Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club membership now $650 effective 8/13/19

United Club membership now $650 effective 8/13/19

Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
"Whored" themselves?

Not sure you understand the role that CC cross-branding plays in UA's profitability. Same for AA & DL. Bottom line is that the CC holders are the true elites for UA and not some kind of third-class citizen.

When AA raised its AC prices, the card price did not increase. Not sure why it seems a given here that UA will raise those prices here.

The value proposition is a different thing. Whether the piece of chicken is worth the cost is subjective. It is fair to say that UA's wildly varying UC product does not help assessing that, but it seems that the UC's are still crowded, so....
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:22 am

I guess I have a different perspective on this. I picked up the Chase Club card early this year. I recently took a new role At work that involves flying between AUS (home) to SFO and LAX 2-3x a month. I occasionally make the flight from SNA to SFO as well. I only fly United - but had no status with any airline to start.

The Club card seemed a bargain since it gave me lounge access, priority baggage handling, and group 2 boarding. I use the card exclusively for work expenses and had no trouble hitting the spending mark to help with my United status. My flight pattern means I’ll never get 1K because my employer requires economy for shorter trips and I won’t hit the spending qualification. It’ll be a stretch to hit Platinum this year, but I’m thinking of making the run.

Back to the lounge. I fly Monday and Friday mornings. No criticism on anyone’s lifestyle but a whiskey sour at 10AM is not my style. 😂 I drink water, grab a bowl of oatmeal, maybe a pastry or three, and sit. The only time I have seen a United lounge crowded - not even full - was in SFO at 5:30 AM local time - presumably because only one of the three lounges was open. The food isn’t widely varied but is good quality. Every lounge is a bit different though, which surprises me.

For me the lounge value is the comfy chair, the relative quiet, the less public bathrooms, decent WiFi, and a place to charge up my phone. I have even had a lounge agent come find me to offer me help rebooking a delayed flight!

The United Club hits all my wants nicely. It is convenient to my United gate. I get a snack and some peace. It isn’t overcrowded. If the price goes up I will renew. I’ll keep my Chase Club card to do it since it gets me priority on complimentary upgrades too.
seat38a, MarkyMarc and Rock214 like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Often1
"Whored" themselves?

Not sure you understand the role that CC cross-branding plays in UA's profitability. Same for AA & DL. Bottom line is that the CC holders are the true elites for UA and not some kind of third-class citizen.

When AA raised its AC prices, the card price did not increase. Not sure why it seems a given here that UA will raise those prices here.

The value proposition is a different thing. Whether the piece of chicken is worth the cost is subjective. It is fair to say that UA's wildly varying UC product does not help assessing that, but it seems that the UC's are still crowded, so....
I think this is exactly right. United makes a lot of money from its co-brand partnership with Chase, but apparently not enough as compared to DL/AA. Presumably, it would rather have fewer standalone UC members and transition as many as possible to a co-brand CC product that offers lounge access as a benefit. This allows Chase to capture some of the wallet share of these (demographically likely) big-spending individuals, which increases the value of the partnership to Chase and ensures a growing source of mileage sales for United. In that respect, the mean Club cardholder is probably worth more to United than the revenue/profit generated from an annual UC member, and this move encourages such behavior; e.g., annual Club member becoming a Club cardholder.

In other words, it's not about reducing crowds or improving amenities. United's objective is to pump up its value to Chase so as to secure a more lucrative co-brand deal.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Wx4caster
At HNL, *G gets you into the new ANA lounge (granted, hours are limited)
Before anyone get very excited about the ANA lounge at HNL - the hours are very limited, opens at 8:30am until the last ANA flight, which is about 2:00. Therefore, not usable for the early morning bank of UA flights - not really usable for EWR, ORD, DEN flights - and certainly can't be used for all the red eye flights.

If you choose to go for the early afternoon bank of flights - I suggest you get to the airport early. The ANA lounge is far from the vast majority of UA departures - it is a hike. Carrying a laptop and bag means you may be a bit of a sweaty mess by the time you reach your gate as the HNL walkways are not air conditioned.

And for the shower lovers - no showers in the ANA lounge.
IAH-OIL-TRASH and EWR764 like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by EWR764
I think this is exactly right. United makes a lot of money from its co-brand partnership with Chase, but apparently not enough as compared to DL/AA. Presumably, it would rather have fewer standalone UC members and transition as many as possible to a co-brand CC product that offers lounge access as a benefit. This allows Chase to capture some of the wallet share of these (demographically likely) big-spending individuals, which increases the value of the partnership to Chase and ensures a growing source of mileage sales for United. In that respect, the mean Club cardholder is probably worth more to United than the revenue/profit generated from an annual UC member, and this move encourages such behavior; e.g., annual Club member becoming a Club cardholder.

In other words, it's not about reducing crowds or improving amenities. United's objective is to pump up its value to Chase so as to secure a more lucrative co-brand deal.
There are also UC members who have the Chase United non-Club card so that's a third bucket on your list. I'm sure those are highly valuable, maybe even the most valuable, to United.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Mellified
...I’ll keep my Chase Club card to do it since it gets me priority on complimentary upgrades too...
It does? How so?

The Club card does not affect priority in any manner whatsoever. It does provide award ticket upgrade eligibility on CPU routes, but nothing priority-wise.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PTahCha
One thing that UA needs to do is make the UC experience consistent across all clubs and stop the beta testing. I mean, AC serves the same meager offerings across all of its MLL in North America.
AC doesn't even have consistent offerings between its three MLLs in YYZ, let alone across North America.

I'd also be happy for UC to improve the offerings and consistency, but I don't know if looking at AC is the right answer.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The Club card does not affect priority in any manner whatsoever. It does provide award ticket upgrade eligibility on CPU routes, but nothing priority-wise.
Actually it does since last year. Club card is now the third tie-breaker, after status and fare class. MileagePlus Upgrades
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
The last time I tried to use the United Club at SFO, it was standing room only. I ended up sitting on the fountain in the middle of the room (former Global First Lounge).
I spent ten minutes there, had one Coke, browsed the fine selection of shredded carrots or.... shredded carrots, and walked out.
I was inclined to ask for my Explorer Card pass back, since I didn't feel like I'd even gotten to use it.
But then I realized I'd never in a million years bother going into another United Club.

And the days of using the Lounge Dragons as a powerful weapon in IRROPS are long gone.
First of all, the line is usually long enough that I'd need to start booking retirement homes, not flights.
Secondly, other avenues are just as capable (or, anymore at United, INcapable, given UA's constant revoking of agent privileges) of "re-accommodating" passengers.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:29 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Legend717
...And the days of using the Lounge Dragons as a powerful weapon in IRROPS are long gone...
On average, maybe, long-gone absolutely not. Spent last year as 1K having lost access to the GS desk. Was flying ORD > MIA in the midst of a ridiculous sub-zero day in Chicago that had O'Hare in pear-shape mode. ORD B6 UC agent was working me ORD > MIA, ORD > PBI, ORD > EWR > MIA, and ORD > FLL all for departures going in the next hour. Ended up needing to do ORD > EWR > MIA and she even kept me in F on a C fare. O'Hare probably had 50%+ cancellations that day so every seat on every plane was full. All that work allowed me to make a meeting that was hugely important to me. I would have paid $650 incrementally for that seat out of my own pocket in two seconds.

I don't take exception with people that point out that the lounge experience today is not as good as the lounge experience in 1980 or 1990 or 2000. Nor do I take exception with relatively infrequent travelers not seeing the value in lounge access, or uber-frequent travelers finding a set of lounges that provide better value for them, but the idea that if you are a heavy UA flyer that the UC is "worthless" to me is just hyperbole.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:32 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Legend717
The last time I tried to use the United Club at SFO, it was standing room only. I ended up sitting on the fountain in the middle of the room (former Global First Lounge)....
Sounds like the tiny G99 club, there are three other UCs at SFO. The G99 UC is for intenrnational departing passengers not eligible for the Polaris Lounge. It would not be my first choice of UCs at SFO with the others available.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LIH
the idea that if you are a heavy UA flyer that the UC is "worthless" to me is just hyperbole.
Definitely not worthless. Question is, how much is it worth? We know what UA now thinks it's worth (and I'm sure they'll continue to get plenty of takers).
cawhite likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by LIH
On average, maybe, long-gone absolutely not. Spent last year as 1K having lost access to the GS desk. Was flying ORD > MIA in the midst of a ridiculous sub-zero day in Chicago that had O'Hare in pear-shape mode. ORD B6 UC agent was working me ORD > MIA, ORD > PBI, ORD > EWR > MIA, and ORD > FLL all for departures going in the next hour. Ended up needing to do ORD > EWR > MIA and she even kept me in F on a C fare. O'Hare probably had 50%+ cancellations that day so every seat on every plane was full. All that work allowed me to make a meeting that was hugely important to me. I would have paid $650 incrementally for that seat out of my own pocket in two seconds.

I don't take exception with people that point out that the lounge experience today is not as good as the lounge experience in 1980 or 1990 or 2000. Nor do I take exception with relatively infrequent travelers not seeing the value in lounge access, or uber-frequent travelers finding a set of lounges that provide better value for them, but the idea that if you are a heavy UA flyer that the UC is "worthless" to me is just hyperbole.
As much as I'm one considering not renewing my membership, I completely agree with what you said. The agents are typically fantastic and sometimes seem to do things phone agents can't do. I may not care for the food/wine/beer, but I do love the agents, some of which are good friends now.
cawhite likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
As much as I'm one considering not renewing my membership, I completely agree with what you said. The agents are typically fantastic and sometimes seem to do things phone agents can't do. I may not care for the food/wine/beer, but I do love the agents, some of which are good friends now.
+1

To me, the value proposition of the club is the 3-4 times a year a club agent saves my travel bacon. I value the ability to work out problems face to face with someone who acts like they care about my business. Neither the 1K line (not face to face) nor the gate agents (don't act like they care) can provide this type of service. Everything else is gravy.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by Catbert10
+1

To me, the value proposition of the club is the 3-4 times a year a club agent saves my travel bacon. I value the ability to work out problems face to face with someone who acts like they care about my business. Neither the 1K line (not face to face) nor the gate agents (don't act like they care) can provide this type of service. Everything else is gravy.
I've had the UC agent save my travel multiple times as well. Just 2 weeks ago, even though it was weather related and I was not entitled to it, the UC agent issued me 3 $20.00 food vouchers after she tried to get me on an earlier flight and she could not. Last year had a delayed flight with tight connection. The UC agent at LAX also booked the three of us on Air Canada just in case we would not make our connection. When we got to the gate after our outbound flight finally arrived, the gate agent made an account that they were too busy trying to turn the flight so either to call the 800 number or talk to customer service.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.