Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rules for Economy Basic Operated Partner Airlines

Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:28 am
Original Poster

I'm looking to book a vacation trip to Europe and I see the Basic Economy (K fare) is 150$ cheaper than Economy Fexible (K fare) and nothing inbetween. PQM and PQS are also half the amount on the basic but they are still K fares. Now this is a co-share flight operated By Air Canada Rouge, so I'm wondering does Air Canada know if this is an Economy Basic or Economy Flexible ticket? Or will they only see a K type fare and my Gold Status giving me free baggage and free seat selection at the 24hr Check-In?

Basic Economy(most restricted) Our most restricted fare:
Seat assigned prior to boarding
  • Seat assigned prior to boarding
  • No group or family seating
  • " "CA $120 first checked bag charge (roundtrip)
  • Upgrades and Economy Plus are not available
  • No refunds or changes

Economy(flexible) Our flexible Economy fare:
  • Refundable fare; cancellation and change fees may apply
  • Seat selection at booking, if available
  • Enjoy other options for customizing your travel
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
On a codeshare, the fare class for the operating airline is not what you see when you book. The only way to guarantee the underlying fare class is to book and call the operating carrier (United's CS will not be able to help you here). If it's not what you want, cancel within 24 hours.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tilhas
Or will they only see a K type fare and my Gold Status giving me free baggage and free seat selection at the 24hr Check-In?
The TATL Basic Economy fares are part of the UA joint venture with AC and Lufthansa Group. As such, their computer systems have been updated to understand fare families, and not just the booking class. I would expect that you would be recognized as a Basic Economy customer. If check-in is with AC in each direction, you should get one free bag as *G.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Interesting.
What if I book it from Air Canada's side as an Economy Type K. Would I get any extra benefits from being a *G ?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tilhas
Interesting.
What if I book it from Air Canada's side as an Economy Type K. Would I get any extra benefits from being a *G ?
The only thing that should matter is the fare family: Basic Economy / Tango, or Economy / Classic. The booking class (K) is irrelevant. If youre asking, does being *G allow you to select a seat on a Basic Economy fare, the answer is no.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan

The only thing that should matter is the fare family: Basic Economy / Tango, or Economy / Classic. The booking class (K) is irrelevant. If youre asking, does being *G allow you to select a seat on a Basic Economy fare, the answer is no.
If it's being booked on AC, the options are:
Basic (what you expect)
Standard (formerly Tango, reduced mileage earning, no free seat selection, etc.)
Flex ("regular" economy)
Comfort (unsure if it's offered on international, but some benefits like preferred seats, etc.)
Latitude (full Y/B)

Be mindful of which brand you buy, as they all have different perks.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Basic (what you expect)
Standard (formerly Tango, reduced mileage earning, no free seat selection, etc.)
Flex ("regular" economy)
Comfort (unsure if it's offered on international, but some benefits like preferred seats, etc.)
Latitude (full Y/B)

note that AC standard (and maybe basic - Ive never tried it) will give you free seats together if you are traveling on the same reservation with a child - believe its for a kid 12 and under.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Basic (what you expect)
Flex ("regular" economy)
Latitude (full Y/B)

Thanks; I thought Basic replaced Tango; I didnt realize it was an extra addition.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.