Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2010, 2:14 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: UA 1K, RCC; AA EXP; HH Diamond; CC Gold
Originally Posted by zrs70
Am I out of my mind?
Not at all. This is normal behavior in my book... especially in NC. I do at least one of these a year. It is the quickest, easiest way to rack up a bunch of EQMs all without missing a day of work. Out Friday night, back Sunday.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Good for you.... My partner and I are do that same trip on the 27th..but doing in the back
Old Aug 7, 2010, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DJ, QF, SQ, SPG.
I am flying SFO-SYD-LAX next week. About 5 hours on the ground in SYD. NC class.
Am I out of my mind? The fare was low (about $900 because of a 20% coupon).
out of your mind??
your crazy for thinking that!
I very jealous!
Been wanting to do the same thing (except the other way around- mel-lax-mel). You get a full day in LAX this way. Just dont have the spare (2) days to do it!
Old Aug 7, 2010, 11:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Originally Posted by Noel Vice
Been wanting to do the same thing (except the other way around- mel-lax-mel). You get a full day in LAX this way. Just dont have the spare (2) days to do it!
Easy to do but you are stuffed by the time you are waiting at gate 77 in LAX the same evening. Even with a day room at the Hilton LAX.

Leave Saturday arrive back Monday morning, then straight to work.

I'm tempted to do this again in September with Double miles bonus, or even Chicago, which is about a far east I've found and able to do same day return. That was a story for people at work, Flew to Chicago had a Big Mac at the Airport (one of the best I think) then flew home.

After my last run in with Immigration at LAX to why I travel so often and short turnarounds, I may be pushing the limits. I had the same guy back to back weekends last time I did these runs, no issue, remembered me and stamped under his last stamp.

Last edited by Asuka; Aug 7, 2010 at 11:39 pm
Old Aug 8, 2010, 1:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Premier Plat (1.2 MM), Hertz PC, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, GE
I'll be doing LAX-SYD-LAX over this weekend with an overnight in Sydney on Sunday. I've booked a Blue Mountains day tour for Sunday morning so I'm hoping there aren't any flight delays. I know I'll be tired (after sitting in exit row Y), but I've heard that the Blue Mountains are quite spectacular.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I am flying SFO-SYD-LAX next week. About 5 hours on the ground in SYD. NC class.

Am I out of my mind?
Not as nutty as the Flyertalker I flew with last week who flew JFK/SFO/SYD/MEL and return, all in 1 day. As for me, I spent the day in SYD, and am paying for it now.

Back on topic, I was pleasantly surprised with the food offerings both ways in Y. FYI, SFO and SYD agents are very good about denying SWU usage on K fares.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Stopover at SYD for a few days

Is it possible to stopover at SYD for a few days on the way back from MEL to LAX?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:21 pm

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
Is it possible to stopover at SYD for a few days on the way back from MEL to LAX?
Surely but you will have to be on your own for booking a separate flight from MEL to SYD on some other airline and then changing your itn on UA so you could fly a few days later from SYD to LAX. UA does not sell seats on MEL-SYD segments alone. They are not permitted to do so.

You will not be able to book MEL-SYD with a stopover in SYD before you continue to LAX as a revenue ticket on UA.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Yes it can be done.

Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer
Surely but you will have to be on your own for booking a separate flight from MEL to SYD on some other airline and then changing your itn on UA so you could fly a few days later from SYD to LAX. UA does not sell seats on MEL-SYD segments alone. They are not permitted to do so.

You will not be able to book MEL-SYD with a stopover in SYD before you continue to LAX as a revenue ticket on UA.
I was allowed to do this last year. Because the drop-off charge for my rental car was so outrageous, I decided to fly MEL-SYD instead of driving. It did cost me about $500- for two pax. In summation, my original itinerary was SFO-MEL, SYD-SFO, returning 3 weeks later. I added the MEL-SYD segment, making my itinerary, SFO-MEL, MEL-SYD 10 days later, SYD-SFO on my original flight, all on UA metal.

Good Luck!

Last edited by zombietooth; Aug 14, 2010 at 2:07 am Reason: correction
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:08 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by UA Mike
I'll be doing LAX-SYD-LAX over this weekend with an overnight in Sydney on Sunday. I've booked a Blue Mountains day tour for Sunday morning so I'm hoping there aren't any flight delays. I know I'll be tired (after sitting in exit row Y), but I've heard that the Blue Mountains are quite spectacular.
I am sure you will love the Blue Mountains, its well worth doing. Enjoy

Hope your flight is oversold so you might get a special op-up surprise to C .

I have never flown the exit rows in Y but I have done the E+ middle block aisle - its doable but of course I would rather be upstairs .
Old Aug 13, 2010, 2:10 am

Programs: United 1k
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
I have never flown the exit rows in Y but I have done the E+ middle block aisle - its doable but of course I would rather be upstairs .
Blue Mountains are magnificent. Enjoy.

The exit rows are actually pretty good. Upstairs (or turning left on boarding) of course beats it - but pretty good. I sleep pretty well.

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
Yes they can do it. $90 gets you an UFC to C. Which can be pretty cool. I know it is short trip and all - but hell its 90 bucks,

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 13, 2010 at 5:05 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
ORD-SFO (long layover) - SYD - check-in/arrive at airport?

I will soon be taking a late morning flight from ORD-SFO, and then from SFO-SYD late at night on the same day, all on the same PNR. Anyone know if I (a) can do online checkin for this and (2) will get boarding passes all the way through to SYD? Also, will I need to arrive at ORD in the morning as if it were a normal domestic flight for me, or as if it was an "international" flight (even though it is purely domestic), i.e., 2 hours or so early? I don't have any checked bags or anything (MR), and I'd prefer to not be waiting around at ORD if not needed, esp. early in the morning.

Many thanks for any answers to this quick question.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by dcchi
I will soon be taking a late morning flight from ORD-SFO, and then from SFO-SYD late at night on the same day, all on the same PNR. Anyone know if I (a) can do online checkin for this and (2) will get boarding passes all the way through to SYD? Also, will I need to arrive at ORD in the morning as if it were a normal domestic flight for me, or as if it was an "international" flight (even though it is purely domestic), i.e., 2 hours or so early? I don't have any checked bags or anything (MR), and I'd prefer to not be waiting around at ORD if not needed, esp. early in the morning.

Many thanks for any answers to this quick question.
Yes you can normally do OLCI for this type of trip, unless UA has never laid eyes on your passport (you might be required to present at check in desk). But I think this is less of an issue these days, as long as you fill in all the requested passport info when you do OLCI (online check in).

Yes you will get BPs all the way through to SYD. I have not departed ORD before, but I have done this trip connecting from JFK, LAS, and LAX and I always get 2 sets of BPs.

I am unsure re the check in time, as I always get to the airport at least 2 hrs prior and like to allow more time than less. I usually have my daughter with me and some checked luggage on our long trips. I guess you could try for 90 mins if that is what is allowed for ORD and NO checked luggage.

Good luck and enjoy your trip
Old Aug 13, 2010, 5:56 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
We flew LIH to SFO to Syd, printed up all our boarding passes at home(you will need to put in your passport number). Bags checked all the way to SYD from LIH and no-one looked at our passports until we were in immigration in SYD.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 6:11 pm

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I was allowed to do this last year. Because the drop-off charge for my rental car was so outrageous, I decided to fly MEL-SYD instead of driving. It did cost my about $500- for two pax. In summation, my original itinerary was SFO-MEL, SYD-SFO, returning 3 weeks later. I added the MEL-SYD segment, making my itinerary, SFO-MEL, MEL-SYD 10 days later, SYD-SFO on my original flight, all on UA metal.
How did you do this? Who did you talk to? 1K desk said that UA is not permitted to sell SYD-MEL or MEL-SYD segments in Australia. Indeed, there are separate flight numbers for these segments apart from their connecting flights either to or from SFO/LAX.

I am not disputing your case. I am merely curious. Of course this might be another instance of 1K desk misleading me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.