Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club membership now $650 effective 8/13/19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Club membership now $650 effective 8/13/19

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by wxguy
The other day I had a two-hour layover at SFO. I first headed to the AMEX lounge. It was PACKED, noisy, stuffy, and had kids running all over the place. I grabbed some food, ate standing up (literally musical chairs with people hovering over those who looked like they were about to leave), and left. I then went to the rotunda UA where I had a seat, power for my laptop, a beverage, and peace and quiet. I guess MMV.
Indeed - you can find a seat at Centurion but it's as tight as sitting next to someone in a gate area before boarding, good luck getting work done or taking a call. Not a premium experience. With wifi and more modern terminals gate areas are often more comfortable than the clubs these days.

The drinks are great, but the food overrated - dark meat chicken. I'd like a Centurion bar in the terminal - just walk up, order a nice drink in a to go cup, and head to a wide open gate area.

I'm curious if this price change helps crowding at places like EWR and ORD on the United side. SFO rotunda is usually pretty easy to find something private to work and take calls. Same for most of the outstation clubs.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
We can speculate why some clubs are better than others, but it's not build date. Plenty of new clubs with awful food. Personally I believe it has to do with competition. LAX is the most competitive hub, and it has the best food.
Yes, my theory exactly. LAX and ORD are only domestic hubs where UA doesn’t have massive market share.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by TomMM
If the clubs were as bad as described here they wouldn't be overcrowded.
Don't forget about hub captivity.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by spin88
What a joke. I have an Amex PLT card, SO has one too, the AMEX lounges are far, far, far better than UA's lounges, are in most of the airports I frequently, and as long as I fly AS or DL, I can use my AMEX card to access the lounges on them (or internationally) as well. Costs me $550 x2, and I get a great credit card to boot. @:-)

The package UA is offering is just inferior, to go with an inferior lounge. These kinds of things just make UA non-competitive. Faced with flying AS the other day (lounge access) vs. UA (no lounge access) guess who I flew....
Looks like there are only 8 Centurion lounges in the US (Oct. 3, 2018): DFW, IAH, LAS, MIA, LGA, PHL, SFO, SEA. Out of those, only 6 are at least reasonably convenient to UA gates: IAH, LAS, LGA, PHL, SFO, SEA. Only 2 of those are UA hubs. And with restrictions of departure-only (SFO) and severe overcrowding, as good as the f&b might be, I fail to understand how AMEX Centurion is a viable alternative to UA Clubs except for those who happen to be based in that half dozen of cities. UA has clubs in 27 US airports, multiple in some...
Eadward likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Many Centurion Lounges are packed, sometimes worse than UCs. The lounge at SFO is a particularly stellar example of overcrowding. AMEX has recently reduced access—no more entry on arrival unless connecting. And access only three hours before departure. It has helped—a little.

The United membership increase is long overdue. AMEX needs to hike the price for the platinum card too.
It depends on how often you fly. I visit a UC around three times a week. Membership makes sense for me.
It isn’t for me, as the UC membership is reimbursed.
Ah... well your last post explains a good bit.

Would membership still "make sense" if you were actually the one footing the bill? And would you be as interested in a long overdue increase if you were footing the bill?

Regards

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Looks like there are only 8 Centurion lounges in the US (Oct. 3, 2018): DFW, IAH, LAS, MIA, LGA, PHL, SFO, SEA. Out of those, only 6 are at least reasonably convenient to UA gates: IAH, LAS, LGA, PHL, SFO, SEA. Only 2 of those are UA hubs. And with restrictions of departure-only (SFO) and severe overcrowding, as good as the f&b might be, I fail to understand how AMEX Centurion is a viable alternative to UA Clubs except for those who happen to be based in that half dozen of cities. UA has clubs in 27 US airports, multiple in some...
You are spot on. Historically, we have flown AA and I've tried to explain to AA fliers who love to sing the praises of Centurion Lounges as their savior, that AA literally has 4 Admirals Clubs... at DFW alone. We loved Cent Lounges in the early days too, but like some many things that have been flogged to death on FT and in the blogsphere they were a victim of the own success...

Regards

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 18, 2019 at 12:28 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:01 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B

Except for SFO, Centurion lounges are not very convenient for UA flights. IAH club is some what ok since terminal D is connected but its a long walk. The new LAX Centurion will be located at the new midfield TBIT concourse so its even a longer walk than *Alliance lounge and the Denver Centurion Lounge is supposed to open at concourse C isn't served by United and would require a train ride back.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The United Club experience has improved incrementally over the years, but the basic United Club concept still lags the Sky Club. I disagree with the notion that food service quality has declined over recent years... does anyone remember what it was like 3-5 years ago, and membership costs were about the same? I generally dislike price increases but I’m not about to launch a letter-writing campaign over this one.

I still have a problem with the fact that the United Club situation at EWR Terminal C is a debacle and hasn’t improved in nearly 20 years... as an EWR-based customer I don’t fly Polaris every single trip, and these days I usually just blow off the lounge at my home airport. Terminal A is adequate, but nothing special. Still, I suppose my location gives me as good a basis as any to complain about the increase.

From my perspective, two things need to change:
- Better alcohol selection. Liquor has improved marginally from the bargain-basement swill of the depths of the Smisek era, but at minimum, why can’t there be at least a complimentary local beer at each station?
- Maintenance of espresso machines. Is it just me, or are they out of service more often?

I just hope UA doesn’t follow DL with its guest access policy.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
So for the folks dropping Club Card, what is your daily driver CC for general spend (NOT travel or dining - those go to Sapphire Reserve). I am talking bills, auto servicing, mall shops, etc?
Freedom Unlimited is strictly better than the Club Card from an earn perspective.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EWR764
The United Club experience has improved incrementally over the years, but the basic United Club concept still lags the Sky Club.
Yes, it certainly does (though interestingly, the SCs are worst at DL's captive hubs, just as with UA).

And (except apparently at LAX) the UC food options have been cut within the last six months (i.e., Kirbyized). So the price increase now is especially galling.
EWR764 and onthesam like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
And (except apparently at LAX) the UC food options have been cut within the last six months (i.e., Kirbyized). So the price increase now is especially galling.
How do you cut the UC food options? No more soup? No food at all?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
This is 100% on-point. Though the food was improved in late 2017 and into 2018, those gains have quickly been clawed back. Nice hot entrees (such as beef sandwiches) have been exchanged for Sysco-style out-of-a-giant-can stews. Often times the quality is worse than that of a grade school cafeteria. Even the hot cocoa bars have been degraded from brand name natural offerings to generic with tons of preservatives and artificial ingredients.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:23 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
The United Club experience has improved incrementally over the years, but the basic United Club concept still lags the Sky Club. I disagree with the notion that food service quality has declined over recent years... does anyone remember what it was like 3-5 years ago, and membership costs were about the same? I generally dislike price increases but I’m not about to launch a letter-writing campaign over this one.

I still have a problem with the fact that the United Club situation at EWR Terminal C is a debacle and hasn’t improved in nearly 20 years... as an EWR-based customer I don’t fly Polaris every single trip, and these days I usually just blow off the lounge at my home airport. Terminal A is adequate, but nothing special. Still, I suppose my location gives me as good a basis as any to complain about the increase.

From my perspective, two things need to change:
- Better alcohol selection. Liquor has improved marginally from the bargain-basement swill of the depths of the Smisek era, but at minimum, why can’t there be at least a complimentary local beer at each station?
- Maintenance of espresso machines. Is it just me, or are they out of service more often?

+1

I buy my booze in UCs and if they would upgrade to one better free beer option or drinkable house wine that would save me a few thousand dollars a year (not holding my breath for that).

The espresso machines are less than 50/50 operational at most of the hubs and agree that's a big issue for me and probably just boils down to poor maintenance by the staff as opposed to a flaw in the machines themselves.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by itsMoe
The SFO one has gotten so bad that on several occasions I haven't been able to find a single free seat for a good half hour, at which point I gave up and left.
This is true. Thats why I opt for the UC instead in SFO.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
How do you cut the UC food options? No more soup? No food at all?
Basically reduction in options.

As I noted off-topically in another thread, they now have only one, 'cheddar' cheese; the pepper and colby (?) jack cubes must have been fractions of cents more expensive, and they've disappeared. For some time there were two soups in several Clubs, now from what I see, everywhere is back to one at a time. The bread roll choices are also limited, but I haven't eaten a roll in years so I can only assume they are also worse. The cold meats are out for a only a short time, and maybe just one tray per day??

I think we're still ahead of the offerings from perhaps four years ago, but certainly for the past year it feels to me that it's one step forward two steps back.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:33 am

I wonder if this will affect the UC club card @$450
Dublin_rfk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.