Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 48/49 EWR BOM suspended due to "current events in Iran" 20 June 2019 until 5 Sept?

Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Posted 16 July 2019

Post 17 July 2019

Posted 21 June 2019

Initial message
Status: Given current events in Iran, we have conducted a thorough safety and security review of our India service through Iranian airspace and decided to suspend our service between EWR and BOM. We are sorry to let you know your flight (UA 48) on June 20 has been canceled. Please contact us at United at 1-800-UNITED-1.
Cancellation is for June 20, 21, 22 & 23, 2019 for now

Related thread - India/Pakistan 2019 conflict impacts UA to India,DEL suspended 5 Apr 19 until 1 Sept?
the ferry return of the "stranded" aircraft / crew --Empty HNL-EWR 773 compliments of cancelled BOM flights
Print Wikipost

UA 48/49 EWR BOM suspended due to "current events in Iran" 20 June 2019 until 5 Sept?

Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:51 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
Yes it has the range, but the FAA regulations on crew hours prevent UA from taking that route non stop to EWR.
I'm assuming that would still be an eastbound move (EWR-BOM) since it is within range of the plane. According to Wikipedia, the 777-300ER has a range of 7,370 nautical miles, which converts to 8,481 standard miles. In comparison, the SYD-IAH flight is 8,598 miles. Unless the 789 has a faster airspeed than the 777W, there shouldn't be a crew restriction within the entire range of the 77W.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by phkc070408
I'm assuming that would still be an eastbound move (EWR-BOM) since it is within range of the plane. According to Wikipedia, the 777-300ER has a range of 7,370 nautical miles, which converts to 8,481 standard miles. In comparison, the SYD-IAH flight is 8,598 miles. Unless the 789 has a faster airspeed than the 777W, there shouldn't be a crew restriction within the entire range of the 77W.
The "range" of a plane is never a cut-and-dried number. It is based on tons of factors (payload, local airport conditions, enroute weather, diversion options, destination airport conditions, customer-specific options). To say a 777-300ER can fly 7,370 nm (as opposed to 7,200 nm, 7,500 nm, or whatever) is fairly meaningless without context.

On the one hand, there's the question of the absolute maximum fuel the plane can have for takeoff. A 777-300ER with only fuel and pilots could probably go well past 8,000 nm (I don't know that with absolute certainty, but it would seem within the realm of possibility). But, of course, an airline wants to carry passengers, bags and cargo. Every passenger, bag, or pound of cargo you add increases the amount of fuel needed to go a certain distance (more mass to be moved), and, once you hit maximum takeoff weight, each additional bit of payload also means less fuel you can take.

Virtually every long-haul route has some fuel-payload tradeoff consideration, and the more payload you add, the more the maximum range drops off. To get range, conversely, means reducing payload. Reducing payload reduces revenue, and reducing revenue challenges the profitability of the flight.

This is all, of course, assuming that a 77W could, in fact, still operate EWR-BOM at all (either within crew legality, or simply whether it could take enough fuel to make it) given the amount of deviation from optimum routing that is required. Given that both Iran and Pakistan are off limits, you either have to bypass both of them. Going south/west of them takes you over Iraq. While not an active warzone, still probably has limited diversion options in the event of an emergency, and even ignoring that, you'd be pushing/exceeding the practical economical range of the plane.

Going north/east of both of them, meaning you'd approach India through the Himalayas, which by my understanding doesn't meet legal requirements for depressurization / emergency alternate landing scenarios, and would equally (if not moreso) stretch the limits of the plane's physical capabilities.

So, I'm going to assume that UA made the determination that, given safety, practicality, legality, and economics, there is simply no way to operate this flight nonstop.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
So why not operate it with a stopover in FRA/MUC/CPH as was done earlier?

Might be worth it, although a bit more complex...
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
An European pit stop is exactly what AC did when the Pakistani airspace closed at first for the Delhi flight. But eventually they had to suspend operation to DEL.

No more Delhi, no more Mumbai.

Geopolitical tensions have real costs.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
So why not operate it with a stopover in FRA/MUC/CPH as was done earlier?

Might be worth it, although a bit more complex...
With Pakistan, Iran, AND the Gulf closed, that's a long way around, and then you have potential visa issues, not a crew base, etc.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:26 am

New to UA (about to status match from AA EXP) - booked YYZ-EWR-BOM for late June. YYZ-EWR in Y (regional jet with no C so it booked into B) and P (business) from EWR-BOM.

I called yesterday and after spending 25 min on hold, got the India call center, rep would only rebook me in Y for the transpacific leg on CX and C for HKG-BOM - said that the first leg was in Y so that's all they could rebook me in. Talked to supervisor who said the same.

This is a business class ticket - the only reason I am flying any economy is because the regional jet to EWR doesn't have C.

Calling normal reservations number seems futile. Anyone have any suggestions of how to reach someone rational at UA? I would normally refund and rebook on a different carrier but fare has doubled as it is just a few days away.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carberry
New to UA (about to status match from AA EXP) - booked YYZ-EWR-BOM for late June. YYZ-EWR in Y (regional jet with no C so it booked into B) and P (business) from EWR-BOM.

I called yesterday and after spending 25 min on hold, got the India call center, rep would only rebook me in Y for the transpacific leg on CX and C for HKG-BOM - said that the first leg was in Y so that's all they could rebook me in. Talked to supervisor who said the same.

This is a business class ticket - the only reason I am flying any economy is because the regional jet to EWR doesn't have C.

Calling normal reservations number seems futile. Anyone have any suggestions of how to reach someone rational at UA? I would normally refund and rebook on a different carrier but fare has doubled as it is just a few days away.

Thanks for any advice.
Have you called multiple times, or just once?

When you get nonsense answers like that, you can just try again and hope get someone who understands it's fared in P from YYZ-BOM. They should be able to see that themselves, but they may not be of mind to do so, as you experienced. Perhaps if possible for you, if you wait until after status match you can get access to agents more likely to be competent.

Maybe DM to the UA Twitter team can also help you.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:08 am

On the third call I got them to at least get me in business transpacific ORD-HKG and in business HKG-BOM but they insisted because the first segment was in B, they can only put me in economy YYZ-ORD. Ridiculous but better than flying in back all the way. I just don't understand how they can't see this is a paid business ticket...it

Addition: Once I realized how they were thinking (that the first segment had to be economy), I just tried to work within their (albeit ridiculous) parameters

Last edited by Carberry; Jun 25, 2019 at 10:10 am Reason: to clarify
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K
Carberry, you got further along than I did on the CX reroute. The first two agents said they couldn't do a re-route at all and I just needed to wait.
When I got to the third agent, I read out the alternative choices (I was thinking within *A would be easy so I proposed BOM-SIN-EWR): she said no, because SQ would probably cancel my reservation (?). Option 2 was a QR flight which she couldn't see at all, and option 3 I presented was CX through HKG. She was able to add that to the reservation and after a long hold for ticketing, came back and said that a supervisor said no because the policy is to only reroute on LH, LX, and AC.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I guess I'm a little surprised they are cancelling the flights for this long. I would think they could find some type of routing that would be able to avoid Iranian airspace?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by mh3265a
I guess I'm a little surprised they are cancelling the flights for this long. I would think they could find some type of routing that would be able to avoid Iranian airspace?
The problem is both Iran and Pakistan are down/complicated, this makes re-routing very hard without a technical stop.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
how much longer would a west route be with a fuel stop in HNL, SFO, or ANC? Crew issues?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AS
BOM: Great Circle Mapper
(SFO-BOM and HNL-BOM are longer than EWR-BOM direct)

DEL: Great Circle Mapper
(SFO-DEL and HNL-DEL are longer than EWR-DEL direct)
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AS
A more southerly routing with a stop in say DXB might work: Great Circle Mapper
(still probably would have to take a more southerly route between DXB and DEL/BOM than the direct GC route to stay south of Iran/Pakistan)
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lazytom
A more southerly routing with a stop in say DXB might work: Great Circle Mapper ...

except for the NOTAM: KICZ A0015/19-SECURITY..UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ADVISORY FOR OVERWATER AIRSPACE ABOVE THE PERSIAN GULF AND GULF OF OMAN

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.