Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Adds Second Daily Nonstop Service between SFO-HKG (back to daily till 28 Mar 2020)

UA Adds Second Daily Nonstop Service between SFO-HKG (back to daily till 28 Mar 2020)

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 11, 19, 6:04 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 7, 19, 12:38 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Tonights HKG-SFO is old config, and currently showing 31/50 with only 8 non-revs on the upgrade list.

My upgraded cleared about 10 days ago when the seat map was showing only about 15 seats taken.
Old Dec 7, 19, 2:29 am

Programs: AC
Upgrade to business cleared right away for a flight in January. Still showing 9 spots available for upgrade and the plane seems pretty empty. Old configuration showing. Maybe I will get lucky and it will change.
Old Dec 7, 19, 8:22 am

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by canforce View Post
Upgrade to business cleared right away for a flight in January. Still showing 9 spots available for upgrade and the plane seems pretty empty. Old configuration showing. Maybe I will get lucky and it will change.
Low and behold I just checked again and it is now showing as a polaris equipped aircraft. My lucky day.
Aussienarelle and NYC2SGN like this.
Old Dec 7, 19, 8:41 am

Programs: UA MM 1K
Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
Not including the lower part of the bay area is disingenuous. Most of San Jose's travel demand goes out of SFO. If you take the whole bay area, at almost 10 million population, it's the 3rd largest metro area in the US.

Exactly what I meant.
Where are you getting these population figures? 10 million? I see 6.7 million (combined SF/Oakland and San Jose metro areas)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...tistical_areas
Old Dec 7, 19, 8:59 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
Where are you getting these population figures? 10 million? I see 6.7 million (combined SF/Oakland and San Jose metro areas)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...tistical_areas
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_...atistical_Area

San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland CSA 2018 estimate is 9,666,055.
Old Dec 7, 19, 12:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

PP is being sold in late January again. So they gave up on the pmCO equipment?
Old Dec 7, 19, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K; DL DM; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks View Post
PP is being sold in late January again. So they gave up on the pmCO equipment?
I hope so...
Old Dec 7, 19, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
PP is being sold in late January again.
Just reappeared today. Was not there last night.

My December 26 flight is still old J.

So they gave up on the pmCO equipment?
Or they figure they'll have enough Polaris aircraft to commit them to this route.
Old Dec 7, 19, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL SM/MM, HH Dia, All Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Just reappeared today. Was not there last night.
Indeed; it wasn't that way 2 hours ago. Very pleased to see this.
Old Dec 7, 19, 5:36 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
Tonights HKG-SFO is old config, and currently showing 31/50 with only 8 non-revs on the upgrade list.

My upgraded cleared about 10 days ago when the seat map was showing only about 15 seats taken.
obviously we don’t know their internal decision process, but they seem to be trying to get the Polaris seats on the routes with reasonable loads in front. (Also might have to do with the return legs from HKG they they feed)

my AM SFO flight next week is only about half full up front, so I am bracing for old seats.

example - tomorrows EWR outbound is pretty full and has new. As are both SFO.

Then again, Monday’s flights seem to have no pattern

Btw it’s hard to tell what they’re doing with PP seats in advance. I hadn’t noticed the seat map they’re using is vague about rows 20-22. Most are “full” in those seats but a few show empty seats
Old Dec 7, 19, 6:38 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_...atistical_Area

San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland CSA 2018 estimate is 9,666,055.
While that figure is not the one IMHO to use if you are talking domestic flights (as SMF, OAK, SJC all pull substantial traffic), for international flights to Asia, you can probably throw another 2.2 million people onto that number, all in the Sacramento MSA. Going to Europe, connecting is usually easier, although some will make the treck to SFO, but going to Asia, SFO is the easiest jumping off point, the only other real options are a flight to SEA and connect there.

But I think the bigger point is not just the number of people, but that so many industries with a lot of international J travel are in the Bay Area (and also up in Sacramento) all of which are tightly tied to Asian and also European (and now Isreali) high tech and medical industries.
helvetic likes this.
Old Dec 7, 19, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by hscottm View Post
Btw it’s hard to tell what they’re doing with PP seats in advance. I hadn’t noticed the seat map they’re using is vague about rows 20-22. Most are “full” in those seats but a few show empty seats
i realize this part of my post makes no sense. Try again:

how have they been dealing with the PP section on flights where a 772 with PP is dispatched? It’s not sold so it’s not showing up on the upgrade list screen (as “upgraded to PP”)

Are they just moving up people to PP “for free” even though it would otherwise cost 30 plus points? That’s actually not so bad.
Old Dec 7, 19, 8:13 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by hscottm View Post
how have they been dealing with the PP section on flights where a 772 with PP is dispatched?
PP seats are marked as E+ seats on routes that don't sell them.
Old Dec 8, 19, 12:40 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by spin88 View Post
While that figure is not the one IMHO to use if you are talking domestic flights (as SMF, OAK, SJC all pull substantial traffic), for international flights to Asia, you can probably throw another 2.2 million people onto that number, all in the Sacramento MSA. Going to Europe, connecting is usually easier, although some will make the treck to SFO, but going to Asia, SFO is the easiest jumping off point, the only other real options are a flight to SEA and connect there.

But I think the bigger point is not just the number of people, but that so many industries with a lot of international J travel are in the Bay Area (and also up in Sacramento) all of which are tightly tied to Asian and also European (and now Isreali) high tech and medical industries.
Agree 100%
Old Dec 9, 19, 12:01 pm

I'm on the early (#869) flight SFO-HKG on Wednesday, and the seat maps have been showing light J loads for a while (its about 50% full).

Given the current "feature" of seeing the upgrade list early, I was shocked to see there were also currently ZERO people listed for upgrades as of this morning. I checked back a little while ago and there are three now. Still surprised given this route, but then again, its midweek.

All of this made me pretty surprised I won the lottery (for the time being) about getting an updated 772 for the flight. But the AM flight has seemed like a consistent winner in this lottery for the last week.

Search this Thread