Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA627 N26123 DEN-EWR "hard landing"@ EWR, runway disembarkment - 15 June 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA627 N26123 DEN-EWR "hard landing"@ EWR, runway disembarkment - 15 June 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
nope, because it doesn't really matter.
I mean I think you can make an argument they'd be on the hook for any incidental expenses people occur due to the delays (food, hotels, etc.); I mean this is a mechanical event of their doing, not an act of God or weather event.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
I mean I think you can make an argument they'd be on the hook for any incidental expenses people occur due to the delays (food, hotels, etc.); I mean this is a mechanical event of their doing, not an act of God or weather event.
There are no US regulations that require airlines pay for incidentals even for events that are under their control (like mechanical delays). The United CoC details what they are willing to provide in these cases (see below). This is what you agree to when you purchase a ticket. They don't make an open ended commitment to reimburse for incidentals for rather obvious reasons. In other words, you should always ask what they can provide under the CoC terms rather than assuming they will simply reimburse whatever expenses you incur.

Lodging - UA will provide at its option either one night’s lodging, or, if no lodging is provided and upon the passenger’s request only, reimbursement for one night’s lodging in the form of an electronic travel certificate that may be applied to future travel on UA up to a maximum amount determined by UA when a UA flight on which a Passenger is being transported incurs Irregular Operations and the Passenger incurs a delay that is expected to exceed four hours between the hours of 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. local time. Where lodging has been offered but not accepted by a Passenger for whatever reason, UA is not liable to reimburse the Passenger for expenses relating to alternative lodging secured independently by the Passenger.

Snacks and Meals - UA will provide snacks and/or food and beverage vouchers in the event of an extensive delay caused by UA. Where food and beverage vouchers have been offered but not accepted by a Passenger for whatever reason, UA is not liable to reimburse the Passenger for expenses relating to food and beverage secured independently by the Passenger.

Ground Transportation - When lodging is furnished in accordance with 1) above and ground transportation is not furnished by the hotel, UA will provide ground transportation to the place of lodging via public conveyance. Rule 17 also governs any provision of ground transportation to a place of lodging. Where ground transportation has been offered but not accepted by a Passenger for whatever reason, UA is not liable to reimburse the Passenger for expenses relating to alternative ground transportation secured by the Passenger.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 15, 2019 at 10:04 pm
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
On what basis are you making the claim that they would be on the hook for anyone's expenses by virtue of it being a UA plane that caused the operational disruption? Not aware of any laws or regs that provide for such relief, but IANAL. Did folks on flights other other airlines that were impacted by e.g. the OZ214 crash disruption have recourse to Asiana? Don't think so.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united
They gave me a meal voucher in SFO
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Well I made it to TPA, 4 hours late which, considering, is okay. Got out of MDT just after 4pm and to the gate at EWR by 4.50pm. UA1451 had an equipment swap that had a MX (bathroom) and as it was the plane assigned for SEA had too much fuel. So after the fuel was offloaded we departed at 7.17pm and landed TPE at 10.36pm after a few loops to let the thunderstorms through.

Even though I was in an aisle seat (21C) got a good glimpse of the crocked plane on 22L.

Good of luck to everyone tomorrow. Hopefully my coworkers are connecting through ORD or IAD.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
There are no US regulations that require airlines pay for incidentals even for events that are under their control (like mechanical delays). The United CoC details what they are willing to provide in these cases (see below). This is what you agree to when you purchase a ticket. They don't make an open ended commitment to reimburse for incidentals for rather obvious reasons. In other words, you should always ask what they can provide under the CoC terms rather than assuming they will simply reimburse whatever expenses you incur.
I am well aware of the CoC provisions, which is why my examples were limited to stating food, hotel, No where did I say they need to make EU type compensation, that there was any type of US regulation (as you have twisted my words to imply such), nor did I say anything about other airlines passengers. Specifically I was saying anyone flying through EWR on UA who was delayed or cancelled, should have UA covers those expenses, because they were responsible for the impacts on all their other flights. If this had been a weather event or act of God they would have happily gone along to say nope, can't help at all.

On an unrelated note, I'm sure the port authority will happily pursue damages from UA for loss of landing fees, etc that they incurred due to this disruption. Which UA will either pay out themselves or their insurance policy for these types of events will cover, along with all the other expenses they had to pay out, such as food/hotel vouches.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am well aware of the CoC provisions, which is why my examples were limited to stating food, hotel, No where did I say they need to make EU type compensation, that there was any type of US regulation (as you have twisted my words to imply such), nor did I say anything about other airlines passengers. Specifically I was saying anyone flying through EWR on UA who was delayed or cancelled, should have UA covers those expenses, because they were responsible for the impacts on all their other flights. If this had been a weather event or act of God they would have happily gone along to say nope, can't help at all.

On an unrelated note, I'm sure the port authority will happily pursue damages from UA for loss of landing fees, etc that they incurred due to this disruption. Which UA will either pay out themselves or their insurance policy for these types of events will cover, along with all the other expenses they had to pay out, such as food/hotel vouches.
Saying they are "on the hook" strongly implies some sort of legal obligation to reimburse. The CoC repeatedly notes that while they will provide certain limited amenities in these cases (hotel and food, but no "etc."), they don't reimburse for expenses (even covered amenities like hotel and food) that you incur upon yourself. There's really no argument to be made here because it's already long been settled -

https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...-cancellations

My flight is delayed - am I entitled to money or other compensation from the airline?
  • No. There are no federal laws requiring airlines to provide passengers with money or other compensation when their flights are delayed. Each airline has its own policies about what it will do for delayed passengers. If your flight is experiencing a long delay, ask airline staff if they will pay for meals or a hotel room. While some airlines offer these amenities to passengers, others do not provide any amenities to stranded passengers.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 16, 2019 at 6:43 am
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Was reading somewhere else that it’s possible that the damage could have been caused by the descent into EWR being too high. Anecdotally, on a lot more of my flights this year on UA, I have felt that planes approaching EWR from the south for landing are approaching higher than they used to, meaning that touchdown is occurring near the end of the A gates/start of the B gates - which feels a decent amount down the runway already. Again, zero idea if this was the case here, but it jogged some observations I’ve had on flights this year.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Any landing you walk away from is a good one!

That'll probably polish out anyway.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DCP2016
This had to happen on a 757, it couldn't have happened on a 737?
Where are those cute little RJs when we need them?
DCP2016 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:52 am

One pax saying very hard first impact then at least one bounce.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/06...ort-emergency/
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Was reading somewhere else that it’s possible that the damage could have been caused by the descent into EWR being too high. Anecdotally, on a lot more of my flights this year on UA, I have felt that planes approaching EWR from the south for landing are approaching higher than they used to, meaning that touchdown is occurring near the end of the A gates/start of the B gates - which feels a decent amount down the runway already. Again, zero idea if this was the case here, but it jogged some observations I’ve had on flights this year.
Completely false. Nothing has changed with the arrival flow from the north or south. That 4R approach has been the same for years.

Last edited by clubord; Jun 16, 2019 at 8:14 am
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
The plane was still where it came to a stop when we drove by last night at 10:30 on the NJTP. Tons of flashing lights and spotlights on the plane. Wonder where they moved it to and when. 9 hours after landing and still in the same place. What a mess at EWR.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by clubord
Completely false. Nothing has changed with the arrival flow from the north or south. That 4R approach has been the same for years.
Okay, perhaps just my sense of perception, or I am paying more attention during descent as I've become more interested/attentive to flying.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Quasi-related question .... I know UA sold a pile of 757’s to FedEx a few years ago ... do they still have any out in the desert? I’m sure they could grab one on the used market fairly cheap but wasn’t sure if there were any in the boneyard.

I’d think they could refurb one fairly quick - take the interior off this damaged bird, avionics, even the engines - etc and swap them to a new frame, to get some much needed lieflat capacity.

Or, maybe it’d be quicker to take the insurance money and buy one of the fire-sale new end-of-run 777-300s from Boeing. Even more lift.

Any 787’s white tails available for purchase?

Just brainstorming to see how they can get more international-class lift quickly to backfill ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.