Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA / Vistara (UK) Codeshare Agreement (28 Feb 2020) -- Q&A, Experiences, ...

UA / Vistara (UK) Codeshare Agreement (28 Feb 2020) -- Q&A, Experiences, ...

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 8, 22, 10:50 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
UA MP earning on Vistara (UK)
Vistara offers flights to dozens of destinations across India. Its main base is Indira Gandhi International Airport (DEL).
Earn MileagePlus miles on all qualifying Vistara flights, as noted in the charts below.
Making Travel Easier - United Airlines and Vistara Launch Codeshare Agreement

Codeshare makes it easier for United customers to access more destinations in India beyond New Delhi and Mumbai

CHICAGO, Feb. 19, 2020
-- United Airlines and Vistara announced the start of a new codeshare agreement allowing United customers to book travel on 68 Vistara-operated flights to 26 destinations throughout India for travel beginning February 28. The codeshare builds on the agreement between the airlines in which MileagePlus and Vistara's loyalty program members earn and redeem miles when flying on either of the airline's route network.

The United and Vistara agreement offers customers a simplified experience when planning travel between dozens of destinations throughout India including Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Chandigarh, Goa, Hyderabad, Jodhpur, Srinagar, Thiruvananthapuram, Udaipur, Varanasi and more.

"We are excited to offer our shared customers the option of building a seamless itinerary when planning travel to cities beyond New Delhi and Mumbai," said John Gebo, United's senior vice president of Alliances. "United has connected customers to India for more than 15 years with daily flights between New York/Newark and Delhi and Mumbai and our new service between San Francisco and New Delhi. Our relationship with Vistara opens up even more options for customers to travel between our East and West Coast hubs and multiple destinations throughout India."

Vistara's Chief Commercial Officer, Vinod Kannan said, "Vistara today connects the length and breadth of India, and we are delighted to offer the country's only five-star flying experience to customers of United on their Indian domestic flights. The U.S. continues to be one of the biggest source markets for foreign travelers into India and the region, and this partnership allows us to provide a seamless travel offering for customers to and from the U.S."
As India's highest-rated airline on Skytrax and TripAdvisor, winner of several 'Best Airline' awards, and the only 5-star rated airline in India (Apex 2020), Vistara has consistently raised the bar for operations and service delivery in the Indian aviation industry in a short span of five years. The airline is poised to grow its fleet by adding more than 50 narrow-body and wide-body aircraft, including Airbus A321neo and Boeing B787-9, in the next three years.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 8, 22, 2:29 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
UA/Vistara Baggage limits

Flying UA/Vistara. Route is SFO-EWR-DEL-BLR and return via BLR-DEL-ORD-SFO. The DEL-BLR and BLR-DEL sections are on Vistara.
Have UA Platinum and for my onward journey, reservation shows i can carry 9 free bags. Return shows only 3 free bags. Since the first flight on the return journey is on Vistara, do i have a baggage limitation? I presume i can carry 9 bags both to and fro given the plat status or am i wrong to assume this? When i asked UA customer care, they weren't sure and did not give me a satisfactory answer.
Old Jul 8, 22, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ameyam View Post
Flying UA/Vistara. Route is SFO-EWR-DEL-BLR and return via BLR-DEL-ORD-SFO. The DEL-BLR and BLR-DEL sections are on Vistara.
Have UA Platinum and for my onward journey, reservation shows i can carry 9 free bags. Return shows only 3 free bags. Since the first flight on the return journey is on Vistara, do i have a baggage limitation? I presume i can carry 9 bags both to and fro given the plat status or am i wrong to assume this? When i asked UA customer care, they weren't sure and did not give me a satisfactory answer.
without specifics, hard to know exactly. However can be confident that UA bag waivers based on status are given only when checking in with UA. That means your bag allowance is greater on outbound than return.

for outbound, with waivers and plat status, should be 3 x 70 lbs each bag, per person (kind of assuming based on 9 bags there are 3 travelers, but UA.com is finicky and sometimes on the prepaid bags incorrectly based on segments vs. direction, so might depend on exactly where agent was seeing Info.). Return would be capped (for free) at general UA bag allowance, which I think should be 1 x 50 pounds per person.
ameyam likes this.
Old Jul 8, 22, 10:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... for my onward journey, reservation shows i can carry 9 free bags....
How many travellers on the PNR? 3?
also that display has issues
Online Itinerary Now Shows Checked Bags Under Seat Number (buggy?)

... Return shows only 3 free bags. Since the first flight on the return journey is on Vistara, do i have a baggage limitation? ....
Vistara will provide the standard ticket allowance but no elite allowance. This is standard when flying non-UA / non-*A carriers, no elite benefits
The DOT rules on bag allowance only refers to ticket allowance, not elite waivers
jsloan and ameyam like this.
Old Jul 8, 22, 2:49 pm

This is why (and other reasons) for making sure the India legs are also on the same PNR.
Old Jul 8, 22, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
This is why (and other reasons) for making sure the India legs are also on the same PNR.
Same PNR which this is doesnt make much of a difference here. Vistara isnt going to honor UAs Platinum status allowance, same PNR or not, nor would the DOT force them to do so.

The rather convoluted logic is that the charge still applies (as part of the underlying ticket); UA merely elects not to collect it. Vistara will not be so magnanimous, and will use the standard UA Economy allowances.
SPN Lifer and ameyam like this.
Old Jul 8, 22, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Same PNR means you get the SFO-BLR tariff allowance instead of BLR-DEL. I am assuming the former includes nonzero free bags, and the latter does not - but I didn't check.
jsloan and ameyam like this.
Old Jul 8, 22, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Same PNR means you get the SFO-BLR tariff allowance instead of BLR-DEL. I am assuming the former includes nonzero free bags, and the latter does not - but I didn't check.
Most Indian carriers, including Vistara, offer significantly discounted baggage rates for those traveling within 24 hours (some may be 48) of an international flight - even on a different ticket. You usually just have to show the ticket when dropping off baggage.

Also, not sure about all, but most Indian carriers offer free baggage allowance, even on cheaper tickets, but maybe not 50 pounds. We just flew on a domestic Indigo flight on the cheapest fare offered (on a route only flown by Indigo), and it included 15Kg bag allowance/person. Given Indigo is considered discount, and Vistara is considered full service (and higher end), I can't imagine that they have fares without baggage included if Indigo doesn't do it.
SPN Lifer and ameyam like this.
Old Jul 8, 22, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Same PNR — which this is — doesn’t make much of a difference here. Vistara isn’t going to honor UA’s Platinum status allowance, same PNR or not, nor would the DOT force them to do so.

The rather convoluted logic is that the charge still applies (as part of the underlying ticket); UA merely elects not to collect it. Vistara will not be so magnanimous, and will use the standard UA Economy allowances.
I've travelled this route (SFO-DEL-BLR) a few times and Vistara has always honored the 1K baggage allowance, no questions asked.
ameyam likes this.
Old Jul 8, 22, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
without specifics, hard to know exactly. However can be confident that UA bag waivers based on status are given only when checking in with UA. That means your bag allowance is greater on outbound than return.

for outbound, with waivers and plat status, should be 3 x 70 lbs each bag, per person (kind of assuming based on 9 bags there are 3 travelers, but UA.com is finicky and sometimes on the prepaid bags incorrectly based on segments vs. direction, so might depend on exactly where agent was seeing Info.). Return would be capped (for free) at general UA bag allowance, which I think should be 1 x 50 pounds per person.
Yes, sorry missed mentioning the fact that there are 3 passengers. All of them are on the same PNR.
Old Jul 9, 22, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've travelled this route (SFO-DEL-BLR) a few times and Vistara has always honored the 1K baggage allowance, no questions asked.
On the return?! 3 bags at 70 pounds each? (Inbound to the US, I mean).

On the outbound (to India), thats an entirely different story; If the bags are checked through to the final destination, carriers are not (supposed to be) allowed to charge to re-check them. Im not saying its never happened, but it is both the law and IATA policy.

But if youre saying that theyve cheerfully accepted three bags at no charge, connecting to a United flight in Y theres no reason that they have to do that, but its a good data point. (Im stunned for many reasons, including the fact that your 1K baggage allowance isnt coded into the fare / PNR in the first place).
SPN Lifer, PVDtoDEL and ameyam like this.
Old Jul 10, 22, 8:33 pm

On the return?! 3 bags at 70 pounds each? (Inbound to the US, I mean).

On the outbound (to India), thats an entirely different story; If the bags are checked through to the final destination, carriers are not (supposed to be) allowed to charge to re-check them. Im not saying its never happened, but it is both the law and IATA policy.

But if youre saying that theyve cheerfully accepted three bags at no charge, connecting to a United flight in Y theres no reason that they have to do that, but its a good data point. (Im stunned for many reasons, including the fact that your 1K baggage allowance isnt coded into the fare / PNR in the first place).
Yes, on the return to US (but in business class all the way)
Old Jul 10, 22, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, on the return to US (but in business class all the way)
Interesting.

If you were in business class on Vistara, perhaps they gave you the Vistara business class allowance? Or did they specifically say that they were doing it because you were 1K? I dont mean to question your word; Im just really surprised that the one airline that would honor a UA premier status allowance is one thats not even in *A.

I dont see a published business class allowance for Vistara to the US, but they do have one to Europe, and its 3x70lbs when on a Flexi ticket. So it wouldnt be shocking if they used that same allowance for all long-haul travelers.
SPN Lifer, PVDtoDEL and ameyam like this.
Old Jul 11, 22, 1:09 pm

Interesting.

If you were in business class on Vistara, perhaps they gave you the Vistara business class allowance? Or did they specifically say that they were doing it because you were 1K? I don’t mean to question your word; I’m just really surprised that the one airline that would honor a UA premier status allowance is one that’s not even in *A.

I don’t see a published business class allowance for Vistara to the US, but they do have one to Europe, and it’s 3x70lbs when on a Flexi ticket. So it wouldn’t be shocking if they used that same allowance for all long-haul travelers.
They didn't say anything I checked in 3 bags and got my BPs. I just had to exchange the DEL-SFO BP for a UA issued one in DEL.

The only time I had an issue with 3 bags was AI (ironically, a *A partner). The agent was new, so he wasn't sure if it was allowed and had to ask a coworker.

Search this Thread