Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club membership now $650 effective 8/13/19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Club membership now $650 effective 8/13/19

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
I’m confused. The attachment shows as 1K the cost as$450 which is the price I’ve already been paying. Am I missing something?
All we have for now is the banner headline announcing a future fee increase, appears the text body is still reflecting today's prices.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:23 pm
Suspended

I just called United and Chase. They both said if you have the Club Card the annual fee remains as $450. The card increase is not applicable.... just the regular membership
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Did Chase raise their annual fee last time United raised membership rates? And if so, were existing cardholders grandfathered?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Did Chase raise their annual fee last time United raised membership rates? ...
Yes

And if so, were existing cardholders grandfathered?
No
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:00 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Did Chase raise their annual fee last time United raised membership rates? And if so, were existing cardholders grandfathered?
And remember both airlines, and banks, are regulated institutions...but with very different business models and regulations.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
To my recollection (and I am happy to be proven wrong if my memory is not clear):

The Presidential Plus card cost $375 in 2008, when I got it. In 2010, after the merger was announced but before it was official, CO raised their membership prices. (I bought my Lifetime membership during the short window after the new rates were announced but before they went into effect.) They also raised the annual cost of the Presidential Plus card from $375 to $395 somewhere in that timeline, but existing cardholders were grandfathered in at the $375 rate. (I don't know what United's annual rates were for the RCC.) When the United Club Card was introduced shortly thereafter, I believe it was at the $395 rate.

A few years ago, United improved the food offerings at the UC. They rolled it out over a period of many months. Then they announced that due to the better food offerings, they were increasing the membership rates. I cannot recall if the United Club card fee increased to $450 at that time, or if there was some gap. Once the fee increased, nobody was grandfathered in at the $375 or $395 rates.

Then Jeff Smisek'd the showers. Then Scott Kirby arrived.

Cuts to the UC's followed -- particularly in hubs where UA has no competition.

Then United revoked access unless flying on a same-day ticket. Then they announced that a same-day ticket on United or a partner would be required.

Then they jacked up the annual membership fee, only without announcing that it was due to better offerings (because the food offerings are only better at LAX and to a lesser degree at ORD).

My Spidey Sense (in keeping with the new safety video and amenity kit theme) tells me that Chase will be increasing the annual fee for the Club Card when the next deal gets negotiated. And the food offerings will not improve.
onthesam and AirbusFan2B like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SS255
<snip>
My Spidey Sense (in keeping with the new safety video and amenity kit theme) tells me that Chase will be increasing the annual fee for the Club Card when the next deal gets negotiated. And the food offerings will not improve.
Certainly, you could be correct. However, it's worth noting that both AA and Delta upped the fee for annual paid memberships, but did NOT raise the annual fee for the credit card. It's possible that the airlines are finding the profit "sharing" from credit cardholders is more beneficial/lucrative than the straight-up paid membership holders and thus they are actively trying to incent that behavior.

Regards
Adelphos, seat38a and MarkyMarc like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by SS255
.... I cannot recall if the United Club card fee increased to $450 at that time, or if there was some gap. Once the fee increased, nobody was grandfathered in at the $375 or $395 rates. ....
as covered in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ug-2017-a.html
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:51 am

I'm in the PHL UA club now on Friday afternoon. It is by no means crowded but I've heard at least 10 people look for or ask for the wifi password. Presumably indicating that they are not club members...On AC flights, connecting to UA int'l flights, or day passes.

I'd like to see further upgrades to the food/drink offerings. I'll probably keep for another year or so to blow through miles and then get rid of the membership.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
I get my UC via the JPMR card so it will be interesting to see if the price hike impacts this.
silverforumsurf likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Free potato chips at SFO rotunda today! I take back everything I said about crappy food.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by scubadu
it's worth noting that both AA and Delta upped the fee for annual paid memberships, but did NOT raise the annual fee for the credit card. It's possible that the airlines are finding the profit "sharing" from credit cardholders is more beneficial/lucrative than the straight-up paid membership holders and thus they are actively trying to incent that behavior.
Raising the club membership rate while keeping the club credit card fee the same makes the club credit card all the more better of a value!
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:35 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
... It's possible that the airlines are finding the profit "sharing" from credit cardholders is more beneficial/lucrative than the straight-up paid membership holders and thus they are actively trying to incent that behavior.

Regards
This is what I've been thinking as well! Perhaps they earn something like $700 from each Chase club card, and by offering the card at a 'discount' of $450/yr, they can force more people to switch to the chase card as well as earn more from their inelastic business travelers who will continue to pay at the increased rate.
onthesam likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:54 pm
Suspended

I reconfirmed with Chase that there’s no increase in price for the annual fee for the Club card..... it seems it’s only applicable when purchasing the membership from United....annual fee will remain $450 with the credit card
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
What would whomever you correspond with at Chase know at this point?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.