Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Adds Second Daily Nonstop Service between SFO-HKG (back to daily till 28 Mar 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Adds Second Daily Nonstop Service between SFO-HKG (back to daily till 28 Mar 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
So what gates has 877 been using? If near lower 40s/60s has the plane been parked there until the midday departures or has it been towed to the hangar? IIRC ever since SGN/SIN were terminated, evening arrivals no longer had to use the 40s/60s to facilitate transfers/lounges. I’ve seen arrivals using the former 15-19 then towed away.
We arrived at 30. A perfect compromise between transiting and terminating pax.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think the proper comparison to CX lounges would be Wing vs. Bridge, as Bridge is more or less adjacent to UC, whereas the Pier is an extra five minute hike out to gate 65 (and convenient only to a very small number of gates). Crowding in Wing and Bridge is very very similar (i.e., really bad).
I deliberately left out CX's The Bridge in the comparison to emphasize my point that, just because the SQ SKL is much more popular than the UC doesn't mean it's much better appointed than the UC. The Bridge is the first lounge that transit pax from the high-numbered gates see as they emerge from security screening downstairs. So, like The Wing, it's the most convenient lounge for those who are already at the far end of T1. The *A pax mix, just by the non-hub nature of the carriers, is predominantly (not saying completely) O-D, so the SQ SKL is the most convenient of the 3 *A lounges and, needless to say, the most crowded.

To further illustrate my point, I dislike The Bridge immensely because of the crowds. Having used it once, I now blow right past it on my way to The Pier by gate ~64, regardless of whether I am originating or transiting in HKG.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
I deliberately left out CX's The Bridge in the comparison to emphasize my point that, just because the SQ SKL is much more popular than the UC doesn't mean it's much better appointed than the UC.
The comparison disprove your point.

It's fine that you prefer the UC, there are plenty valid reasons for that, [Moderator edit per FT Rule 12]

I'll add that SKL location is actually rather out of the way. Nor is the Wing particularly easy to find. The main reasons for the Wing's crowding IMO are (i) it's still the original, and best known of the CX lounges, (ii) several of the long haul flights (including SFO) consistently depart from the adjacent gates, and (iii) it's quite small.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Nov 5, 2019 at 9:05 pm Reason: See note above. - to avoid undue personalization of another member's opinion.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Originally Posted by hscottm
i think the Downgauge on all HKG to non Polaris doesn’t happen until December .. look at a seat map for say dec 11.

meaning don’t stress that it will be forced upon you..
Yes, I see it starting 12/3 on the evening flight departing SFO.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:44 pm

One of the positives of having 772s on this route is functional wifi.

The arrival meal into SFO - 6:50 pm scheduled arrival - is breakfast
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
One of the positives of having 772s on this route is functional wifi.

The arrival meal into SFO - 6:50 pm scheduled arrival - is breakfast
"United Airlines - the transpacific Denny's."
bocastephen, wpcoe, narvik and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 1K; DL DM; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle
On UA877, there seems to be 3 seats blocked in J every day this week.

1A is usually the seat that is used for crew rest, right? Are there actually 3 seats that are blocked for crew rest?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NYC2SGN
On UA877, there seems to be 3 seats blocked in J every day this week.

1A is usually the seat that is used for crew rest, right? Are there actually 3 seats that are blocked for crew rest?
Perhaps guarding against a swap to a pmUA IPTE 777, which has 48 J seats (8 old GF seats plus 40 old BF seats), two fewer than the 50 J count on both the Polaris and pmCO configurations.
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by fumje
"United Airlines - the transpacific Denny's."
Unfortunately United’s breakfast omelette is not up to the Denny quality!

The offering of breakfast entrees as second meal options across the transpacific flights (in both direction) is just laziness and lack of understanding of customer preference.
May be the Soup Nazi is managing onboard catering at UA.
chavala likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

Not possible though, as he at least, offered a desirable culinary product.
chavala likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by narvik

Not possible though, as he at least, offered a desirable culinary product.

artvandalay and narvik like this.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Unfortunately United’s breakfast omelette is not up to the Denny quality!

The offering of breakfast entrees as second meal options across the transpacific flights (in both direction) is just laziness and lack of understanding of customer preference.
You are right, United won't come close to serving a grand slam breakfast.

And regarding Mr. Soup Nazi -- that explains the demise of Global First!
Old Nov 22, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Sometime today, UA862 (HKG-SFO) on 31 Jan went from few seats occupied in Y and all fare classes open, to all non-E+ seats showing as occupied and Y5 B0 (plus business class open, including P9). What might this be from, a large tour booking? I've been looking for PZ inventory and so have been watching the flight (and ones around that date) fairly closely the past few weeks. Just curious.

Last edited by FlytheTail; Nov 22, 2019 at 9:20 pm Reason: Corrected mistake, flight is to SFO (not ORD)
Old Nov 22, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Sometime today, UA862 (HKG-ORD) on 31 Jan went from few seats occupied in Y and all fare classes open, to all non-E+ seats showing as occupied and Y5 B0 (plus business class open, including P9). What might this be from, a large tour booking? I've been looking for PZ inventory and so have been watching the flight (and ones around that date) fairly closely the past few weeks. Just curious.
They are resuming ORD-HKG? I thought it had been suspended indefinitely.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
They are resuming ORD-HKG? I thought it had been suspended indefinitely.
UA862 is in fact the noon HKG-SFO flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.