Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club membership now $650 effective 8/13/19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Club membership now $650 effective 8/13/19

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
This was the hot food the entire month of May (ORD).

Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by seat38a
PP restaurants are going away August 1 for AMEX people.
This one really stings. Hadn’t known this. I use the restaurant benefit extensively at SFO. Ouch.

Regarding Centurion Lounges. I do expect many won’t renew UA clubs and the Centurion Lounge at SFO to get even more crowded. It is a victim of its own success and Amex needs a fix.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seat38a
Looks like Admirals Club is $650 as well. https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...membership.jsp
Looks like Delta upped their equivalent membership to $845.00 (Pretty sure it was in the $7 hundred range). https://www.delta.com/skyclub/purcha...Request.action
The Delta rate is not new. The Delta fee increases were on Jan 1, 2019 (they were announced on Nov 15, 2018). Both individual and executive rates were raised and they did away with the $59 one-time access passes.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by onthesam
This was the hot food the entire month of May (ORD).

Yeah, so? I little bit of that stir fry and some salad and a drink. All I need. I don't go there for a three course meal. I go there for a non-crowded crapper and to avoid riff-raff at the gate. A person is delusional if you're expecting a PL level of selection and menu at a UC. Never has, never will.
TravelforLearning likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:31 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
An enhancement you'll like! We're happy to announce that we've reduced some of the crowding in our Basic United Clubs.

Any chance this price hike will result in some better food/amenities at the UCs?
TravelforLearning likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by gmt4
Yeah, so? I little bit of that stir fry and some salad and a drink. All I need.
Yeah, but the stir fry, salad, and drink all seem to be in the same bowl....
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by spin88
What a joke. I have an Amex PLT card, SO has one too, the AMEX lounges are far, far, far better than UA's lounges, are in most of the airports I frequently, and as long as I fly AS or DL, I can use my AMEX card to access the lounges on them (or internationally) as well. Costs me $550 x2, and I get a great credit card to boot. @:-)

The package UA is offering is just inferior, to go with an inferior lounge. These kinds of things just make UA non-competitive. Faced with flying AS the other day (lounge access) vs. UA (no lounge access) guess who I flew....
Many Centurion Lounges are packed, sometimes worse than UCs. The lounge at SFO is a particularly stellar example of overcrowding. AMEX has recently reduced access—no more entry on arrival unless connecting. And access only three hours before departure. It has helped—a little.

The United membership increase is long overdue. AMEX needs to hike the price for the platinum card too.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by milepig

Um. The chow at Ord is the best it’s ever been. Ditto many other clubs.
It may have improved over what it used to be, but it still lags the competition. Glad I dropped the Chase Club card.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Well with all the threats to cancel membership, I'm guessing the United Club Meetup thread will be more popular than ever.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
This is another poorly thought-out piece of messaging by UA. They just lazily/incompetently put out a simple statement (paraphrasing) that “UC membership will be $650 and there will be no initiation fee as of such n such date”.

UA doesn’t bother to address how Premier discounts will (or will not) be affected. My guess is the Premier discounted memberships will still exist, but a little more expensive. If UA intends to do away with the discounts, they should address that in the announcement also.

Typical UA to make an announcement that doesn’t answer all the facets involved.

Sub-$500 Club Card is OK w/ me. $600? - no thanks - I’ll post up at the most convenient bar.

If UA raises Club prices 15-20% and they get a commensurate drop in members, I guess it’s good for them. Revenue increase would come from drop in food/bev even though membership revenue neutral.
cawhite and SFHokie like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 17, 2019 at 10:52 pm
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
This is another poorly thought-out piece of messaging by UA. They just lazily/incompetently put out a simple statement (paraphrasing) that “UC membership will be $650 and there will be no initiation fee as of such n such date”.

UA doesn’t bother to address how Premier discounts will be affected. My guess is the Premier discounted memberships will still exist, but a little more expensive. If UA intends to do away with the discounts, they should address that in the announcement also.

Sub-$500 Club Card is OK w/ me. $600? - no thanks - I’ll post up at the most convenient bar.

If UA raises Club prices 15-20% and they get a commensurate drop in members, I guess it’s good for them. Revenue increase would come from drop in food/bev even though membership revenue neutral.
Maybe UA is like my company's HR department and hasn't hashed out the details and are just announcing what some consulting firm told them to do.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:04 pm

I wish they would turn the Chase Club passes into "Special Discounted Rate Entry Coupons" allowing entry for, say, $25. I'm guessing many people would let their coupons expire rather than pay to enter, and it would certainly cut down if not nearly eliminate the on-line re-sale value.

As for the price increase, if my PP Card rate does go up, I may finally decide to do without as long as my *G status continues to get me in to the lounges at HNL, LAX, and IAD.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

UA doesn’t bother to address how Premier discounts will (or will not) be affected. My guess is the Premier discounted memberships will still exist, but a little more expensive. If UA intends to do away with the discounts, they should address that in the announcement also.

If the United Club were a stand along business yes. But its not. It is designed to drive travel to United. if 15-20% of Club members drop, and then start to fly UA less (e.g. get a AMEX card and use it flying on DL or AS or an airline at an airport that has a centurian lounge) well then UA is out what is likely to be higher value travel spending too...

The entire reason for elite programs, mileage programs, lounges, is to attract and retain high value business. United seems to be loosing sight (as to be fair are other airlines as well) the entire way one tries to retain business.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by spin88
If the United Club were a stand along business yes. But its not. It is designed to drive travel to United. if 15-20% of Club members drop, and then start to fly UA less (e.g. get a AMEX card and use it flying on DL or AS or an airline at an airport that has a centurian lounge) well then UA is out what is likely to be higher value travel spending too...

The entire reason for elite programs, mileage programs, lounges, is to attract and retain high value business. United seems to be loosing sight (as to be fair are other airlines as well) the entire way one tries to retain business.
Here's a case in point. For years I've avoided TK, in part from stories I'd heard about connecting in Istanbul. No longer. Recently I had to fly TK and transfer through the the new airport in IST. The flight experiences were very nice, and both the business and M&S lounges there simply blow away anything DL, AA or UA offer stateside. Yes, I know, those lounges aren't there to compete with Emirates and the other ME carriers, but they also don't compete well with the LH and TK lounges in the US.

MsHalls120 has been rabidly loyal to UA for the past 20 years, because that was the only airline we flew while going overseas, with one exception. Earlier this month we flew LH in C, and she had her eyes opened. There are other options out there, and if UA doesn't up it's game, they are going to lose those of us with the discretionary income to shop around for the best value/experience.
BeanTownBoy and 747FC like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 18, 2019 at 12:09 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
If they brought in complimentary cocktail offerings comparable to Polaris or at least comparable to an international UC like LHR, I'd consider renewing. But I'll just let my membership expire. Between *A access on international routes and F flights back/forth on PS, the 1-2 times I may be at some random outstation on a non-eligible itinerary I'll splurge for a single pass. Even if I buy a handful, I'm ahead of the game.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.