Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA drops GUM-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Effective Oct 26; 737 will be used for secondary Japan flying.
There go my HNL layovers

Really hope they reconsider, flight was almost always full when I took it.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Effective Oct 26; 737 will be used for secondary Japan flying.
Source?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was upset when they cut PVG-GUM last year as it made a good weekend getaway when I felt like getting a taste of the states. I always felt at least I could utilize the HKG routing to get to Guam but it looks like UA has decided that Chinese don’t want to go to GUM. A real shame and likely not that great for the Guamanian economy with UA cutting back and DL gone.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A lower load factor and cheap prices are not a good sign for a route. There are better routes for UA resources (unless from a system point of view the segment enables other more profitable segments)
shhh logic is ruining my vacation planning
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
sad to see the route go. it was a cheap way to fly the island hopper, and also allowed a late departure from HKG. at least the additional HKG-SFO frequency is in the evening.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
It has already been said that half of HKG market is Guangdong, and half of HKG-GUM continues to HNL. So this cut gives the entire HKG-Hawaii market to foreign carriers, unless the NH JV can carry this traffic.

And for MP members in Asia, no more HKG-SPN four-segment UA metal run!
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:21 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Does UA still consider GUM a hub/focus city?

While it is very sad to see another unique inter-Asia flight getting cut, I never really understood the strange state of the GUM airport in UA's network.
Don't get me wrong, it's great that UA flies to multiple cities in Asia, but I just wish they'd offer at least one GUM <-> UA hub direct flight.

IMO, it would make more sense to move most of their GUM-Asia flights to HNL and turn HNL into a mini hub.

EDIT: looks like UA does still consider GUM as a hub:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...port/maps.html
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:55 pm

This is sad. I made the trip several times.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That's UA's definition of changes we will like, right?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by mr8
Does UA still consider GUM a hub/focus city?

While it is very sad to see another unique inter-Asia flight getting cut, I never really understood the strange state of the GUM airport in UA's network.
Don't get me wrong, it's great that UA flies to multiple cities in Asia, but I just wish they'd offer at least one GUM <-> UA hub direct flight.

IMO, it would make more sense to move most of their GUM-Asia flights to HNL and turn HNL into a mini hub.

EDIT: looks like UA does still consider GUM as a hub:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...port/maps.html
GUM-UA hub would never work, narrowbodies dont have range to fly nonstop GUM-SFO, GUM-SFO does not have enough loads to sustain a widebody.

Shifting GUM-Asia flights to HNL-Asia make no sense whatsoever, there are plenty of Asian carriers had already been flying those routes for years, JL, NH, CI, OZ, KE, PR, CA, MU, QF, NZ, then Asia LCC Jin Air, Air Asia, Jetstar, not to mention HA, some even have multiple flights daily, UA will fail miserably to compete direct at those airlines. no narrowbodies has range to fly HNL-Asia nonstop neither, so why would UA send multiple widebodies just to fly HNL-Asia consider all of them are tourist low yield routes ? Sending the crappy 77G to do all that ?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
This route is more than just "historical" (nearly 3 decades). As many on Guam know, a former CO/IAH executive became a CS/GUM executive and became a UA/HKG executive. He married a Guam news anchor who is now anchoring for HKTVB Pearl. She's going to miss this non-rev ride home.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
How much longer until GUM gets the full CLE treatment?
Seems like it's in a slow death cycle with route after route bring cut.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
How much longer until GUM gets the full CLE treatment?
Seems like it's in a slow death cycle with route after route bring cut.
it is more like shifting rather than cutting, you dont see any GUM-JPN route being cut
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
IIRC, GUM has fewer airplanes than in years past, so if it wants to increase Japan flying, it has to cut from elsewhere.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
it is more like shifting rather than cutting, you dont see any GUM-JPN route being cut
The past decade has seen the loss of 15 destinations: Beijing, Cairns, Denpasar, Hiroshima, Hong Kong, Nadi, Naha, Niigata, Okayama, Rota, Sapporo, Sendai, Seoul, Shanghai, and Taipei. Where exactly have these shifted to

Remaining are 10 destinations, including zero additions in the past decade: Chuuk, Fukuoka, Honolulu, Koror, Manila, Nagoya, Osaka, Saipan, Tokyo, and Yap.

Sure seems like GUM is being slowly killed off.
riphamilton likes this.

Last edited by ctownflyer; Jun 28, 2019 at 9:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.