Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Advice on flight time to maximize upgrade chance LAX-HNL or LAX-CUN

Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys,

I am a 1k and live in LA. I am looking to go on vacation for a few days during the end of July 29 or 30th. We were thinking either Cancun or Honolulu. I can either leave on Monday or Tuesday. What flight time would give me the best chance of getting an upgrade? I am also looking to come back on Friday or Sat (preferably on Sat) of that same week.

Lastly, I see a few cheaper flight options that go through SFO. How difficult is it to get upgrades to Hawaii from SFO?

Thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:09 pm

Both routes have similar 1Ks looking to do the same, during summer vacation time. I think your chances are slim, but flying either off days/times may help. Also, use the advanced class search for flights those days and see which fares are available still. That gives you a clue if award space is available, etc.. good luck!

https://www.united.com/web/en-us/content/mileageplus/awards/upgrade/default.aspx?POS=US#regions
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
CUN is a pure leisure route and a much easier upgrade. HNL can be very challenging. The easiest HNL upgrades these days tend to be the late day departures on the 739 or 753. It's almost impossible to upgrade into a lie-flat to the islands.

SFO is more difficult than LAX.
HeadInTheClouds likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
CUN is a pure leisure route and a much easier upgrade. HNL can be very challenging. The easiest HNL upgrades these days tend to be the late day departures on the 739 or 753. It's almost impossible to upgrade into a lie-flat to the islands.

SFO is more difficult than LAX.
That advice is spot on right there.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I would think Cancun would be much easier - I made the mistake, once, of going to Cancun in that timeframe, I found it brutally hot and humid with daily late afternoon thunderstorms (and much higher hurricane risk) - on the flip side, probably much cheaper than HNL.

I find November to May to be very pleasant in Cancun.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.