Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club membership now $650 effective 8/13/19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Club membership now $650 effective 8/13/19

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:53 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Can’t say I’m surprise UA’s raising prices and I can’t say I’m ever likely to buy a UC membership. I suspect there’s quite a few travelers who’ll pay whatever for a UC membership “just because” regardless of how crowded / diluted the product becomes. And UA would be even more foolish then them NOT to sell them a membership.

Maybe I’m just cynical in my old age but how do people have so much time to spend at the lounge, short of a connection or padding for an international flight? Today I was flying out on DL domestic ex IAH and I got to the gate ~5m prior to boarding. Planning on doing the same for my flight tomorrow too. Actively planning to minimize my time at the airport.

at ATL I hoped into the SkyClub for the 1,500 SM glasses of Dom but beyond that, I personally would rather sit in the terminal or a restaurant bar. Key here is there’s no real value add I see for a lounge membership vs the value add of a quiet (or hip - which lounges rarely are) place to kick back when there’s no other alternative.

FWIW I find myself both pleased and ambivalently disgusted with the UA lounge situation: pleased with the PLs and already have access by virtue of being in the front cabin and no interest with the UCs as I just don’t see any value there...short of helping to clear people who’d otherwise be in the terminal / AX Centurion / PPass location out.

As for agent support, I can’t recall the last time I had an issue I could not take care of over the phone from a 3rd party lounge. Not saying such issues don’t exist, nor is the phone as easy as talking face-to-face with an agent, just that for the majority of issues a phone call is just as effective as an agent.

I’ve already wound down all my co-branded Chase/UA cards in favor of Sapphire / Ink (or AX) and this GS finds himself booking DL / QR / SQ more and more - generally via bank-paid revenue tickets which end up being cheaper than actual rewards! - and only going out of my way to engage in MileagePlan.

Anyways my take away is UA will still sell boatloads of memberships to the fools who’ll gladly buy them and the UCs will remain crowded.

Last edited by J.Edward; Jun 19, 2019 at 5:03 pm
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Originally Posted by onthesam
At Centurion airports I eat at AMEX then slide into UC to await flight.
That's a good plan world wide. My trek in HKG is SQ (best seats + not crowded) --> AMEX (best food + champagne makes up for crowds and bad seating) --> UA (gotta know if my flight to the US has gone fubar)
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Maybe I’m just cynical in my old age but how do people have so much time to spend at the lounge, short of a connection or padding for an international flight?

At my home airport, on a high-frequency domestic route, with no irrops? Of course not! I know exactly how long it will take to get to the airport, pass through security, etc. I arrive at my gate 5-10 minutes before boarding begins. I do not think this is where lounges are useful.

But if I have a 4-hour connection, a flight cancellation, am arriving early for a once-a-day int'l flight, or even as simple as hotel check-out is 12pm and flight is at 4pm....then that quiet space to read or work with a free drink, free snacks (esp vegetables), and free wifi (still not available at all airports) is golden.

Can’t say I’m surprise UA’s raising prices and I can’t say I’m ever likely to buy a UC membership. I suspect there’s quite a few travelers who’ll pay whatever for a UC membership “just because” regardless of how crowded / diluted the product becomes. And UA would be even more foolish then them NOT to sell them a membership.

Anyways my take away is UA will still sell boatloads of memberships to the fools who’ll gladly buy them and the UCs will remain crowded.
I still think you're misinterpreting what UA is doing here. I don't think they think they have an awesome product and what to extract more cash out of it. I think they want the UCs to be less crowded and are pulling on the only lever they have access to.

But if they raise the price $100 and get the same number of membership renewals as you predict....then I guess that was a good business decision, right?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:03 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by threeoh
But if I have a 4-hour connection, a flight cancellation, am arriving early for a once-a-day int'l flight, or even as simple as hotel check-out is 12pm and flight is at 4pm....then that quiet space to read or work with a free drink, free snacks (esp vegetables), and free wifi (still not available at all airports) is golden.
Fair point but what I've come to realize for me is I'd rather camp out at a restaurant, have waiter/bar service, full menu, etc. than what the UC (or AC, SC, or even the Centurion) offer...i.e. Classified > UC at EWR, OTG > UC at IAH, Yankee Pier > UC at SFO, Timberline > UC at DEN, etc.

Given the choice between UA dinging me $450+ for access to their lounge when I would not already have access to the UC (or PL), I'd rather just take that cash and spend it on a $30 lunch. Said another way, over the course of a year if I spend less than $35 per month on airport dining in lieu of a lounge, I'm coming out ahead with a better (for me) product. And that's not even factoring in non-AX PPass restaurants, Centurion Lounges, and PL access when traveling internationally on *A.

I still think you're misinterpreting what UA is doing here. I don't think they think they have an awesome product and what to extract more cash out of it. I think they want the UCs to be less crowded and are pulling on the only lever they have access to.
I agree with that - also note the tightening of guests and restricting access to UA/partners too.

But if they raise the price $100 and get the same number of membership renewals as you predict....then I guess that was a good business decision, right?
Can't see how it isn't. And even if they keep the revenue the same but have a drop off in membership the existing base still wins due to (what I assume will be) a decrease in crowding.

Last edited by J.Edward; Jun 20, 2019 at 7:55 am
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:13 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
If crowding is such an issue..

Why not make lounge access *Plat through *A? *Gold seems like the lowest revenue, easiest to get access among the options - I assume they get less than one-day pass revenue.

And also eliminate the Explorer lounge passes? I’m sure they could renegotiate wifi passes or something instead with chase
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
If crowding is such an issue..

Why not make lounge access *Plat through *A? *Gold seems like the lowest revenue, easiest to get access among the options - I assume they get less than one-day pass revenue.

And also eliminate the Explorer lounge passes? I’m sure they could renegotiate wifi passes or something instead with chase
Why would they when United has stated that their relationship with Chase is profitable and they want to increase to something like 7 Billion to catch up to Delta from the current 3 Billionish. Its been pointed out couple months ago, airlines like AA is only making money because of the money paid by Citibank for the last couple of quarters. Not familiar with * Alliance rules but pretty sure * Gold lounge access is a * Alliance thing not a United thing.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by findark
Freedom Unlimited is strictly better than the Club Card from an earn perspective.
Isn’t it the same 1.5%? But no AF is a winner.

More incentive to finish 1MM and have Gold for life...
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:22 am

Blame Delta

It seems to me that Delta sets the trend for all things negative when it comes to costs and restrictions.
They start something, other airlines follow suit.
- Started BE.
- Lounge membership rates continually increased.
- Lounge membership only got you access if you flew DL / Sky that day.

Furthermore (UA yet to follow suit, but may happen sooner or later):
- DL lounge members no longer get access to Sky partner lounges
- None of DL credit cards offer lounge membership with free access for guest(s).
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by evergrn
It seems to me that Delta sets the trend for all things negative when it comes to costs and restrictions.
They start something, other airlines follow suit.
- Started BE.
- Lounge membership rates continually increased.
- Lounge membership only got you access if you flew DL / Sky that day.

Furthermore (UA yet to follow suit, but may happen sooner or later):
- DL lounge members no longer get access to Sky partner lounges
- None of DL credit cards offer lounge membership with free access for guest(s).
Yet Delta Lounges are still extremely crowded, especially at hubs. I would guess a majority of people in a SkyClub gain access through some kind of Amex card. With credit card driven access, lounges will be continually crowded until the next recession no matter what happens with the paid lounge access.

As far as the guest access and Sky partner lounges, this is where a Priority Pass membership comes in handy. Seemingly a dozen cards offer them.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf

*G is the highest tier in *A, so that's not really meaningful. UA could certainly raise the requirements to be UA*G (which are low compared to most other airlines in *A - for example, it's a 100k tier in the LH Group), but that would probably cause a lot of howling here

I doubt Chase wants to part with the Explorer passes, and they are a huge chunk of revenue for United. But given the typical reaction of UA lounge agents wondering how I will support my lounge entry, I expect that paid memberships are still the majority of people in most UCs.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Isn’t it the same 1.5%? But no AF is a winner.

More incentive to finish 1MM and have Gold for life...
1.5x UR, which could be 1.5x UA (same as Club card), or 1.5x SQ, or $0.0225 on revenue tickets, or whatever combination of them you want, decided right before you spend. (I'm of course assuming you also have the Sapphire Reserve.)

Originally Posted by evergrn
Perhaps no credit to DL, but at least they offer other benefits. Unlike some in this thread, I couldn't imagine paying $450 for domestic lounge memberships, guests or no guests. I fly nonstop too often. But I'll happily pay $450 for the BOGO Amex cert and take a free lounge membership on the side
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Yet Delta Lounges are still extremely crowded, especially at hubs. I would guess a majority of people in a SkyClub gain access through some kind of Amex card.
DL offers SC membership as a Diamond "Choice Benefit." That's why their clubs are so crowded at hubs. Imagine if UA gave 1Ks free membership. For this reason, it's inapt to compare SC pricing to UC pricing, as a large number of SC members don't pay for their memberships.
silverforumsurf and Adelphos like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Yeah it’s pretty different with diamonds getting free membership..

Last edited by silverforumsurf; Jun 20, 2019 at 8:35 am
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Kacee
DL offers SC membership as a Diamond "Choice Benefit." That's why their clubs are so crowded at hubs. Imagine if UA gave 1Ks free membership. For this reason, it's inapt to compare SC pricing to UC pricing, as a large number of SC members don't pay for their memberships.
Yeah, as a low level elite I often forget about the Diamond choice benefit
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
<movie announcer voice>

In a world...where 1Ks are given not just a hamburger on-board....

but access to the UC....

One man...is about to find out...

What’s it like to eat bar mix for 3 meals per day...for a year.

...we’re about to see...

CLUBMAGEDDON!

Starring Rob Schneider.

</movie announcer voice>
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:38 pm
Suspended

I’m confused. The attachment shows as 1K the cost as$450 which is the price I’ve already been paying. Am I missing something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.