Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread -- Active thread is United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service -- 3+ years after Intro

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Print Wikipost

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2016, 6:01 am

Programs: United 1K, EL AL Silver
They a flight to SFO as well. so most days its 3 flights

Someone told me he heard from a UA agent at TLV ???
Old Sep 4, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
A lounge in general (as opposed to Polaris-only) potentially makes sense.

There are no *A lounges at TLV, but about 15+ flights a day by *A airlines. Presuming those airlines moved over to the UC rather than using the Dan lounge it could be worth their while...
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Doesn't make sense for them to open their own even if they could get space.
The new E concourse is opening in 2017, so that's where they could find the space...
Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
C16 club ORD

I did not read all 99 pages of the Polaris thread so forgive me if I'm repeating a subject!

Construction for the new Polaris lounge at ORD's C16 United Club is kind of disconcerting, but maybe it's too early to tell. It appears the construction has blocked off about 75% of the total lounge space leaving a very tiny area for regular club members. Hope it is temporary and that the Polaris portion is limited to an appropriate size.

Last edited by tryathlete; Sep 6, 2016 at 7:57 am Reason: Not finished yet!
Old Sep 6, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Arrivals ?

As I am preparing to head to Italy tomorrow and checking on arrivals lounges(the hotel partner ones which have mostly disappeared), I am wondering if there was anything involved with Polaris that would bring some of these back ?

I have a New Zealand trip booked leaving at the end of this year and returning late January in BusinessFirst and it's still listed that way.

I am guessing there will be one plane ready to go and some slight changes to the rest of BusinessFirst but that's about it. (I did go to the DEN event and was a bit underwhelmed since I suspect it's like the new domestic first seats - it will be the exception to see any of it).

I know - expecting them to deliver on something they are heavily advertising is just craziness. Kind of like expecting flights to be on time
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
I know - expecting them to deliver on something they are heavily advertising is just craziness. Kind of like expecting flights to be on time
Would it be better if they avoided advertising the product until 100% of the fleet is converted? Or ground the entire fleet for 6 weeks to modify everything at once? Maybe make more day-of-week cancellations in certain markets to create more downtime for aircraft?

As it is now, the pace of new deliveries and retrofits (as discussed) is to be fairly brisk. Sure, there will be plenty of airplanes flying the old product for the next few years, but I'd ask again if anyone can point to another carrier's reconfiguration of similar scale that was carried out in a more expeditious manner than United is proposing?
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
As I am preparing to head to Italy tomorrow and checking on arrivals lounges(the hotel partner ones which have mostly disappeared), I am wondering if there was anything involved with Polaris that would bring some of these back ?

I have a New Zealand trip booked leaving at the end of this year and returning late January in BusinessFirst and it's still listed that way.
Slightly off-topic, but if you're returning AKL-SFO, you will have access to the UA Arrivals Lounge at SFO.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
Would it be better if they avoided advertising the product until 100% of the fleet is converted? ?
Maybe. I think United spends way too much time setting up expectations they can't meet and if you read through threads here, lots of time is spent scolding customers for expecting those expectations to be met.

I'm flying in December and January and know I will be on planes with old seats because of what I read here. Otherwise, why shouldn't I expect the product that they are advertising ?

(I know SFO has an arrivals lounge but the deal in Rome is gone as is Paris).

I live in DEN and will hit a million miles tomorrow somewhere between ORD and FCO. This frees me in many ways. I did fly AA to Barcelona in May because of the AA vacations deal. United can rarely offer an INTL upgrade with miles and money - usually just a waitlist so now I look for the best price to just buy business wherever. It's all my own money.

Feel free to scold more - I know I am supposed to be grateful for any seat on a plane that gets there whenever they feel like flying.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by tryathlete
I did not read all 99 pages of the Polaris thread so forgive me if I'm repeating a subject!

Construction for the new Polaris lounge at ORD's C16 United Club is kind of disconcerting, but maybe it's too early to tell. It appears the construction has blocked off about 75% of the total lounge space leaving a very tiny area for regular club members. Hope it is temporary and that the Polaris portion is limited to an appropriate size.
Just a hunch, but I expect the C united club to be about the size as the one currently at B16 if not smaller. The B6 club is going to be much much larger than it was before, so I would guess the thinking is go to C if you're in Polaris, or one of the Bs for everything else. C if you're desperate.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by villox
Just a hunch, but I expect the C united club to be about the size as the one currently at B16 if not smaller. The B6 club is going to be much much larger than it was before, so I would guess the thinking is go to C if you're in Polaris, or one of the Bs for everything else. C if you're desperate.
Hopefully there won't be a major loss of square footage in the C club. In theory, only the pax connecting C to C need to use the C club, others can go elsewhere. E.g.:

Originators to B gates: Use B6/16 clubs
Originators to C gates: Use B6 club (much larger)
Originators to E/F gates: Use F club
B to E/F connectors: Use B/F clubs
C to E/F connectors: Use F club
B to B connectors: Use B clubs

Connectors to C gates might prefer to use a club closer to their departure gate, but in theory, any inter-concourse transfer pax will also pass (or be near to) a much larger standard UC (all this presuming the C club will be losing space).
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by EWR764
Hopefully there won't be a major loss of square footage in the C club. In theory, only the pax connecting C to C need to use the C club, others can go elsewhere. E.g.:

Originators to B gates: Use B6/16 clubs
Originators to C gates: Use B6 club (much larger)
Originators to E/F gates: Use F club
B to E/F connectors: Use B/F clubs
C to E/F connectors: Use F club
B to B connectors: Use B clubs

Connectors to C gates might prefer to use a club closer to their departure gate, but in theory, any inter-concourse transfer pax will also pass (or be near to) a much larger standard UC (all this presuming the C club will be losing space).
Bolding mine At least from what people have gathered from anecdotal conversations with staff is that the current C Club will lose some space and be "combined" with the current GFL to form the new Polaris Lounge. This leaves the remaining C Club with a smaller footprint going forward.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Bolding mine At least from what people have gathered from anecdotal conversations with staff is that the current C Club will lose some space and be "combined" with the current GFL to form the new Polaris Lounge. This leaves the remaining C Club with a smaller footprint going forward.
That makes sense. I think it is clear that the former ORD IFL needed to be several orders of magnitude larger if it is going to meet the expectations set forth in the various Polaris announcements. If it borrows from the C club (space on the satellite is limited), so be it, as presumably a material volume of current UC visitors will be Polaris-eligible, and the B6 club is growing significantly.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Maybe. I think United spends way too much time setting up expectations they can't meet and if you read through threads here, lots of time is spent scolding customers for expecting those expectations to be met.

I'm flying in December and January and know I will be on planes with old seats because of what I read here. Otherwise, why shouldn't I expect the product that they are advertising ?

I live in DEN and will hit a million miles tomorrow somewhere between ORD and FCO. This frees me in many ways. I did fly AA to Barcelona in May because of the AA vacations deal. United can rarely offer an INTL upgrade with miles and money - usually just a waitlist so now I look for the best price to just buy business wherever. It's all my own money.

Feel free to scold more - I know I am supposed to be grateful for any seat on a plane that gets there whenever they feel like flying.
...and according to UA you will receive all the new Polaris soft product enhancements beginning on flights 1 December.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:23 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... Otherwise, why shouldn't I expect the product that they are advertising ? ...
If UA was unique among the airlines doing this, then it might make sense to make a big deal about this -- BUT UA is not unique. Airlines regularly announce and hype futures and then take 2-3-4-5 years to get their fleets updated. That's the airline biz.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 5:41 am

I'm not scolding at all, but it seems those expectations are somewhat unrealistic, and I am curious if you have a view as to how it could be done better?

Taking one's business elsewhere is always a viable option, but if the justification to do so is a disparity in business class seating products, or a complaint as to the "slow" pace of a product improvement, I can't think of alternative carriers which are doing a better job of that on a broad scale.

Last edited by EWR764; Sep 8, 2016 at 5:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.