Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: Free Agent
How much will this opt-in feature cost per year?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
This is great news! Once this feature is available again, I look forward to being able to make more effective same-day confirmed changes, decide intelligently among options for upgradeable flights, and help agents find good protection flights during irregular operations.

I worry about, as they say in Canadian political parlance, the "optics" of this announcement. It looks for all the world like UA executed a take-back of a customer-favored feature, listened to the feedback, and then restored it, hoping to make themselves look customer-friendly. Even when this behavior is backed by the absolute best of intentions, it's really easy to hurt customers' morale.

Working a customer-facing job is an emotional roller coaster at the best of times, and I don't envy the position of staff at UA right now. Awfully, awfully kind of them to stick around here and keep us in the loop.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
I really wish their PR folks would be more engaged.

This appears to have been the plan UA Insider alluded to when this all started as there is no way they could have planned, programmed, and implemented this from scratch in a few days.

If they had just told everyone upfront what they had planned, a lot of angst and ill will could have been avoided -- heck they might have even received credit by spinning it as an "enhancement" (bringing back expert mode).
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: UA GS
Good news.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:19 am

Fantastic - am very happy to hear this functionality will return. Thank you!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Very happy to hear that expert mode will be back. Even though many of us probably overestimate the amount of certainty it provides when planning our itineraries/upgrades, it still is an incredibly useful feature. ^
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
A step in the right direction!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Very promising news. Thank you, Shannon! ^

We'll all be waiting with bated breath to see exactly when/how the full functionality will return.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Three cheers for a return to existing PMUA functionality enjoyed for many years!!!

(don't forget, nothing new & improved here)
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
New metric: customers should spend less time on computer than on plane for any trip

Originally Posted by abaheti
I really wish their PR folks would be more engaged.

This appears to have been the plan UA Insider alluded to when this all started as there is no way they could have planned, programmed, and implemented this from scratch in a few days.

If they had just told everyone upfront what they had planned, a lot of angst and ill will could have been avoided -- heck they might have even received credit by spinning it as an "enhancement" (bringing back expert mode).
For me, it's the uncertainty of what is going to improve and when it's going to happen on the IT side that is most annoying. That's because I spend more time on UA's computer system than I do on its planes. This needs to change!

Maybe there is indeed a communications solution that can take some of the pain out of UA's IT recovery. If United has a workplan to 'fix' SHARES, could they consider posting it on the .bomb web site?

Perhaps there could be some listing of upgrades and a timetable of when they would be implemented, or perhaps a gauge of how far they are along in implementing them. This could be analogous to the flat bed seat conversion program on various aircraft types that United used to post updates on.

And CO used to share detailed info on the menus of each of their international flights, so there is a precedent on both sides of the merger for putting out information that makes (some) customers happy.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Condition One
How much will this opt-in feature cost per year?
LOL!!!
^
Don't give them any ideas...
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: Various
This is fantastic news. A big thumbs up! Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
This is indeed great news. Doesn't explain why it just couldn't be done with a quick cutover. Anyways, I guess this is better than not having it at all. Also, I'm of the opinion that this was not the plan initially. This is a quick backtrack because of the backlash. Though seriously as I pointed out in the other thread, implementing a checkbox and some code is about the simplest thing in the world.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Thank you but there is more to be done!

Hi Shannon,

Very thankful that you have taken the feedback from FT back to United to bring about redress to the proposed changes to "Expert mode". This is indeed a change we like! However, as you will appreciate there have been a number of post-merger changes that have provoked the ire and driven away many of UAs's most loyal customers. A particular example are the changes to the Million Miler program http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ng-2012-a.html. I truly hope that FT feedback on this regressive change is also receiving the same attention that the Expert mode policy change has obviously received.

Iain
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IADOrange
WOW. You guys listened to customer feedback and responded appropriately. This is a great step forward, both in terms of functionality and in gaining trust back from those of us who felt burned by the removal.
I can see how getting something we already had back is seen as a huge win during the COdbaUA regime.

Others see it simply and clearly. This is just another of so many things PMUA did correct all along that CO is finally admitting to itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.