Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Adds Second Daily Nonstop Service between SFO-HKG (back to daily till 28 Mar 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Adds Second Daily Nonstop Service between SFO-HKG (back to daily till 28 Mar 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Agreed the flight could (and probably will) sell out in J, but it's still a bit surprising to see only 16/50 booked, considering that's basically four flights worth of pax now consolidated into one.
It's business travel in 2 months... during the slow season (for them). It's a long time out.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ryman554
It's business travel in 2 months... during the slow season (for them). It's a long time out.
Taking into consideration the three cancelled flights (EWR, ORD, 1 SFO), that's the equivalent of booked 16/208 in terms of original capacity.

As someone who's upgraded this flight at least two dozen times over the past six years, I can assure you that booked 7.6% just eight weeks out is an extremely light load. I always felt comfortable (and had 100% success) waitlisting inside eight weeks if the 744 J cabin was booked 30% or less (16/52).
Old Nov 26, 2019, 3:50 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
Just flew UA877 (the night flight) and for all the purser’s “official” announcements before departure and on landing he said -

I haven’t heard that one before. Is this new official blurb, or the purser using the leeway given to staff Re announcements? Or perhaps that this flight passed well over the PRC rather than Japan and skirting the coast.
UA has a HK crew base, perhaps they're locals who have strong opinions about the issues and this is their way of calling attention to it.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Except almost none of this is likely to happen except maybe a return of the Polaris seat, assuming the flight sticks.
Both flights have the Polaris seat… I just flew it the other day. They've downgraded to a reconfigured 772 with 50 J seats vs. the larger 77W.

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Good and getting better? There is something quite sick about the HKG market when service is “suspended” from the airline’s largest hub and cut by over 50% from another.
SFO is definitely UA's strongest gateway to Asia, and arguably its most important and fastest growing market. The speed at which service has been added to SFO lately has been astonishing. Thanks to tech.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 26, 2019 at 4:20 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote
Old Nov 26, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by EWR764
I mean, I've taken flights (including TPAC) that have empty premium cabins ~2 months out, only to reach day of departure, and find myself hopelessly buried on the UG list... even with an instrument. Kind of a silly comment from Lucky, who clearly knows the drill in this regard.

HKG's collapse has been remarkable, and as predominantly an endpoint for UA (not a partner hub), it is heavily exposed to the exogenous factors that are negatively impacting local traffic. I am hopeful it can bounce back.
United works with Cathay on regional flights so does offer connecting traffic from HKG. I just flew CAN-HKG-SFO/EWR on a UA fare connecting onto KA.

They also used to operate quite a few narrowbodies out of their HKG hub, but that's long gone of course.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by helvetic
Both flights have the Polaris seat… I just flew it the other day. They've downgraded to a reconfigured 772 with 50 J seats vs. the larger 77W.
The Polaris 772s are only on the HKG route until early December, at which point the pmCO 772s sub in until March, which means both a loss of guaranteed (more or less) Polaris seating and P+ too. Of course, there's still a chance that a Polaris 772 gets swapped in inside of T-60.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
The Polaris 772s are only on the HKG route until early December, at which point the pmCO 772s sub in until March, which means both a loss of guaranteed (more or less) Polaris seating and P+ too. Of course, there's still a chance that a Polaris 772 gets swapped in inside of T-60.
Well that really sucks…
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:43 pm

May not be in the right thread but UA is selling online SFO-HKG-TPE with HKG-TPE in either CX or HX. This is an ideal routing as the flight leaves late at night (saves a pto day compared to taking the nonstop) but for baggage, if I check 3 in SF, will I be dinged in HKG during transfer to a non-star carrier even though united issued the whole ticket? Not sure why United doesn’t just connect to a EVA flight.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by myperks
May not be in the right thread but UA is selling online SFO-HKG-TPE with HKG-TPE in either CX or HX. This is an ideal routing as the flight leaves late at night (saves a pto day compared to taking the nonstop) but for baggage, if I check 3 in SF, will I be dinged in HKG during transfer to a non-star carrier even though united issued the whole ticket? Not sure why United doesn’t just connect to a EVA flight.
If UA accepts the bags, the final carrier will deliver them. They can follow up with United after the fact for payment. They won’t know, and shouldn’t care, whether you paid UA separately for extra luggage or if they gave it to you for free.

Your issue would be on the return, where CX or HX will give you the regular United allowance for your class of service.
myperks likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
If UA accepts the bags, the final carrier will deliver them. They can follow up with United after the fact for payment. They won’t know, and shouldn’t care, whether you paid UA separately for extra luggage or if they gave it to you for free.

Your issue would be on the return, where CX or HX will give you the regular United allowance for your class of service.
ok thanks. The return is no problem since I’m planning on taking the United nonstop back to SF. It’s only on the outbound the red eye timing is better.
jsloan likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Funny how UA is also selling SFO-TPE-HKG with BR flying the short segment. Not sure why not CX/KA/HX. Maybe 871/872 can only connect to/from the last/first BR flight. If you want to fly PP to HKG 871/872 are probably the best option.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Funny how UA is also selling SFO-TPE-HKG with BR flying the short segment. Not sure why not CX/KA/HX. Maybe 871/872 can only connect to/from the last/first BR flight. If you want to fly PP to HKG 871/872 are probably the best option.
United has an agreement to allow connecting to further destinations from HKG with CX/KA, despite them otherwise not working closely together.

Likewise, UA has an agreement for connecting beyond TPE with BR, but they're not close partners and it doesn't extend much further than that.

They'll always try to push you to their JV partners like NH, and between KA and OZ or BR there's little difference to them.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: United Plat
Google Flights can get you SFO-HKG on UA and HKG-TPE on BR. The HKG connection is more expensive than non-stop UA 871/872.

Another trick is to use "multi-segment" on United.com. Do four segments: SFO-HKG, HKG-TPE, TPE-HKG, HKG-SFO. United.com will display BR flights in this case. No CX or HX between HKG and TPE. However, if I only do round-trip, SFO-TPE, CX or HX would come up as much more expensive options.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by helvetic

SFO is definitely UA's strongest gateway to Asia, and arguably its most important and fastest growing market. The speed at which service has been added to SFO lately has been astonishing. Thanks to tech.
This is nonsense. Per UA, SFO is their #5 hub behind ORD, IAH, DEN, and EWR. DEN is the fastest growing of all their hubs.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
This is nonsense. Per UA, SFO is their #5 hub behind ORD, IAH, DEN, and EWR. DEN is the fastest growing of all their hubs.
You are missing the "to Asia" part. SFO is the strongest hub "to Asia". Hard to argue with that!
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by JNelson113
You are missing the "to Asia" part. SFO is the strongest hub "to Asia". Hard to argue with that!
Maybe it was a poorly worded post I was responding to. In essence, as it reads, the claim after the "and" is SFO is (United's) most important and fastest growing market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.