Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 48/49 EWR BOM suspended due to "current events in Iran" 20 June 2019 until 5 Sept?

Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Posted 16 July 2019

Post 17 July 2019

Posted 21 June 2019

Initial message
Status: Given current events in Iran, we have conducted a thorough safety and security review of our India service through Iranian airspace and decided to suspend our service between EWR and BOM. We are sorry to let you know your flight (UA 48) on June 20 has been canceled. Please contact us at United at 1-800-UNITED-1.
Cancellation is for June 20, 21, 22 & 23, 2019 for now

Related thread - India/Pakistan 2019 conflict impacts UA to India,DEL suspended 5 Apr 19 until 1 Sept?
the ferry return of the "stranded" aircraft / crew --Empty HNL-EWR 773 compliments of cancelled BOM flights
Print Wikipost

UA 48/49 EWR BOM suspended due to "current events in Iran" 20 June 2019 until 5 Sept?

Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Marriott (Plat Premier, LT Plat)

I am told that United has cancelled its direct flight to Mumbai (UA48 outbound UA49 return) apparently due to airspace restrictions in West Asia! Can anyone confirm the same? Is this due to the conflict in Iran? I assumed US airlines didn’t use Iranian airspace.

I have an upcoming work trip to India and while my ticket isn’t rebooked I am wondering if I should reach out to UA and get rebooked via Germany.

Appreciate any thoughts / guidance.

Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by ua_sp_102366
I am told that United has cancelled its direct flight to Mumbai (UA48 outbound UA49 return) apparently due to airspace restrictions in West Asia! Can anyone confirm the same? Is this due to the conflict in Iran? I assumed US airlines didn’t use Iranian airspace.

I have an upcoming work trip to India and while my ticket isn’t rebooked I am wondering if I should reach out to UA and get rebooked via Germany.

Appreciate any thoughts / guidance.

Thanks!
Yes you should call to rebook. This route is cancelled due to Iranian airspace safety issues.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:59 pm

Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Very similar wording in the flight status message for UA48 today (June 20):

Given current events in lran, we have conducted a thorough satety and security review of Our India service through lranian airspace and decided to suspend our service between EWR and BOM. We are sorry to let you know your flight (UA 48) on June 20 has been canceled. Please contact us at United at -800-UNITED-1.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:46 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I'm a little curious to know how Air India feels about continuing to serve the route/s.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Status: Given current events in Iran, we have conducted a thorough safety and security review of our India service through Iranian airspace and decided to suspend our service between EWR and BOM. We are sorry to let you know your flight (UA 48) on June 20 has been canceled. Please contact us at United at 1-800-UNITED-1.
Cancellation is for June 20, 21, 22 & 23, 2019 for now

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 20, 2019 at 9:02 pm
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by TA
I'm a little curious to know how Air India feels about continuing to serve the route/s.
India is not having a front-page conflict escalation with Iran right now, so I imagine the perceived risk to Indian-flagged carriers is not as high as for U.S. airlines (or airlines from other countries with escalated Iran tensions).
drewguy likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
I wouldn't want to be on any airline that skirts Iran's airspace by running up the gulf.

But airlines that fly over iran would be safe unless a real war gets going.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Does the 773 not have enough range to go around Iran and avoid Ukraine while at it?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by CApreppie
Does the 773 not have enough range to go around Iran and avoid Ukraine while at it?
Yes it has the range, but the FAA regulations on crew hours prevent UA from taking that route non stop to EWR.

When Pakistan airspace was open the plane would cross Pakistan and fly east of Iran, thus avoiding Iranian airspace.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Originally Posted by TA
Probably better than most of us would feel after taking AI for that length of time
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller

Yes it has the range, but the FAA regulations on crew hours prevent UA from taking that route non stop to EWR.

When Pakistan airspace was open the plane would cross Pakistan and fly east of Iran, thus avoiding Iranian airspace.
Did not realize that Pakistan had closed its airspace due to the situation with India. Just read about it. Crew hour rules can be strict. Thanks for the info.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:31 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by threeoh
India is not having a front-page conflict escalation with Iran right now, so I imagine the perceived risk to Indian-flagged carriers is not as high as for U.S. airlines (or airlines from other countries with escalated Iran tensions).
Malaysia wasn't in conflict with Russia nor the Ukraine, but we know how that story ended.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:34 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Malaysia wasn't in conflict with Russia nor the Ukraine, but we know how that story ended.
Alas, the uncertainty of life...
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 1:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I wouldn't want to be on any airline that skirts Iran's airspace by running up the gulf.
I assume you have to stop flying Qatar Airways.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.