Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No cabin lights on during daylight - why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No cabin lights on during daylight - why?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:38 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Austin787
In my experience, crew usually demands shades be shut on long haul international flights, but on shorter flights they give passengers control of the shades. Not just United, but all airlines I have flown including foreign airlines. I like the electronic shades on 787s - even when fully dimmed I can still see outside.

Cabin lights are usually on during boarding, meal times, and deplaning; off other times.
They can "demand" as much as they want, but if I want my shade up, I'll have my shade up.
enviroian, copperred and kale73 like this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by dav662
It means that passengers have no say in keeping the window shades open or shut. The crew as the representatives of the Captain have the say. If they say keep it closed and if a passenger refuses then it could be escalated by them as not obeying the instructions of the flight crew. This is an offence. I do not know how it is in USA and FAA but in most countries not obeying the crew is an offence. The crew members are responsible for the safety and comfort of all the passengers. Hence if they request a passenger to either sit down or close the shades it is a lawful request and if any passenger interferes or not obeys the request then it can be construed as obstructing the crew doing their duty. Of course if the passenger refuses to close the crew will close it and then if the passenger opens it it becomes worse.
Given that the conversation revolves around a domestic flight on a US airline and the FAA is the arbiter, any reference to anything beyond FAA regs is useless. Please point to us in the regs where a request which does not materially alter the safety of the aircraft operation is "an offence". Chapter and verse.It's not. You trying to make a window shade on par with trying to smash open a window in flight is poppycock.

NB: The captain is not a dictator who marshals their staff, that's quite the opposite both of law and good CRM.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
They can "demand" as much as they want, but if I want my shade up, I'll have my shade up.
The thing is that this technically qualifies as not following crew instructions (at least when an FA demands it) is "interference" which is in breach of 14 CFR 121.580 (penalty defined by 49 USC 46504). All it takes is for the FA to say that (s)he felt intimidated and of course the company/captain will have his/her back and the pax always gets the short straw.
dav662 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:29 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by mozilla
The thing is that this technically qualifies as not following crew instructions (at least when an FA demands it) is "interference" which is in breach of 14 CFR 121.580 (penalty defined by 49 USC 46504). All it takes is for the FA to say that (s)he felt intimidated and of course the company/captain will have his/her back and the pax always gets the short straw.
This actually happened to me once that I "defied" the instruction to close my shade. There was nobody next to me (thank you GS) on the 2-4-2 777. I assume it was never escalated as nothing ever happened. This was a HKG-ORD flight. For the record, I eventually did close the shade after a few hours but it was totally my decision.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by copperred
Given that the conversation revolves around a domestic flight on a US airline and the FAA is the arbiter, any reference to anything beyond FAA regs is useless. Please point to us in the regs where a request which does not materially alter the safety of the aircraft operation is "an offence". Chapter and verse.It's not. You trying to make a window shade on par with trying to smash open a window in flight is poppycock.

NB: The captain is not a dictator who marshals their staff, that's quite the opposite both of law and good CRM.
It has got nothing to do with the safety of the aircraft in following the crew's instructions as per the shades being up. If you play loud music too they can order you to stop it and if you refuse it is the same. Getting a window seat does not mean any passenger owns the window. He simply gets a seat that is adjacent to the window. Even if a passenger books a window seat the airline has the right to change the seat as they see fit. Yes the passenger will and can complain but thats the way it is. So long as the passenger is given a seat he has to fly if he wants to fly. It cannot be denied boarding at all. The same way with involuntary downgrading too.

Another OP has already quoted the relevant laws on the instruction of the crew.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
This is why I prefer the 787 flights and the FA’s can control the shades. Except for takeoff and landing they are not necessary.

Holding up up a book (or now my iPad) to stop sunlight going directly in my eye just isn’t cool.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer

This is why I prefer the 787 flights and the FA’s can control the shades. Except for takeoff and landing they are not necessary.

Holding up up a book (or now my iPad) to stop sunlight going directly in my eye just isn’t cool.
Yeah, I guess that is the major problem with shades-up; it is very difficult to watch IFE with glare coming from across the cabin. The lower the angle, the worse it is.

I always comply with a request from a fellow pax to close my shade if I am in a window. It's no big deal.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mozilla
Not if someone is recording it on a cell phone and it goes 'viral' on social media. @:-)

Also not sure what judge / jury would believe an open window shade in any way "interferes" with a crew member. OTOH, insisting that the shade remain closed when a crew member asks one to open it (so s/he can ascertain whether or not there is damage to the wing, for example) would be construable as interference.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:34 pm

Not if someone is recording it on a cell phone and it goes 'viral' on social media.

Also not sure what judge / jury would believe an open window shade in any way "interferes" with a crew member. OTOH, insisting that the shade remain closed when a crew member asks one to open it (so s/he can ascertain whether or not there is damage to the wing, for example) would be construable as interference.
  • The crew is also responsible for the comfort of the passengers. I guess in the USA everything ends up in the court. In most of the other countries it would not. As others have mentioned the reading lights are there for passengers to read. If the glare from the sun or light from the outside is making it difficult for other passengers then the crew will instruct the shades to be closed and that is their right.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dav662
The crew is also responsible for the comfort of the passengers.
I'll try to remember that next time I'm stuck in an E- middle seat between two "passengers of size".
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by kale73
I'll try to remember that next time I'm stuck in an E- middle seat between two "passengers of size".
I have been allowed to move every time that has happened and there are free seats. I am sure you would be too.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:58 pm

I have asked this before but for those who feel that others should use eye shades, do you do the same when/if you want to sleep? Or do you close the window? If the latter, I am confused.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by findark
You're looking for sunflight.net
Thanks! I had no idea that there was such a website, but it is perfect for both "diagonal" flights as well as north/south flights! I ran it for flights to/from SCL (Santiago de Chile) at different times of the year and it made perfect sense. Kudos to whoever created it and thanks to you for bringing it to broader notice.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daisyatl
I have asked this before but for those who feel that others should use eye shades, do you do the same when/if you want to sleep? Or do you close the window? If the latter, I am confused.
I have absolutely no problem falling asleep in broad daylight which in my younger days resulted in several beach vacation sunburns.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
For those of you who find the reading light too dim or mis-aimed, buy a book light. There are hundreds available in every color, shape, price range....

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 29, 2019 at 12:23 pm Reason: discuss the issue; not the poster(s)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.