FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA / Vistara (UK) Codeshare Agreement (28 Feb 2020) -- Q&A, Experiences, ... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1974555-ua-vistara-uk-codeshare-agreement-28-feb-2020-q-experiences.html)

ual744777sta Jun 18, 2019 9:36 am

UA / Vistara (UK) Codeshare Agreement (28 Feb 2020) -- Q&A, Experiences, ...

Agreement enables United customers to travel seamlessly to more than 20 destinations throughout India while earning MileagePlus frequent flyer miles

CHICAGO, June 18, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced it has entered into a new alliance agreement with New Delhi-based airline, Vistara. The agreement, effective in Fall 2019, further expands United's global route network to more than 20 destinations throughout India. United currently operates more nonstop service to India than any other U.S. carrier.

In addition to convenient, one-stop connections to more than 20 destinations from Mumbai and New Delhi, the new United/Vistara alliance agreement enables United customers traveling from the United States with a seamless travel experience including:
  • Connecting flight opportunities from Mumbai and New Delhi further enhances United's network offering from its U.S. hubs in New York/Newark and San Francisco.
  • Reciprocal frequent flyer benefits – United MileagePlus members earn and redeem frequent flyer miles on all Vistara routes and Vistara's Club Vistara members earn and redeem frequent flyer miles on all Vistara and United routes.
  • United will place its UA* marketing code on more than 20 flights operated by Vistara (subject to government approval).
  • Coordinated United and Vistara customer service.
  • Single ticket booking and checked baggage to the customer's final destination.

Full Press Release

mh3265a Jun 18, 2019 1:48 pm

Interesting development. I wonder if this is because Tata and Singapore Air have control of the airline? Bet Air India isn't happy but it's not like UA is dropping those codeshares.

ryder1650 Jun 18, 2019 2:09 pm

Looks like they're just moving their old Jet Airways links to Vistara.

PVDtoDEL Jun 18, 2019 2:19 pm

UA and AI don't have a great relationship - UA gives AI really expensive prorates for domestic US flights, and AI gives UA really expensive prorates for domestic India flights. AI's biggest domestic feeder in the US is actually B6, while UA used to push a lot of domestic India traffic to 9W.

That said, from a ground handling perspective, AI handles UA for its India operations.

usbusinesstraveller Jun 18, 2019 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by ryder1650 (Post 31215954)

Likely this. UA had a limited code share with 9W until 2014 (when India was downgraded to FAA safety category 2) but didn’t renew them when category 1 was restored. But they continued the interline (preference over AI), and redeemable miles earning until 9W’s tie up with DL.

I wonder if UA (and possibly AC) has exclusivity regarding North American carriers, or will UK become everyone’s code share partner and also tie up with DL?

Regardless, I much preferred flying BLR(9W)-DEL(UA)-US over LH’s horrible skimlines on their 747s, and hopefully UK will fill 9W’s void nicely.

emcampbe Jun 18, 2019 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by ryder1650 (Post 31215954)

they’d had Vistara as an option for quite a while - I’d guess a year to a year and a half that I’ve seen, just on UK flight numbers. Definitely when Jet was still operating. Can’t remember exactly though on timing. I’ve definitely seen DEL-MAA/BLR (that’s tyoically where I fly) and I think some BOM frequencies too (haven’t looked beyond that as I typically fly to one of those two). Don’t know about bag check through, as I never ended up using UK, but it seems to expand the partnership to allow codeshares and mileage accrual. I’m guessing bag check through doesn’t work on US-India, as UAs flights likely wouldn’t connect same day to UK flights.

Definitely want to try Vistara though. AI is decent domestically, but all the other Domestic India options aren’t good, and Hopefully this could be a good option.

cmhua777 Jun 18, 2019 8:11 pm

I see this as good news. Vistara is the best domestic Indian carrier. Juneyao, another UA partner in the region (China) that’s trying to be a full-service A320 operator, could learn a thing or two from Vistara.

JHake10 Jun 18, 2019 8:30 pm

This is great news. I flew Vistara from DEL-AMD and was impressed. There crew was great and the meal was decent. They serve Starbucks onboard in F as well.

emcampbe Jun 18, 2019 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10 (Post 31216998)
They serve Starbucks onboard in F as well.

that definitely makes sense. In India, foreign brands operating locally (at least in most industries) require a certain amount of ownership by a local partner, and both Vistara and Starbucks local partner is Tata. Vistara is a joint venture by Singapore Air and Tata, allowing Singapore to get in the domestic India Market. Starbucks in India is actually Tata Starbucks.

JHake10 Jun 18, 2019 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 31217068)

that definitely makes sense. In India, foreign brands operating locally (at least in most industries) require a certain amount of ownership by a local partner, and both Vistara and Starbucks local partner is Tata. Vistara is a joint venture by Singapore Air and Tata, allowing Singapore to get in the domestic India Market. Starbucks in India is actually Tata Starbucks.

What's interesting is they only serve it in F. I've noticed ANA also has separate soft drink choices between J and Y. I guess its more common outside the US to have completely separate offerings between classes.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0ffee14fe4.jpg

dinoscool3 Jun 19, 2019 6:02 am

Have the mileage charts been posted yet?

WineCountryUA Jun 19, 2019 8:13 am

Originally Posted by dinoscool3 (Post 31217963)
Have the mileage charts been posted yet?

Would not expect them until the flights enter the system

The agreement, effective in Fall 2019

runningpoints Aug 29, 2019 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 31218359)
Would not expect them until the flights enter the system

Wondering what they're defining as "Fall 2019" and if that's definite. I booked a UA 016 stock ticket for Jan BOM-DEL (UK) - DEL -EWR (UA). Waiting to see the details of reciprocal benefits as I'm UA*G. Will I get lounge, extra baggage, etc at BOM?
Curious if anyone knows when we'll get to see this info.

pigzilla Oct 22, 2019 11:06 pm

Have any UA elites flown with Vistara under the codeshare yet? I have an upcoming 016 ticket EWR-DEL (UA), DEL-CCU (UK) in Dec and wondering if I will get any of my 1K/*G benefits like preboarding, their version of premier check-in, etc. Also I don't see any mileage charts on the UA website yet and it has been 4 months since this was announced.

bobcollie Dec 25, 2019 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by pigzilla (Post 31657346)
Have any UA elites flown with Vistara under the codeshare yet? I have an upcoming 016 ticket EWR-DEL (UA), DEL-CCU (UK) in Dec and wondering if I will get any of my 1K/*G benefits like preboarding, their version of premier check-in, etc. Also I don't see any mileage charts on the UA website yet and it has been 4 months since this was announced.

I flew BLR-DEL on UK814 10DEC19 to connect to UA105 DEL-SFO, no miles posted. I tried to use the automated re-posting tool on United and Vistara is not an option. Just submitted an online MileagePlus request - let's see what happens.