Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Issues at EWR with ATT Cellular Coverage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Originally Posted by fastair

well, for the NE region as well as the nation as a whole, the latest PCmag testing puts ATT #1 . If you’re happy, that’s great.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcm...s-2019%3famp=1
I didn't leave because of coverage issues although I had zero coverage when I was at home so I had to use WiFi calling at home even though there's a cell phone tower about two hundred yards from my house. The reason I left ATT was because of their customer service. Over the period of three or four days I spent around eight hours on the phone with their customer support in India trying to get them to fix their billing errors on my account, They couldn't fix their mistakes and I decided it was time to fire them. No regrets. Consumer Cellular has excellent customer support and coverage at half the cost.

Last edited by Uh Clem; Jun 22, 2019 at 6:17 pm
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Uh Clem
I gave ATT my feedback by canceling service after using them for 25 years and moving to Consumer Cellular. Half the cost and much better coverage.
Consumer Cellular provides wireless service using network capacity from AT&T and T-Mobile and also resells AT&T wholesale wireless services to other virtual operators.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I find my internet access is mucked up at landing until I turn off United WiFi.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yes, because internet access will be directed to a wifi connection instead of the cellular connection. But the UA wifi, while connected to the phone, may not have internet access on the ground (depending on the aircraft system).
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
All I know is I went from 0 bars with ATT to 3 bars with Consumer Cellular at my home the day I switched. When I got my sim card for Consumer Cellular they had two choices of simm cards. One was T-Mobile and I don't remember who the other was. I think I got the T-Mobile sim card.I just remember that one of the sim cards would only work in the US while if I was travelling overseas I would need to go with the other.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
“Forgetting” the UA Wi-Fi network upon landing usually kick-starts my AT&T cell data capabilities. My trouble is upon boarding, before the doors shut. Nothing seems to enable the cell data to work on my phone on most UA aircraft. First world problems, I guess.

I never noticed a problem at EWR—although this thread has now probably jinxed me.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:45 pm

Been having that trouble at SFO for at least a year, but not in terminal - just in the plane during boarding. I always assumed it was because too many people in a crammed space trying to use the network. Also on ATT.

I am going to switch to google next month anyways.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
PANYNJ

and PANYNJ would handle the placement of cellular access points in the terminals with the cellular providers
UA's (without going into the Chairman's flight incident) relations with PANYNJ has never been great.
Terminal C is leased to United in its entirety, and United exclusively has maintenance/repair responsibility. I’m not certain of the wireless service issue but it could well be something United can control or influence.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Originally Posted by Uh Clem
I read an article a few months back about WiFi calling and the article said that when you enable your phone for WiFi calling it can mess with your cell phone reception.The day after I read the article a friend told me that she used to have cell coverage at her mothers house but now there's no coverage there. The week prior I enabled her phone for WiFi calling so I told her to disable the WiFi calling on her phone. Once she did that her reception her mothers house was fine.
This explains a lot! My husband was so frustrated with the inability to call or access Internet while waiting in an UA plane until someone told him to turn off the wifi. Once I heled him forget UA onboard wifi, he is a happy guy. My son turns off his wifi regularly whenever he has problem with cell accessibility. I should tell my son to turn off wifi calling instead. It provides zero benefits with Google as the cell provider.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
It's Worse in the Polaris Lounge

After returning from Japan a few days ago, I was trying to make a few calls in the Polaris Lounge at EWR and it was almost impossible. My old flip phone is not internet compatible, so it has nothing to do with Wi-Fi enabling on the phone. It's just bad cell coverage.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by EWR764

Terminal C is leased to United in its entirety, and United exclusively has maintenance/repair responsibility. I’m not certain of the wireless service issue but it could well be something United can control or influence.
its not just a Terminal C issue. It’s also on the tarmac while taxiing. There is just something going on with ATT at EWR.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
As noted, the main cause of bad performance is congestion. As for any network, look to Yogi Berra's saying, "nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by seenitall
As noted, the main cause of bad performance is congestion. As for any network, look to Yogi Berra's saying, "nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."
I disagree. There is something specific to the signals inside the planes at EWR. Something I don’t experience in the terminal, something I don’t experience at ORD, abs something that occurs even right after boarding (and as GS I’m usually on first). Some gates are worse than others (for example had no issues at all at C123 today).
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
T-Mobile is not much better at EWR IME. That and the WiFi is resoundedly rejected by my corporate VPN ... not meeting security standards ... sigh. What else to expect at EWR, but it stinks.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
the 700mhz bandwidth segment ATT operates in which is effective at penetrating metal/buildings is also very near the recently acquired (2017) frequency reserved for Air-Ground Channels: 32 6.25 kHz-wide channels (16 pairs) reserved for air-ground communications to be used by low-altitude aircraft and ground based stations. https://www.fcc.gov/700-mhz-public-s...wband-spectrum

My guess is that because the spectrum is close to this frequency that they have to turn down their signal near the airport to comply with their spectrum license (so it doesn't interfere with the other band) for that frequency band which is capable of penetrating buildings/metal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.