Wiki Posts
Search

Ticket Change to include non UA flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Ticket Change to include non UA flights

Looking to make a change to an existing (non-refundable) international (UA-LH) reservation by adding some non UA/LH flights.

Currently booked SAN-CPH-SAN (H out and P fare back). Looking to make it SAN-CPH CPH-ICN ICN-SAN with CPH-ICN on SAS & Asiana. Online it errors out so I'll need to call in.

Can I use the residuals on non UA/LH flights?

Am I best canceling the booking and then making a new one with the residual? When I do a change flight online it doesn't show all the (cheaper) flight options.

Looking for the best way to approach this change.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Has any of this itin been flown?
Assuming no,
Originally Posted by skylane
... Can I use the residuals on non UA/LH flights? ..
Yes, but there will need to be UA flights as part of the itin, some times codeshares will work

... Am I best canceling the booking and then making a new one with the residual? When I do a change flight online it doesn't show all the (cheaper) flight options. ....
Either approach can work but it is common for the online change to provide weird expensive pricing.

You will need to be doing this with an agent.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If done as a change, any residual should be issued as an ETC.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
In addition, note that whether you make a change (which is essentially a cancel the current flights and confirm the new flights you want), or even book this as new, that dependent on the fare rules and the pricing SAS/OZ is willing to sell on OAL metal, you may get very high pricing. Not sure about SAS, but many fares on OZ are unavailable on 016 stock, and may price you into full fare Y or close to it. Even if that is not that case, routing like that may cause higher prices due to circle routings and being across different continents. For example, I’ve tried pricing US-EU (stop) - India - US fares, and I’ve never been able to get it to price reasonably because of the stop in the EU (it will
price just normal with a FRA layover). So you may want to look at how the pricing works and what makes most sense - it may make sense to look at booking it all on one itin, breaking it into 3 one ways (which might not work because TATL one ways tend to be very expensive), to booking US-EU, ICN-US separately from the EU-ICN leg. The price could be high no matter which way you go. This trip may also be better to be booked through an agent who migh be able to have different airline combos price better, and to just cancel the existing itin and use the residual for a future trip.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
If done as a change, any residual should be issued as an ETC.
Which I believe can only be used on UA/UX flghts.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am I best canceling the booking and then making a new one with the residual? When I do a change flight online it doesn't show all the (cheaper) flight options.
Where are you seeing cheaper flight options? On United.com, or on a third-party website?

Originally Posted by TomMM
Which I believe can only be used on UA/UX flghts.
That’s not true. You’re thinking of ETCs that UA gives out as compensation (denied boarding, delays, etc). Those are limited to UA-operated flights. However, an ETC from a flight change is unrestricted.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
That’s not true. You’re thinking of ETCs that UA gives out as compensation (denied boarding, delays, etc). Those are limited to UA-operated flights. However, an ETC from a flight change is unrestricted.
I currently have an ETC from a flight change and the option to use it on itineraries that include partners is not available. I get the following msg on the payment page:

"Based on your current Travel Options selections, United payment types are not available."

When booking UA only operated flights the option appears.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Not aware any wording difference on ETC , regardless there is
UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights

However, flight credit can be used for non-UA operated flights (as long as bookable by UA)
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where are you seeing cheaper flight options? On United.com, or on a third-party website?

As far as I'm aware, ETCs - no matter where they come from, can not be used for partner flights.

An ETC is different than a canceled flight credit, the latter being what you get if you cancel a non-refundable flight - I think you are confusing this issue. To be specific, if you cancel a flight(s), you can rebook with the credit once you pay the change fee (if we're being technical, its actually a fee to re-issue the ticket). That credit can be used on any flights that UA can book, UA or partner, but also only for the original ticketed passenger, since the ticket is being kept and just re-issued on the existing PNR. If that new flight is less than the value of the credit available, then you get an ETC, which is just like any other ETC UA issues. Those can only be used on UA/UAX operated flights, not on partners, but also isn't required to be used by the original passenger - it is transferable - though the name of the pax receiving the ETC needs to be entered when redeeming with the PIN.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
As far as I'm aware, ETCs - no matter where they come from, can not be used for partner flights.

An ETC is different than a canceled flight credit, the latter being what you get if you cancel a non-refundable flight - I think you are confusing this issue. To be specific, if you cancel a flight(s), you can rebook with the credit once you pay the change fee (if we're being technical, its actually a fee to re-issue the ticket). That credit can be used on any flights that UA can book, UA or partner, but also only for the original ticketed passenger, since the ticket is being kept and just re-issued on the existing PNR. If that new flight is less than the value of the credit available, then you get an ETC, which is just like any other ETC UA issues. Those can only be used on UA/UAX operated flights, not on partners, but also isn't required to be used by the original passenger - it is transferable - though the name of the pax receiving the ETC needs to be entered when redeeming with the PIN.
This makes no sense, but it sounds like policy anyway, based upon what you are all saying. It’s ridiculous that UA will sell a ticket for travel on another airline, but if I have a credit balance after making a change, suddenly I can only use that for UA-operated flights.

As WineCountryUA points out, you can get around it by booking a zero-change-fee UA fare and then calling to change it, assuming you can get the agent to make the change for you (they will often refuse to issue tickets that don’t include at least one UA-marketed segment).

Sorry for the confusion.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This makes no sense, but it sounds like policy anyway, based upon what you are all saying. It’s ridiculous that UA will sell a ticket for travel on another airline, but if I have a credit balance after making a change, suddenly I can only use that for UA-operated flights.

You're experienced in here. And you expect airline policies to make sense?

Seriously, though, it does sort of make sense in that these are different things. An ETC is essentially a gift certificate, and is a form of payment, and the UA/UAX only restriction is a condition of it. The credit you get when you cancel a flight essentially leaves the value of everything in the ticket - not separate from it - which is why it can't be used by someone else because you can't change names on a ticket. UA basically takes the flights on your ticket out of the PNR at cancelation, replacing it with new flights (either at time of initial cancelation, or at some point later), charging the fee at the time the ticket is re-issued (ie, when you have your new flights).
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're experienced in here. And you expect airline policies to make sense?
LOL. Touché.

Seriously, though, it does sort of make sense in that these are different things. An ETC is essentially a gift certificate, and is a form of payment, and the UA/UAX only restriction is a condition of it. The credit you get when you cancel a flight essentially leaves the value of everything in the ticket - not separate from it - which is why it can't be used by someone else because you can't change names on a ticket. UA basically takes the flights on your ticket out of the PNR at cancelation, replacing it with new flights (either at time of initial cancelation, or at some point later), charging the fee at the time the ticket is re-issued (ie, when you have your new flights).
Right, but it doesn’t make sense to me to have the leftover funds be in a gift certificate that can only be used on UA if the initial purchase didn’t have anything to do with UA except for issuing the ticket.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
OP here...

I priced out the full flight on UA.com SAN-CPH-ICN-SAN with all the specific legs that I wanted (Premium Economy). I then called UA and had them price out changing the CPH-SAN to CPH-ICN-SAN. First response I got (after 1/2 hour) was that it a huge jump in price since "this doesn't qualify as a round the world since it only includes two stops". I wasn't trying to book a round the world but that was their excuse. I then let them know that I priced it out and then magically the rate desk was able to find that rate. Sounded like they undid my upgrade, priced/ticketed, and then reapplied the upgrade. It all ended up well. I got an ETC for the residual back via email and paid the change fee with new money.

Later in the day, I tried to buy a combo UA/AC trans-Atlantic and it wouldn't let me use the ETC. Looks like ETCs might only be for UA only flights?

Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I priced out the full flight on UA.com SAN-CPH-ICN-SAN with all the specific legs that I wanted (Premium Economy). I then called UA and had them price out changing the CPH-SAN to CPH-ICN-SAN. First response I got (after 1/2 hour) was that it a huge jump in price since "this doesn't qualify as a round the world since it only includes two stops". I wasn't trying to book a round the world but that was their excuse. I then let them know that I priced it out and then magically the rate desk was able to find that rate. Sounded like they undid my upgrade, priced/ticketed, and then reapplied the upgrade. It all ended up well. I got an ETC for the residual back via email and paid the change fee with new money.
What upgrade?

I don’t think there was any magic involved; I’m stunned that you were able to price that itinerary out for anything approaching a reasonable fare. Whatever pricing the computer came up with on your itinerary almost certainly must have been a mistake; I’m not really surprised that the rate desk didn’t find it initially.

Later in the day, I tried to buy a combo UA/AC trans-Atlantic and it wouldn't let me use the ETC. Looks like ETCs might only be for UA only flights?
Seems that way, although you can try purchasing an all-UA itinerary and then changing to the one you actually want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.