Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club membership now $650 effective 8/13/19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat

And they'll discontinue the $50 initiation fee. Looks like the change was (un)announced sometime in the last week.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hip-rates.html
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Well - its about time, seems that is the best route to reduce the crowds. They don't show the new prices for elites though.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
And they'll discontinue the $50 initiation fee. Looks like the change was (un)announced sometime in the last week.

Have to imagine that means we are looking at CC increases for the Club Card and any of the legacy cards that grant access. Ugh.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by sexykitten7

What a joke. I have an Amex PLT card, SO has one too, the AMEX lounges are far, far, far better than UA's lounges, are in most of the airports I frequently, and as long as I fly AS or DL, I can use my AMEX card to access the lounges on them (or internationally) as well. Costs me $550 x2, and I get a great credit card to boot. @:-)

The package UA is offering is just inferior, to go with an inferior lounge. These kinds of things just make UA non-competitive. Faced with flying AS the other day (lounge access) vs. UA (no lounge access) guess who I flew....
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
And new access restrictions (same day UA/partner only)

I have to think that the one time passes are a big pollutant (probably explorer is at least 10x the club card) but I'm sure the club members/card holders are far heavier users.
ContinentalFan, LIH and AceReport like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Overcrowded clubs. Degraded food experiences (except LAX <3). This. Is crap.
halls120 and Kacee like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by onthesam
The UA hot food choices at the ORD UCs are nice as well.

What UA really needs to is to cut down on the credit card passes, or raise the price of the 1-time passes a meaningful amount. I have got to imagine that most people in the club are not regular UC members, whether via the Club Card or direct membership.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by onthesam
Um. The chow at Ord is the best it’s ever been. Ditto many other clubs.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
The chicken mush in May followed by this months beef mush?

The ORD food has fallen off a cliff. Well documented on FT (and in person).

ETA:

How is $59 not meaningful? I was at ORD earlier this year and an agent was trying to talk a gentleman out of purchasing a 1-time pass as he only had 20 minutes (and was jet lagged, in transit from SYD. I guested him in.). She insisted it wasn't worth the money.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
$450 to $650?

So I am reading this as saying that everybody, no matter the status, is paying $650/year? 1K's now pay $450. And with the new rates the Chase UA Club card at $450/year will be seeing a huge spike in apps (subject to 5/24). " Effective August 13, 2019, we will no longer require a $50 United Club initiation fee. The new United Club annual membership price will be $650 or 85,000 miles. "
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by spin88
What a joke. I have an Amex PLT card, SO has one too, the AMEX lounges are far, far, far better than UA's lounges, are in most of the airports I frequently, and as long as I fly AS or DL, I can use my AMEX card to access the lounges on them (or internationally) as well. Costs me $550 x2, and I get a great credit card to boot. @:-)

The package UA is offering is just inferior, to go with an inferior lounge. These kinds of things just make UA non-competitive. Faced with flying AS the other day (lounge access) vs. UA (no lounge access) guess who I flew....
Yeah but you're posting in a united forum and not all of their airports have Centurion lounges. And Amex entry dragons aren't going to (easily, if at all) help during IROPS. It isn't apples to apples, and nor is it confirmed the CC will go up. Maybe this United makes enough sharing revenue with Chase to keep that at the current annual fee - I'm pretty sure that happened with AA and Citi (or maybe it was that Citi allows multiple free cardholders vs. a family account).
Eadward, seat38a and AceReport like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by milepig
Um. The chow at Ord is the best it’s ever been. Ditto many other clubs.
"Many other clubs" is something of an overstatement. Those who fly out of SFO know the UC food options at UA's so-called "crown jewel" are just pathetic. Was just at BOS, which was even worse. And of course the UC situation at EWR is a complete embarrassment.

Thanks UA, for making the renewal decision so easy for me.

Last edited by Kacee; Jun 17, 2019 at 8:00 pm
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I guess they got what they wanted. I won't renew. I've been flying AS/DL more and more and its fantastic. With T-Mobile I get free GoGo Internet and when flying DL I get access to SkyClubs with the AMEX Plat. No brainer for me.
spin88 and nomad420 like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Gig103
Yeah but you're posting in a united forum and not all of their airports have Centurion lounges.
I am making a more fundamental point. For those who value a decent (and reasonably priced) lounge experience, United is more and more taking itself out of the running. Yes, if you are tied at the hip to United, then it really does not matter what they do to you, right. No need to worry if they are competitive.

But for a lot of fliers, and particularly people who have the AMEX PLT card, flying UA just gets to be less and less of an option.

The point of having lounges is to attract and retain customers. United is not a lounge provider, its an AIRLINE. It attracts passengers (or repels them) with its offerings, and jacking up the lounge price, while cutting their quality (a trend we know is going to get worse as more Polaris Lounges get rolled out) is going to have an impact.

I used to have a Club card, ditched it, and well, when I found that when I flew DL (and now AS) with my AMEX card I got lounge access in their lounges, while on UA I got bupkis, it started to steer yet more of my $$$ away from UA. I doubt I am the only one.
UA_Flyer and JimInOhio like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
I've been looking for a reason to cancel my UC membership (that I have through the Chase United Club card) and this might just be the thing to do it. Living overseas I never really use United Clubs and when I do travel I'm *G anyway so I gain access to lounges on most of the legs.
Boofer and Nagasaki Joe like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.