K-3.5MM; AA Exec. Plat.; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott Platinum
Thumbs up Great News!

Thank you Shannon--for listening and for running it up the chain of command to get the problem solved.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
This is a double hit of great news. Got invited to one of the 'behind the scenes' tours by united this AM, then this news this afternoon. Shannon and all involved, thank you so much for taking the feedback to heart!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I can see how getting something we already had back is seen as a huge win during the COdbaUA regime.

Others see it simply and clearly. This is just another of so many things PMUA did correct all along that CO is finally admitting to itself.
+1 - I made the same point myself, yet it was somehow deleted. Just a return to PMUA standards. I guess the improvements are all in how you frame it.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Another reason that we shouldn't just shut up and accept all of the changes that come down from COdbaUA.

Glad to see this back. Hopefully we'll see some more changes in the right direction (a.k.a. Returning to PMUA methods). ^
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Thanks For Listening, But...

This was a really bad move for United and the slap was felt across the entire system on the faces of the "Road Warriors" who are so responsible for a major portion of the revenue it takes to make this ship float. We are all glad to have a meaningful response but why can't executives get the idea that their really good customers are more important than their egotistical decisions and just ask us about such things beforehand? We all have to get around this planet and it would be a whole lot easier if we could do it together instead facing customer/system battles.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Hallelujah. I can breathe again.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Also happy with the good news. Thanks Shannon.

What made this issue unique is that it afffected virtually all premier members, vs a policy change that only affectived one group, say silvers (book E+ seating at T-24 vs at ticketing).

I wonder if we should come up with a list of similarly useful program or Website features in place now that could also be removed and help UA understand why they're important to keep.

I worry, for example, about UA scrapping GG Checkpoint Line 53, since it's a great, but little known, benefit.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum with 2.5MM. Current AA EXP
$10 per Month, Conveniently Billed to your MP Explorer Visa Card

Originally Posted by Condition One
How much will this opt-in feature cost per year?
When I read UA Insider's "Expert Mode Update", my first thought was: "United sees a revenue opportunity here. Why not charge $10 per month for the privilege of opting-in to expert mode".

Seriously, when they give us back the ability to more easily find those few "needle in the haystack" flights where we can actually confirm a GPU at time of booking, they'll be giving up the revenue (TOD) or mileage they'd have gotten from more lucrative types of upgrades. So, what better way to offset that "loss" than to charge the customers who will force you to incur that loss with a new "expert mode fee"? Clearly, logical persons (like many of us!) could shoot multiple, massive holes through that logic; but then, this is United--not the most logical, rational, or customer-focused purveyor on the planet.

Call me cynical...I really hope I'm wrong...but we really shouldn't be surprised if it's not free or if it's still curtailed in some significant way.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Yes, glad to have the Expert Flyer function back (soon?)... can't be fast enough for me.
I am positive that the outcry on FT had a LOT of influence on the decision to restore this feature! 1,1300 posts, all negative and many by "newbies", must have been an eye-opener
Hoo ray for Flyer Talk!!!!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
I'm surprised that we got a useful response so fast. It looks like an intense blast from FT can still get some attention.

I feel better about spending money to but PQMs and keep 1K status for 2013. I was thinking I'd been robbed before.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Three cheers for a return to existing PMUA functionality enjoyed for many years!!!

(don't forget, nothing new & improved here)
Correct.

Nothing new & improved.

We shall not forget that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.