Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 48/49 EWR BOM suspended due to "current events in Iran" 20 June 2019 until 5 Sept?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Posted 16 July 2019

Post 17 July 2019

Posted 21 June 2019

Initial message
Status: Given current events in Iran, we have conducted a thorough safety and security review of our India service through Iranian airspace and decided to suspend our service between EWR and BOM. We are sorry to let you know your flight (UA 48) on June 20 has been canceled. Please contact us at United at 1-800-UNITED-1.
Cancellation is for June 20, 21, 22 & 23, 2019 for now

Related thread - India/Pakistan 2019 conflict impacts UA to India,DEL suspended 5 Apr 19 until 1 Sept?
the ferry return of the "stranded" aircraft / crew --Empty HNL-EWR 773 compliments of cancelled BOM flights
Print Wikipost

UA 48/49 EWR BOM suspended due to "current events in Iran" 20 June 2019 until 5 Sept?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:38 pm

Both BOM & DEL flights are suspended until Sept 1st.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I definitely need to rebook my 6/29 flight now. Never been in a situation like this this where there aren’t other UA flights available, so what’s best practice? Do you find exactly what you want and call and ask for it or are you fairly limited in terms of what agents can rebook? (Only within *A, same class of service, etc)?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AUSNYCflyer
...? Do you find exactly what you want and call and ask for it or are you fairly limited in terms of what agents can rebook? (Only within *A, same class of service, etc)?
Best to research first, and *A is UA's preference. And the same cabin is a given. However, a full refund is a UA option.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Best to research first, and *A is UA's preference. And the same cabin is a given. However, a full refund is a UA option.
Sorry, meant to say fare class, not class of service.
Also, is this a situation where I'd likely be able to get an ORC?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AceReport
Does anyone know if UA48 it's still on the ground in BOM?

I saw that it landed 19 hours ago and obviously they canceled the return.
its flying to HNL and making a new HNL-EWR segment on Sunday. I posted details in a new thread
AceReport likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Both BOM & DEL flights are suspended until Sept 1st.
Wow, that is a long time.

It appears United is the only carrier canceling flights, the rest are re-routing. Likely not an option for United due to distance.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RoxyMountain
Wow, that is a long time.

It appears United is the only carrier canceling flights, the rest are re-routing. Likely not an option for United due to distance.
Apparently they could re-route with a technical stop in HNL (or ANC). @:-)
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kale73

Apparently they could re-route with a technical stop in HNL (or ANC). @:-)
That might mean a 20 hour trip. Ouch.

I wonder what United obligations are in events like this. Does force majeure apply?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by RoxyMountain
I wonder what United obligations are in events like this. Does force majeure apply?
Well, they are offering to re-route on partner metal or full refund. Not sure what else you'd expect from them.
cmdinnyc likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
Well, they are offering to re-route on partner metal or full refund. Not sure what else you'd expect from them.
I don't think there is much more they can do. Their response seems reasonable
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
As far as *A is the preference for accommodating UA's passengers, AI is also in *A, will they ever consider that at all. AI also flies these routes, non stop on the east bound and most of the time west bound especially from BOM, even with Pakistan air space restrictions. However AI flies over Iran which probably is still viable for them.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond
adding historical perspective.....

Originally Posted by copperred
The US does have a precedent on shooting down civilian aircraft in Iranian airspace.
For those old enough to remember this as I do, this was an awful tragedy in 1988 taking 290 lives:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

Last edited by cos999; Jun 22, 2019 at 12:21 pm Reason: edit link and text
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
For a greater discussion of the Iran situation, see OMNI/PR and one of the Iran's thread or another

For the UA forum, let's focus on the impacts of this situation on UA and the UA traveler, and leave the geopolitical stuff for OMNI/PR

There are also other airline specific threads in the QF, QR, ..... forums

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:00 am

I am booked on flight UA 48 EWR to MUM on June 28th but appears that flight hasn't been officially cancelled yet. United is offering a refund but is unable to change / re-route to other partner airlines. It appears they will be able to rebook once the flight is cancelled but that would be cutting it close to travel date. Is anyone else having a similar experience? Any suggestions?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:39 am

Welcome to FT!, ak2450
Originally Posted by ak2450
... United is offering a refund but is unable to change / re-route to other partner airlines. It appears they will be able to rebook once the flight is cancelled but that would be cutting it close to travel date. Is anyone else having a similar experience? Any suggestions?
The reported UA position on the DEL flights, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...il-1-sept.html, is refunds only. Would suspect that will be the same story for BOM. There just may not be enough *A capacity to pick up all the UA cancellations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.