Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Adds Second Daily Nonstop Service between SFO-HKG (back to daily till 28 Mar 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Adds Second Daily Nonstop Service between SFO-HKG (back to daily till 28 Mar 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by whitethunder
Already seeing some PZ space for some random dates next year, hope this trend continues!!
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
When the flight was loaded, you could even seen lots of I space. It's since been pulled back.

PZ has never been impossible on this route over the past year or two though.
Just curious: what approximate timeframe are you seeing the PZ, and how much? Some flights I was eyeing (mid-December SFO-HKG and early January HKG-SFO) were at PZ9 I9 when the flight got loaded on Thursday, but all the space got pulled before I could act on it, within a matter of hours.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dkc192
Some flights I was eyeing (mid-December SFO-HKG and early January HKG-SFO) were at PZ9 I9 when the flight got loaded on Thursday, but all the space got pulled before I could act on it, within a matter of hours.
My guess is they're mostly going to keep the PZ locked down for a while to see how the new flights sell.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
My guess is they're mostly going to keep the PZ locked down for a while to see how the new flights sell.
That's my guess too...especially given past experience with the SFO-AMS flight. Though the new second SFO-ICN frequency has been a hotbed of PZ in my limited searching (both before and after launch), so who knows!
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
AMS has started seeing a fair bit of PZ and IN in the last month or two, at least IME.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by sincx
Really? How so? I always thought a 10-across 777 seat is just that: a terrible 16.8" wide seat.
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Can you quantify the exact improvement? Thx.
I was going by this article: https://thepointsguy.com/news/where-...d-772-economy/

"Aspire isn’t a complete reinvention of the economy seat, of course — the design is very similar to recent models, including those on the United 777-300ER (77W) — but according to UA these are a bit wider, at 17.25 inches compared to 17.05 on the 77W."

Sad to "celebrate" a width increase of .20 to a still-cramped 17.25 inches.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by CApreppie
Sad to "celebrate" a width increase of .20 to a still-cramped 17.25 inches.
Okay so the seat is incrementally (0.2") wider but are the armrests narrower?
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by oopl
Okay so the seat is incrementally (0.2") wider but are the armrests narrower?
I was wondering where they got the .2" width - it didn't say. That was one of the methods that I came up as well.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Same fare on CX. SQ $70 cheaper. SFO-HKG will support higher fares than SEA-HKG (or LAX-HKG). That's why UA is adding capacity from SFO.
I don't know that SFO will intrinsically support higher fares, I think the issue is that SEA is a much smaller market (probably 1/4 the OD to HKG) and it is drivable to YVR, which has considerable competition, and resulting cheap fares to HKG. As a practical matter, for some people who live on the North side of Seattle (e.g. Everett) at some times it is probably quicker to drive to YVR than to SEA.

I think that this move - which hey, is good - has more to do with UA having to compete with CX's day and night offerings, and two other carriers, and (Props to Kirby for doing so, making the moves to try to compete). For the reasons you say, am/pm departures work better for different people, and my guess is UA thinks it will pick up some traffic now going via CX/SQ by having both options, and in particular the second flight ex-SFO will work much better for connection traffic, and a later departure from HKG will allow trans-boarder traffic to come in/fly in from China w/o having to come in the night before and stay in a hotel.

Originally Posted by deskover54
I've twice in the last year purchased SFO HKG for $460 round trip. It surprises me they can support 2 of these flights. Happy though. I'd rather have Hangzhou back or a 3rd PVG flight but that's just a personal opinion
I have seen the same thing, full in the summer, at x-mas, and then over CNY, but otherwise there is often space, and cheap in Y. My guess is that this is a competitive response, i.e. knowing that protecting the J/corporate accounts traffic requires a second flight, even if the Y loads will not be so hot.

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
I'm with you. Economy fares are dirt cheap on that route. There's also plenty of PZ space on that route. I think the move was purely defensive as the Asian carriers are sucking away significant traffic because evening departures save a work day on each side of a RT. I think UA will take some flyers from Asian carriers, but nowhere near the 40% they're increasing capacity. Net, net is GPU clearance should increase and PZ should cotinue to be plentiful!
+1. Glad UA is doing this, but given upgrade space, and Y fares, I see it as defense, and a needed addition to compete, not an e.g. of so much demand they want to cash in on it.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I am hopeful that United continues to develop an evening TPAC bank from SFO. The schedule flexibility is nice and the AM/early PM SFO departure push is maxed out. It also allows a later-than-the-crack-of-dawn departure from the East Coast if a SFO transfer is necessary.
Kacee and oopl like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EWR764
I am hopeful that United continues to develop an evening TPAC bank from SFO. The schedule flexibility is nice and the AM/early PM SFO departure push is maxed out. It also allows a later-than-the-crack-of-dawn departure from the East Coast if a SFO transfer is necessary.
I will choose the late departure every time. That's at least 50% of the reason I've stopped flying UA TPAC in favor of CX/BR/SQ.
Originally Posted by spin88
I don't know that SFO will intrinsically support higher fares
I'm pretty sure it will. There's simply more money and economic activity in the bay area, particularly in the sectors that tend to drive premium cabin demand.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I will choose the late departure every time. That's at least 50% of the reason I've stopped flying UA TPAC in favor of CX/BR/SQ.

I'm pretty sure it will. There's simply more money and economic activity in the bay area, particularly in the sectors that tend to drive premium cabin demand.
Hence my grumbling that UA didn’t make the 789s more premium rich post conversion. Another two rows of $599 RT fares v the chance to collect $3k or $5k per extra PP or J seat...
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
+1 to all of this. Maybe they've seen how successful AA has been with its similarly timed LAX-HKG flight, which pushed them to launch this new SFO-HKG frequency. Hopefully they'll continue flexing their muscle at SFO and roll out similar flights to TYO (similar to NH's LAX-HND), ICN (shift that poorly timed second flight), and PVG.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
And add BKK,SGN,BOM,MAA,BLR,KUL,HGH,CAN,BNE,Fiji NS pairs...even on the ghetto-ized 788s
Old Jul 18, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
And add BKK,SGN,BOM,MAA,BLR,KUL,HGH,CAN,BNE,Fiji NS pairs...even on the ghetto-ized 788s
if UA orders, at least, 10-15 new B788. There is potential for success for some of these routes such as BKK and SGN. It is better to have LAX-SGN for 4-5 flights per week and the rest for SFO-SGN.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kmxu

if UA orders, at least, 10-15 new B788. There is potential for success for some of these routes such as BKK and SGN. It is better to have LAX-SGN for 4-5 flights per week and the rest for SFO-SGN.
Haven't heard/read anything that indicates UA is planning on taking any more 788s. I believe they ordered 12 or 14 more 789s, plus 4 more 77Ws. UA's international route strategy this year has seemed to be more about fortifying existing destinations with routes from its hubs (e.g. DEN-FRA, SFO-AMS, SFO-DEL, etc.) as opposed to adding any new destinations, which it seems to be doing more on a one-off seasonal basis from EWR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.