Wiki Posts
Search

New Waiver Restrictions...Ticket By Date

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
New Waiver Restrictions...Ticket By Date

Just noticed on the https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...elnotices.aspx page a line that says "original ticket must have been purchased by"
I had seen that for travel agencies but not a restriction for tickets booked w. UA directly. Is this new/enforced?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dparkinson
Just noticed on the https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...elnotices.aspx page a line that says "original ticket must have been purchased by"
I had seen that for travel agencies but not a restriction for tickets booked w. UA directly. Is this new/enforced?
This has been standard. I believe it's enforced but never tested.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I believe this is new and a brief skim thru the archives confirms my suspicion. Probably in response to bad actors during 737gate who would book cheap flights and then change to desirable ones for free!
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
This is not new. I have no idea if it's enforced but I don't believe so based on an experience I had last year.

The crazy thing about this is United.com doesn't tell you about travel waivers for particular cities/connections as you're booking a ticket. So if you want to book a ticket for later today through ORD and there's a weather waiver you would have no idea about it. And travel waivers are almost exclusively cut off at the day before when the waiver goes into effect. How can United enforce a rule when they don't prevent you from booking a ticket that falls outside the ticketing cutoff date for a waiver?

Last year I had a ticket that I SDC'd through a city that wound up with a weather waiver that I was completely unaware of (see note above). After realizing there would likely be issues I had to call the 1K line to get my itinerary changed again since there was no longer a flight with my open fare class. They processed the change under the weather waiver and got someone in inventory management to open up the correct fare code for my new flights through a different city. Technically my ticketing date fell after the cut off but the 1K line didn't say anything about that. Of course, is it based on original ticketing date before any changes were made or after you SDC'd? I'd assume after you SDC.

-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.