Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Option for weekly commute Burbank-Palo Alto (Calif)

Best Option for weekly commute Burbank-Palo Alto (Calif)

Old Jun 17, 19, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by findark View Post
(1) This only applies if you are flying within their network, which is still quite limited even after the VX acquisition.
Yeah, I was only referring to flying around the west coast, where the AS network is actually superior. Leave the west coast and you have to deal with a significantly diminished network.

Honestly, the ability to fly BUR-SJC would be enough for me, without the other stuff. You are skipping a lot of traffic, and getting through the airports faster too. And those ERJ175's are quite comfortable -- Much wider coach seats than a 737, and even wider than an A320.
Xyzzy and chrisl137 like this.
Old Jun 17, 19, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Aren't there some semi-private options that fly to SQL? OAK at high commute is probably almost two hours; CCR is a good joke
Until, and perhaps even if, they fly to PAO, getting to Palo Alto will be a disaster in traffic. When trying to drive to SFO from Palo Alto it could take me 30 minutes just to reach a freeway.
Don't even get me started on the traffic issue in the South Bay.... It is my life.... if that is what you want to call it. As far as SQL I don't know if Voom is looking into that my suspicion is no, not in the immediate future. For now I know the service will only link the Bay area commercial airports and probably SAC. Later to expand into pick up at various other locations such as Gnoss Field, Sausalito (which previously had service), and probably something out east/Walnut Creek. Initial take off and landings will be executive terminals such as Signature Aviation at SFO with shuttle service to the main terminals. They are trying to keep pricing competitive but I guess we will soon see.
Old Jun 17, 19, 11:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Pulled out the discussion of weekly commuting to Palo Aalto area from LA / Burbank area as Best Option for weekly commute Burbank-Palo Alto (Calif) as it covered many topics outside the scope of this thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Jun 18, 19, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA SIL, WN A+/CP, Marriott Tit (LT), Hyatt EXP, Hilton Gold
if you want to get there consistently on time, avoid SFO on a regional jet.

My vote is for WN.

Also, BUR is a great, easy airport to get to/from and in/out.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 19, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SJC is a no brainer!
Old Jun 18, 19, 5:43 am

Agree about BUR and SJC (great airports) but WN is trash. The lack of SDCs makes it extremely inflexible -- you end up paying the walk-up fare too often. No change fees and no bag fees is nice but you get that on AS as well (with status). What you really want to avoid is the fare differences on those last minute changes. I guess if this is all OPM that may not be a priority.

Also, if OP was trying to optimize on upgrades, I'm guessing that WN is the exact opposite of what he is looking for.
Old Jun 18, 19, 7:05 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Personally, I find getting to SFO from Palo Alto much easier in the afternoons (during rush hour) than going to SJC. The southbound traffic in San Jose on the 101 can be unbearable.

Sometimes Iíll fly TO SJC, but Iíll usually fly OUT of SFO. The lounge / restaurant selection is also much better out of SFO.
sinoflyer likes this.
Old Jun 18, 19, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by UAflyer93 View Post
Personally, I find getting to SFO from Palo Alto much easier in the afternoons (during rush hour) than going to SJC. The southbound traffic in San Jose on the 101 can be unbearable.

Sometimes Iíll fly TO SJC, but Iíll usually fly OUT of SFO. The lounge / restaurant selection is also much better out of SFO.
I would always take the train to either, if possible. On an express, it's 2x or 3x as fast as by car.
Old Jun 18, 19, 8:00 am

Why the preference for J on a 1hr flight?
Old Jun 18, 19, 9:32 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Get your PPL and IR.
Old Jun 19, 19, 2:04 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
WN gives you free same day standby after you reach A-list (25 one-way trips in the year). Ask them for a status match or fast track challenge before you start. I would be reluctant to burn my once in a lifetime AS status match on anything less than 75K (top tier, includes 4 giftable and quite usable upgrades).

Consider earning top status on WN in 2019 then matching to AS or UA for 2020.
Old Jun 19, 19, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by nsx View Post
WN gives you free same day standby after you reach A-list (25 one-way trips in the year). Ask them for a status match or fast track challenge before you start. I would be reluctant to burn my once in a lifetime AS status match on anything less than 75K (top tier, includes 4 giftable and quite usable upgrades).

Consider earning top status on WN in 2019 then matching to AS or UA for 2020.
Same day standby on WN is only for earlier flights. It's quite inflexible. Free confirmed changes to earlier or later flights is much more valuable.

RE: AS, I disagree. The difference between Gold and 75k on AS is minimal. The real value is mostly at the Gold level. Gold gets you all change fees waived (which is huge), a 100% mileage bonus (which is also huge), and 4 upgrades which have limited value (due to minimum K fare required required for use, the fact that they can't be waitlisted, and the fact that when U space is actually available at booking, it's a sign that they expect to have plenty of first class availability and you are likely to get a comp upgrade anyway as Gold).

At 75k that bonus goes up to 125% (which is nice but not that much more than gold) and a 4 more upgrades (which still have limited value). Earning 75k is huge (because you get a 50k RDM bonus) but you don't get that for status matching. The marginal value of actually having 75k (instead of gold) is far less than the value of that 50k bonus.

There is a lot more discussion about this on the AS forum (where it belongs) but to go back to the OP's dilemma, I would not suggest choosing WN over AS simply to avoid "wasting" the status match. Pick up the AS credit card as well, put all the AS flights on it, and In that one year as AS MVPG taking 2x short-hop segments per week, he'll earn 100k miles from flying, 40k from credit card bonus, and maybe another 30k from the spend on the flights --- that's 170k miles. Considering the great AS partner award charts, and the stopovers allowed, that's enough (for example) for a business class 3-city trip through Asia (2 one-ways with a stopover in each direction, on different partners -- eg CX and JL) and enough left over to be half way towards the next round trip.

On WN he will earn enough to suffer the indignity of a few more WN flights.
Old Jun 19, 19, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My personal data on this front is 20 years old, so please keep that in mind.

I want to college in Shallow Alto, and worked for the following 2 years in Mountain View.

I had to go to Los Angeles 1x per month.

I used AA to fly SJC-LAX because our LA office was really close to LAX.

But, if Burbank was more convenient, I would have flown WN in a heartbeat.
Old Jun 19, 19, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
If money is no issue fly WN Burbank into (or out of) SJC and take Voom (in about a month) to PAO. No pricing on Voom yet but expect to pay just south of $300 each way.
Old Jun 19, 19, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
If money is no issue fly WN Burbank into (or out of) SJC and take Voom (in about a month) to PAO. No pricing on Voom yet but expect to pay just south of $300 each way.
I find it hard to believe that a company who is not ok paying to fly you in first class from LAX (usually less -- sometimes much less -- than a $100 upcharge over E) is going to be ok shelling out $300 each way for transportation to the airport.

Also there is a 0% chance that I'm getting into a helicopter, but that's just me.

Search this Thread