Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Looking for ideas to burn MP miles in 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat

Sitting on around 275K miles and looking to burn most of those in March of 2020 for my family of 4. Two kids ages 7 & 10 but very good flyers so a long haul may be ok.
At any rate, a little lost with the new dynamic awards for the dates I am looking for. From MN, want to go someplace warmer that time of year, need a little beach and sun but some diverse experiences are just fine as well, suitable for a family like ours. Want to know what may fit our bill. Have looked at PPT (nearly have enough miles for 4 tix in Y), perhaps SYD, could always do HI. Any other ideas?
Would even be willing to look at booking in J one way and revenue the way back (or Delta miles). Thx!
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Use the best feature of United MP program - the excursionist option. Book MN - SYD - PPT - MN via AKL (< 24 hrs layover each way). This way you can cover 3 countries on 1 award ticket. I would do it in coach as you will have more availability show up compared to business. Else do ICN/NRT and back, this way you can see the cherry blossoms and be somewhere warmer than MN in March. Else South Africa (CPT/JNB) and Botswana. It all depends on your appetite and comfort level.

If you want a challenge, then do the following - US - Chad (NDJ) - Ethiopia (ADD <24 hrs layover) - Djibouti (JIB) - US. You will have enough time to meet Lucy in ADD.

Now if all this feels too much, then there is always HNL
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Use the best feature of United MP program - the excursionist option. Book MN - SYD - PPT - MN via AKL (< 24 hrs layover each way). This way you can cover 3 countries on 1 award ticket. I would do it in coach as you will have more availability show up compared to business.
USA to AKL in coach? At my age, Never! Actually, we were accumulating miles for a post-retirement trip down under sitting in business, but UA's devaluation has ended that idea. We'll be taking that trip on HA.

MsHalls120 and I are blowing our stash of miles early next year on a vacation (place TBD) on LH F. This will require some interesting planning on our part, as we usually plan vacations well in advance. But we are going out (MP-speaking) in style!
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Use the best feature of United MP program - the excursionist option. Book MN - SYD - PPT - MN via AKL (< 24 hrs layover each way). This way you can cover 3 countries on 1 award ticket. I would do it in coach as you will have more availability show up compared to business. Else do ICN/NRT and back, this way you can see the cherry blossoms and be somewhere warmer than MN in March. Else South Africa (CPT/JNB) and Botswana. It all depends on your appetite and comfort level.

If you want a challenge, then do the following - US - Chad (NDJ) - Ethiopia (ADD <24 hrs layover) - Djibouti (JIB) - US. You will have enough time to meet Lucy in ADD.

Now if all this feels too much, then there is always HNL
Thanks man....never considered NRT will look into.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.