Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread -- Active thread is United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service -- 3+ years after Intro

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Print Wikipost

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LDVFlyer
That efficiency always comes at the expense of something.

From the looks of it, Polaris sacrificed workspace, footwells, armrests, perhaps even structural stability for density.
I would agree the pictures look like this is true.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Nonsense.

Passengers care about space and comfort.
Yep. The only reason I refuse to fly coach on anything over 6 hours any more. It's not for the food, the IFE, or any other reason.

Originally Posted by minnyfly

Sadly, that's often the case. But it isn't always. This time it isn't. How UA customized these seats will determine the good and bad, because on paper it's excellent.
Well, I think I'll wait to experience them for myself before I judge. I think there are some nice features in the overall Polaris package, but I'm not convinced from the pictures that the seat will be as comfortable as current. I hope I'm wrong. I'm not ready to say it's excellent on paper, even if the "on paper" part mattered.

I get a little claustrophobic on long hauls and the mere appearance of space relieves it. It's why for me, even flying in a 767 vs. a 757 matters. And it does look like there's less open space/personal space with these seats.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Fasano Havenshire
Is Polaris a United product or a partnership company?
"Polaris" is UA's branding for the whole business class travel experience -- including the seats, the on aircraft experience, the lounge, ..

from UA's press release
. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
How can high density ever be good for the customer?
Well, given that people want to be able to use GPUs and buy awards in long-haul premium cabin, high density would seem to be good for these purposes.

Less seats are going to equal less opportunity for these methods to get into the cabin. I'll openly admit that as my travel is almost exclusively personal, I don't buy business - it's just not something I can afford. I have, where the opportunity makes sense, used miles + copay to upgrade, and done pretty well when I wanted to. But less seats would mean folks who rely on using GPUs, miles and copay, or upgrade offers would get left out, and only people who are actually willing to pay for it would be able to get it. Complaints about R space would just get worse in a low density configuration.

That's how many international carriers set it up - they can afford to do lower density (and add better things/service) since the seats are all paid for. Ever heard of people using a certificate to upgrade on SQ? CX? EK? EY? There's a reason for that.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 3:45 am
GeP

Originally Posted by coolbeans202
First Polaris seats on the 77W, which we expected to debut on long EWR routes, yet the first Polaris lounge will be at ORD...so does that mean our assumption was wrong about where the 77W will first start out? Or it's just United being United?
Apart from practical considerations which others managed, doesn't it actually make sense to roll out a change like this widely instead of fully at one hub and not at all anywhere else? I fail to see what's negative about this.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Well, given that people want to be able to use GPUs and buy awards in long-haul premium cabin, high density would seem to be good for these purposes. ...
I also think people here don't fully appreciate that the two-class configuration will free up a lot of seats for paying customers/upraders -- not just because it's denser, but because it replaces GF seats that currently go to NRSAs.

For example, today I'm on a 767 flight where 4 out of 6 GF seats are going to NRSAs (about average, IME). With Polaris that translates to 8-10 extra BF seats available for paying customers (out of maybe 36-40). That's a big deal.

Of course the NRSAs will be out of luck. I wonder if there's going to be any pushback from the NRSAs, or if UAL will set up a NRSA set-aside within the Polaris class.....

Last edited by porciuscato; Jun 11, 2016 at 7:21 am
Old Jun 11, 2016, 7:31 am

Disappointment - Still not doing anything with EWR/IAD-HNL

Looking at the fact that most of the PMUA/PMCO aircraft will be retrofitted, I am finding it difficult to see that 764ER will not be retrofitted, considering some of which would be put to the Europe routes. If UA eventually standardize all the BF will be called Polaris, then I hope that they will retrofit 764ER, and let the people into the United Polaris Club. It is not fair to the customers to choose to take the EWR/IAD-HNL instead of EWR-LAX/SFO-HNL with the similar aircraft BF configuration yet they have no way to access the lounge.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
In terms of comfort I much prefer the UA 2-4-2 seats over anything on the 787 in business. The seats are not comfortable on the 787s and should take priority. On the 777s I have a choice of GF which is much better than the new product and what is offered on two class 787s and 777s. I would much prefer to see the 787s get the new product first.
I understand you feel that way, and it's obviously a matter of opinion, but the IPTE 2-4-2 J layout in general (LD 747 and 777) has the lowest customer satisfaction metrics of the various premium cabin seats at United and undoubtedly has the worst optics. A more experienced traveler will be familiar with the nuances of the products, but I think United knows its current IPTE J seat is not particularly competitive with the latest-generation products and will be disposing of those seats early on.

Originally Posted by porciuscato
or if UAL will set up a NRSA set-aside within the Polaris class.....
No chance. Pass travel on a space-available basis is a benefit, not an entitlement.

IMO what will be more interesting is if there are changes for positive-space company business travel rules. Right now, certain categories of employees are entitled to 3-cabin business class seats while traveling on company business. On two-cabin airplanes, they're relegated to Y.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Well, given that people want to be able to use GPUs and buy awards in long-haul premium cabin, high density would seem to be good for these purposes.

Less seats are going to equal less opportunity for these methods to get into the cabin. I'll openly admit that as my travel is almost exclusively personal, I don't buy business - it's just not something I can afford. I have, where the opportunity makes sense, used miles + copay to upgrade, and done pretty well when I wanted to. But less seats would mean folks who rely on using GPUs, miles and copay, or upgrade offers would get left out, and only people who are actually willing to pay for it would be able to get it. Complaints about R space would just get worse in a low density configuration.

That's how many international carriers set it up - they can afford to do lower density (and add better things/service) since the seats are all paid for. Ever heard of people using a certificate to upgrade on SQ? CX? EK? EY? There's a reason for that.
In other words, these seats are good for Y passengers seeking to upgrade. But not actual J customers.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
In other words, these seats are good for Y passengers seeking to upgrade. But not actual J customers.
I think it's fair to say the seats are good for most J customers. Clearly, some will be unhappy under almost any scenario.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by porciuscato
I also think people here don't fully appreciate that the two-class configuration will free up a lot of seats for paying customers/upraders -- not just because it's denser, but because it replaces GF seats that currently go to NRSAs.

For example, today I'm on a 767 flight where 4 out of 6 GF seats are going to NRSAs (about average, IME). With Polaris that translates to 8-10 extra BF seats available for paying customers (out of maybe 36-40). That's a big deal.

Of course the NRSAs will be out of luck. I wonder if there's going to be any pushback from the NRSAs, or if UAL will set up a NRSA set-aside within the Polaris class.....
This is short sighted. If I'm this 767 3-cabin flight I'll either be in A or C/D+GPU. If I'm on the 2-cabin flight I'll either be in P or PN. Or - - really should just fly a carrier with a better product. So sure you displace some theoretical NSRAs, but you also displace some GS from higher yield fares to lower yield fares or potentially lose them all together.

Moreover, this may hold up on routes that have no business having 3-cabin service but likely doesn't on premium routes such as LHR/HKG/NRT/FRA/etc.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by fly18725
I think it's fair to say the seats are good for most J customers. Clearly, some will be unhappy under almost any scenario.
Correct, those paying higher yield fares will likely be more discerning since they have the ability to pay the same price to fly another carrier.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 8:12 am

Correct, those paying higher yield fares will likely be more discerning since they have the ability to pay the same price to fly another carrier.
I guess there are a handful of people that may pay more to take a less attractive connection or schedule in a marginally bigger seat.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 8:12 am

This is short sighted. If I'm this 767 3-cabin flight I'll either be in A or C/D+GPU. If I'm on the 2-cabin flight I'll either be in P or PN. Or - - really should just fly a carrier with a better product. So sure you displace some theoretical NSRAs, but you also displace some GS from higher yield fares to lower yield fares or potentially lose them all together.

Moreover, this may hold up on routes that have no business having 3-cabin service but likely doesn't on premium routes such as LHR/HKG/NRT/FRA/etc.
The question is whether 1.5 or 2 P fares are higher than a single C fare. I never fly business so I don't know the answer like most of you would. I'm guessing UA would rather sell 1.5 to 2 business seats at the going rate than a single business fare for a first class seat that takes up a lot more space.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by fly18725
I guess there are a handful of people that may pay more to take a less attractive connection or schedule in a marginally bigger seat.
Agree there are only a handful. But those people are not who I'm talking about. If I think of a route like SFO-HKG, a route with a lot of premium traffic, people paying for higher fare class J fares can easily take UA/CX/SQ with out compromising anything.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
If the existence of GF is really driving such a high volume of full-fare business, I suspect United would see the business case for keeping a three-cabin product long-term... but it does not.

It's clear that J sells in more markets than does F, and across the system, it follows that a larger proportion of J seats are going to be sold relative to F. If the transition to a two-cabin product costs some full fare business at the margin, obviously United has calculated that the loss of revenue would be at least offset by the larger # of J seats that it expects to sell, even at a discount.

OTOH, I don't find the current UA business product something that I would readily or voluntarily pay full-fare for, if the dollars were coming out of my pocket. The new Polaris product, as envisioned in the press release, comes closer to a product for which I might consider paying a premium.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.