Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why does UA randomly confirm bookings via snail mail?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist

Every once in a while, when I make a booking, I get a letter from Houston, on United letterhead, confirming my booking.

Pic attached of one I got today.

Why do they do this? It doesn't always happen, but only seems to happen on revenue tickets, and only sometimes. Seems kind of like a waste of paper.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Years ago this happened for the Visa Companion tickets as it was all handled by mail then

An older thread on this (with no answers) Paper Reservation Confirmation
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:29 am

Those "eTicket Reminders" are outdated. They even refer you to continental.com, a domain name that nowadays is registered to Continental AG from Germany.

Anyway, it could be a fraud suspicion or a cursory check to see if your MP address on file is still valid?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:05 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Never gotten this in the mail, do you have an intl address with pqd waiver?

Last edited by silverforumsurf; Jun 24, 2019 at 11:55 pm
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: United, Bonvoy, NEXUS/GE, Amex Plat
I get these too! Maybe around once a year, or one every two years. Could never discern any sort of pattern as to why they appear. All my tickets are booked direct, and the mailer is sometimes for domestic trips, sometimes for international.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:00 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Have never had a snailmail confirmation in almost 30 years of flying with United.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Got one last year. Called why I recieved it. Explanation I got was if the reservation system gets a message that email confirmation was "undelivered" it will generate a paper confirmation. Which makes no sense because I had received an email confirmation.
silverforumsurf likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I have never received such a confirmation by post. But if I did, I would write back and request my preferences to be changed so that I receive future confirmation via telegram.
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by transportprof
I would write back and request my preferences to be changed so that I receive future confirmation via telegram.
I prefer Pony Express. I think it would be faster than Canada Post...
rmadisonwi and sexykitten7 like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXPLT
Could it be an Out Of Office notifier (or something similar) on your email address that the system thinks is a failure to deliver?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by bhunt
Got one last year. Called why I recieved it. Explanation I got was if the reservation system gets a message that email confirmation was "undelivered" it will generate a paper confirmation. Which makes no sense because I had received an email confirmation.
You know, you may be onto something there.

My email provider 'greylists' senders -- so when you first send an email to me, my email server tells your email server 'hey I'm not sure if this user exists; please check with me later'. Normal email programs will do that, but spammers won't -- and so it cuts down on a lot of spam.

However, UA may be seeing that greylist error message and assuming the email is bouncing, so they send the paper confirmation. Then they try again and it goes through, but by then they've already queued the paper one. It would explain why I don't always get them too -- the greylist lives for some period of time ( several months or a year? ), so subsequent emails from UA come right through.

Not really sure that's the reason, but it's as good a guess as any.
silverforumsurf likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:19 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
In my experience, I get a paper confirmation with a phone agent-processed transaction. Perhaps it's an option for the agent to check and send a paper confirmation in lieu/in addition to email?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by dordal
Not really sure that's the reason, but it's as good a guess as any.
Greylisting is widely implemented nowadays; however, so would be surprising if this was the case. We have it on our mail servers as well and very seldom, if ever, do we get a paper confirmation.

Greylisting also doesn't result in a hard error, it just sends a temporary failure back, and prescribed protocol for the sender would be to attempt again in a few minutes with the e-mail remaining in the queue. It would be an abysmal implementation if they were to generate a letter based on a temporary greylisting failure.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Could be embarrassing if you have a private email address and the trip isn't one you want others in your household to know about. Reminds me of an urban legend years ago (before ID checks) about US Airways having a "buy one ticket, bring your spouse for free" promotion, followed by a letter to the spouse thanking them for flying US Airways to xxx. You can figure the rest out....
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by transportprof
and request my preferences to be changed so that I receive future confirmation via telegram.
*singing telegram.
onthesam and jsloan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.