FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1974311-united-polaris-new-business-class-seats-inflight-service-archive.html)

minnyfly Jun 10, 2016 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by SwisherTown (Post 26754838)
Munoz became CEO when Smisek left in September of last year.
Munoz had heart replacement surgery in October.

All this stuff was already in the pipe.

Not saying Munoz isn't more customer oriented/savvy than Smisek but we would have had the smiling Jeff every loves making the announcement if it weren't for that little thing with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

Exactly. Most of this had to be already planned by the old regime. Maybe there's some added enhancements under Oscar's watch, but I doubt it's much more than soft product items.

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 26759990)
Yeah it's hard to see the prior regime signing on for PJs, more money for food, or the fancy bedding.

This is the direction the airline was going before the regime change, so it's hard to say if the added touches can be credited to the new or old. I can see either doing it.

Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz (Post 26760046)
Agree but the highest cost associated with this - the seat - was undoubtedly locked by the time Oscar came in. It shows - by far the most dense all-aisle access J product out there. It has Jeff & his former CFO written all over it.

People are confusing "density" with "efficiency". The Polaris product is highly space-efficient. There's a lot of wasted space in other designs, and this serves no one--neither the customer nor airline. This has the high potential of being win-win for the customer and airline. Efficiency is what we should be hopeful for.

Kacee Jun 10, 2016 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by minnyfly (Post 26760554)
People are confusing "density" with "efficiency". The Polaris product is highly space-efficient. There's a lot of wasted space in other designs, and this serves no one--neither the customer nor airline. This has the high potential of being win-win for the customer and airline. Efficiency is what we should be hopeful for.

I know exactly what I mean when I reference "density" in the context of airline seating.

Personal space is the ultimate luxury on an aircraft. Increased density = decreased personal space. There is simply no avoiding that equation.

The Polaris may turn out to be a wonderful seat. But it is a very dense configuration and will therefore be less desirable to those who can afford the more spacious - and more luxurious - J and F cabins on other carriers.

minnyfly Jun 10, 2016 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 26760577)
Personal space is the ultimate luxury on an aircraft. Increased density = decreased personal space. There is simply no avoiding that equation.

That equation is simply not true, particularly in business cabins. Personal space is significantly independent of density. That's why some airlines have moved past herringbone configurations. There's more efficiency to be found.

Kacee Jun 10, 2016 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by minnyfly (Post 26760596)
That equation is simply not true, particularly in business cabins. Personal space is significantly independent of density. That's why some airlines have moved past herringbone configurations. There's more efficiency to be found.

Sorry, that makes no sense at all.

More people in the same space may be more efficient but it is also higher density. That's just basic physics.

I've flown virtually all the major configurations in J, and it is precisely what you describe as the "inefficiency" of reverse herringbone which makes it more appealing than virtually any other J configuration. From the passenger's perspective less seats in the same space = better. That's the main reason that UA GF is "better" than UA BF.

minnyfly Jun 10, 2016 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 26760625)

More people in the same space may be more efficient but it is also higher density. That's just basic physics.

I've flown virtually all the major configurations in J, and it is precisely what you describe as the "inefficiency" of reverse herringbone which makes it more appealing than virtually any other J configuration. From the passenger's perspective less seats in the same space = better. That's the main reason that UA GF is "better" than UA BF.

You're substituting "density" for "efficiency". UA's proposed configuration is more "dense", but it's also more "efficient". Efficiency is what matters to the customer and is the positive term. "Density" on it's own isn't helpful and is a negative term. A more efficient design leads to as much or more personal space while allowing as many or more people in the same floor space. In that case "high density" is also an upgrade for the customer.

I dislike either herringbone style, but that dislike is independent from it being fairly inefficient in space and incompatible with narrower fuselages. That inefficiency and incongruity does nothing for me, the customer, and nothing for the airline. If anything, it's costly for both, in the measure of less supply and higher prices.

bmwe92fan Jun 10, 2016 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 26760625)

That "inefficiency" also leads to a longer and wider seat - which in the end is what I care about most - I could give a you know what about a side table or storage area for my amenity kit - give me width and length - which is what scares me most about the new UA configuration - I hope I'm wrong but still scared I'm right....

LDVFlyer Jun 10, 2016 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by minnyfly (Post 26760596)

That efficiency always comes at the expense of something.

From the looks of it, Polaris sacrificed workspace, footwells, armrests, perhaps even structural stability for density.

Kacee Jun 10, 2016 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by minnyfly (Post 26760751)
Efficiency is what matters to the customer and is the positive term.

Nonsense.

Passengers care about space and comfort. When airlines start talking about enhancing "efficiency," passenger discomfort pretty much inevitably results.

Ugleeual Jun 10, 2016 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by UASleeper (Post 26756871)
Interesting points. I find it hard to believe that after "12,000 hours of research" and -granted only limited- secret customer feedback UA needs additional customer feedback once Polaris is rolled out on the first three 773 before it finalizes plans and decides to continue with the roll out the new seat. Especially if they haven't figured out yet how to fit The seats into the 787-8/9 ( but then again they seem to have solved that problem with the 787-10). I haven't the conversion plan in this light until now. If tit's rue, it would mean a hastily prepared and maybe not so thought through rush into the seat conversion despite three years of planning. Or at least utter insecurity about how the Polaris product will be received by its customers. If that's the case, the mostly positive feedback on what's available on paper should give UA it's much needed self esteem.

Do you have a link to the sketches for the 787 LOPA?

from what I've read ALL the international aircraft will be reconfigured... but the first aircraft to receive the new seats are the new 777-300 and A350-1000s... but the 777-200s and the remaining 767-300/400s will also get them...

Pi7473000 Jun 10, 2016 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by UASleeper (Post 26752487)
While I am agreeing with you in general, I think UA is trying to refit those planes first that have the worst seats, i.e. the pmUA backwards facing narrower 2-4-2 "business" class seats. The new 787-8/9 all have the diamond seats. Also, it seems as if UA is still trying to figure out how to fit Polaris into the 787-8/9. Although they seem to have figured it out for the 787-10. That is still the one part that confuses me as the width of the fuselage of any 787 should be the same or am I wrong?

In terms of comfort I much prefer the UA 2-4-2 seats over anything on the 787 in business. The seats are not comfortable on the 787s and should take priority. On the 777s I have a choice of GF which is much better than the new product and what is offered on two class 787s and 777s. I would much prefer to see the 787s get the new product first.

minnyfly Jun 10, 2016 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by LDVFlyer (Post 26760788)
That efficiency always comes at the expense of something.

From the looks of it, Polaris sacrificed workspace, footwells, armrests, perhaps even structural stability for density.

If something has to be significantly given up, that means it's not very efficient. It doesn't appear like Polaris "gives up" much, if anything, in any of those areas. Equivalent products flying today have been reviewed favorably.

For example, herringbone automatically (before customer customization) gives up window seats, couple's seats, seat count, fleet-wide consistency, and, in the case of the older designs, gate-to-gate AVOD. That's a long list. What do we know that Polaris gives up? The only big one to me is that not all seats are created equal. Small list.

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 26760795)
Passengers care about space and comfort. When airlines start talking about enhancing "efficiency," passenger discomfort pretty much inevitably results.

Sadly, that's often the case. But it isn't always. This time it isn't. How UA customized these seats will determine the good and bad, because on paper it's excellent.

halls120 Jun 10, 2016 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by minnyfly (Post 26760751)
In that case "high density" is also an upgrade for the customer.

How can high density ever be good for the customer? Simple math says the more seats you cram into a fixed area, the less space per seat is the inevitable result. Unless, of course, you've found a way to defy the laws of physics.

phxrsng Jun 10, 2016 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 26761178)
How can high density ever be good for the customer? Simple math says the more seats you cram into a fixed area, the less space per seat is the inevitable result. Unless, of course, you've found a way to defy the laws of physics.

Without wading into whether or not I think this is the case, it is possible. I believe the argument is along the lines of wasted space. If a passenger in the current configuration has X amount of space in their "pod" but the configuration of the overall seating layout has significant dead space between pods, it is possible to be more efficient with the layout of the pods so as to add more seats while still maintaining X amount of personal space per pod.

This would be the argument for a more efficient layout with higher density while maintaining personal space.

While it is higher density (more people in a same-sized cabin) it could be successfully argued that both sides win - passengers get the same amount of personal space in their pod and the airline gets more passengers in the cabin.

Whether this is the case or not with Polaris is another question entirely.

wco81 Jun 10, 2016 9:15 pm

Higher density means more Polaris seats than the previous layout?

So maybe better award availability?

Fasano Havenshire Jun 10, 2016 9:26 pm

Is Polaris a United product or a partnership company?