Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA153 DUB-ORD making tech stop (pilot timeout) at EWR 26 June 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver

Can anyone make sense of this? Flight is supposedly departing at 4:30pm (4hrs late) although app doesn’t reflect that, says we are stopping to change pilots in EWR and no passengers allowed off plane (although everyone would prefer to get off for connections at EWR), and then the app is now saying we have just a quick 30-min hop from EWR-ORD. What a mess! Zero coordination on all fronts.

Last edited by nycflyer222; Jun 26, 2019 at 9:11 am Reason: Clarification
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For those who have not memorized the UA schedule, this is UA 153 DUB-ORD. Today, it is making a technical diversion to EWR to pick up crew so that it does not have to be cancelled at EWR.

CBP does not generally clear flights for alternate airports unless the flight terminates and there is an emergency situation which cannot otherwise be handled. If anyone is permitted to offload, that means clearing the entire flight and thus ORD passengers and luggage offloaded, cleared and reloaded. That extends the ground delay at EWR from the current 40 minutes to a good 2-3 hours at least.

I see the EWR-ORD hop as posted for 18:15 to 19:08 (1:53 flying time). Remember that ORD is Central Time.

Rather than complaining, I see this as UA going the extra mile to get passengers to ORD as scheduled & ticketed.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
CBP does not generally clear flights for alternate airports
DUB is a preclearance airport.

If I had to guess, I'd say that somebody ran the numbers and there were fewer EC.261 payouts if they continued the flight ASAP from EWR rather than giving people a chance to deplane and connect through EWR. Perhaps later flights were full. I highly doubt that "everyone" would rather get off of the plane at EWR. This is the least amount of delay possible for passengers terminating at ORD.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Seems like they are doing the swap rather than canceling the flight due to crew timeout. The bigger issue with letting pax off in EWR is keeping track of where they went and what to do with their bags. Generally speaking not worth the hassle.

Code:
 0153/26JUN
F DUB/ETD    330P  L03.05
P EWR/ETA    555P FLAG STOP-INTERM-ETD  615P PREVIOUS STOP DUB
P EWR/ETD    615P
P ORD/ETA    800P
D FCF/FSTOP EWR ENRT DUB-ORD A/FLIGHT DECK CREW
D HDQ/DUB ORD PROT UNDER GG CNL MMY

SKED  DUB  ORIG   1225P              GTD USPC SHIP 3127
      ORD   250P  TERM      GTA  B14
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Rather than complaining, I see this as UA going the extra mile to get passengers to ORD as scheduled & ticketed.
Forgive me for complaining. Just noting after 4 hours of delay, it may make sense to reconsider the route given it’s a plane full of people making connections. Opportunities dwindle as the day goes on...

The app is not up-to-date with those times...

Last edited by nycflyer222; Jun 26, 2019 at 9:09 am Reason: Adjustment
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those who have not memorized the UA schedule, this is UA 153 DUB-ORD. Today, it is making a technical diversion to EWR to pick up crew so that it does not have to be cancelled at EWR.

CBP does not generally clear flights for alternate airports unless the flight terminates and there is an emergency situation which cannot otherwise be handled. If anyone is permitted to offload, that means clearing the entire flight and thus ORD passengers and luggage offloaded, cleared and reloaded. That extends the ground delay at EWR from the current 40 minutes to a good 2-3 hours at least.

I see the EWR-ORD hop as posted for 18:15 to 19:08 (1:53 flying time). Remember that ORD is Central Time.

Not sure about the 'as scheduled' part.

It would be great if the IRROPS handling could incorporate situations like this, but they happen so rarely that it's not surprising they want everyone to go to ORD and have the re-accommodations start from there.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
With a four hour delay, most everyone's going to miss at ORD, so if I were in OP's shoes I would probably be questioning why they don't just let pax off at EWR, too. I can also appreciate that would create some real logistical issues for UA. So something of a no win here.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by jsloan
DUB is a preclearance airport.

If I had to guess, I'd say that somebody ran the numbers and there were fewer EC.261 payouts if they continued the flight ASAP from EWR rather than giving people a chance to deplane and connect through EWR. Perhaps later flights were full. I highly doubt that "everyone" would rather get off of the plane at EWR. This is the least amount of delay possible for passengers terminating at ORD.
That makes sense.

But, as I understand the nuts & bolts of Pre-Clearance, the flight is still cleared to ORD. EWR means obtaining CBP permission as little sense as that makes.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by fumje
Not sure about the 'as scheduled' part.
More like "eventually." With a best-case ORD arrival of 710pm, some connecting passengers will probably have to overnight at ORD and continue Thursday morning, meaning they will reach their finals 18-24 hours late.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Bleeped if you do and bleeped if you don’t and totally bleeped if you try.

Just another day for UA
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Staffing for the 757/767 fleet is stretched thin, especially at EWR. The company is digging well into the reserve pool just to cover scheduled flying with limited contingencies. There's not a great deal of redundancy.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:35 am

How did the crew be timed out in the first place. Arent they already in DUB?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:36 am

Flight going into DUB late because of the bad weather either in ORD or EWR. Been rough the last few days
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
If the plane lets pax off at EWR, unless they all have no bags, all luggage needs to be unloaded for the ones terminating at EWR to claim their luggage. The rest then needs to be reloaded. While putting all pax through this extra 2-3 hour goat rodeo may seem worth it to the several pax who would prefer to deplane at EWR, it is likely to present a lot of pain to the rest -- a large number of who may not be connecting (either at EWR or ORD) and are simply terminating at ORD or who are ending their travels at a location that is served only from ORD and not from EWR..
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ADeutsch
How did the crew be timed out in the first place. Arent they already in DUB?
Vast majority of these situations are due to one of the three pilots getting sick in Europe. Rather than cancel, the ill crewmember stays behind and the other two pilots fly back..

Stage length is too long to legally complete the leg thus landing short and a crew swap to continue to intended destination.
ajGoes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.