Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA627 N26123 DEN-EWR "hard landing"@ EWR, runway disembarkment - 15 June 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA627 N26123 DEN-EWR "hard landing"@ EWR, runway disembarkment - 15 June 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by EWR764
I doubt this ship will be directly replaced. UA is coping with the loss of one frame, and this is mitigated by the greatly increased availability of 777s now that both India flights are suspended.

Parts from #3123 will be used to support the in-service fleet.
Forgot all about the BOM and DEL suspensions! That does free up a bunch of frames indeed. Friend of mine travels those all the time - I'll connect with him and see what he's hearing.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:30 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by dmurphynj

(How I wish we still had those pmCO 767-200 birds.... they were newer than the 757's, had a GREAT ride and would be great transcon birds.)
The reason why CO decided to get rid of 762 PREmerger was that it was an even worse gus guzzler than 752 @:-)
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by EmailKid
The reason why CO decided to get rid of 762 PREmerger was that it was an even worse gus guzzler than 752 @:-)
Is there any airline anywhere which still flies a 767-200?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Is there any airline anywhere which still flies a 767-200?
Currently FR24 is showing the following pax 762 flights in the air

OY108 LAS-HNL
WG724 YYZ-LIR
UM462 - JNB-HRE
UT533 VKO-DYR
UT801 VKO-DYU

In addition there are about a dozen cargo 762s in the air
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by N104UA
Currently FR24 is showing the following pax 762 flights in the air

OY108 LAS-HNL
WG724 YYZ-LIR
UM462 - JNB-HRE
UT533 VKO-DYR
UT801 VKO-DYU

In addition there are about a dozen cargo 762s in the air
If I'm not mistaken, I believe some of the UTAir 762s are actually the former CO aircraft.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
If I'm not mistaken, I believe some of the UTAir 762s are actually the former CO aircraft.
Yes both UT and the OY a/c are -224
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:12 pm

It was post-merger, but pre-integration. Definitely post merger though.

As for gas guzzler, I'm not sure what the actual numbers were, but I can't imagine it wouldn't be profitable with a decent cargo load.

Still was one great ride... economics aside, as a passenger, there was no better ride in the fleet.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:22 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
It was post-merger, but pre-integration. Definitely post merger though.

Sort of ..... It was implemented post merger, BUT it was in the works pre merger. Part of acquiring DremLiners. Probably should have been more clear .......
dmurphynj likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
All of this begs the question. In otherwise normal conditions, how do you put a bird on the runway so hard that you total it? Is this a job ending event?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by milepig
All of this begs the question. In otherwise normal conditions, how do you put a bird on the runway so hard that you total it? Is this a job ending event?
Rumor has it the airplane bounced. If you bounce once, especially if the bounce is high, there’s a correct way to manage the situation without compounding an error (starting with a go-around, if practicable). A worst-case scenario is the SSJ in Moscow a few weeks ago, where the airplane comes back down onto the pavement with multiple g-forces, leading to structural failure.

What actually transpired here remains to be seen, but it’s clear the airframe was stressed beyond its limits, resulting in fuselage deformation in several places.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764

Rumor has it the airplane bounced. If you bounce once, especially if the bounce is high, there’s a correct way to manage the situation without compounding an error (starting with a go-around, if practicable). A worst-case scenario is the SSJ in Moscow a few weeks ago, where the airplane comes back down onto the pavement with multiple g-forces, leading to structural failure.

What actually transpired here remains to be seen, but it’s clear the airframe was stressed beyond its limits, resulting in fuselage deformation in several places.
I was on the aircraft on the port side forward of the wing, bounce is not a rumor.

On approach we turned downwind south of EWR on a northwest heading and then turned base and final. Final was straight down the Hudson and we got wonderful views of Manhattan, flew right over TEB, and MetLife Stadium. The approach was the same as other 22L/22R approaches I have experienced, there was nothing abnormal. I was looking out the window from about 15 min prior to landing until we touched down.

We crossed the threshold and I noticed that RWY 11 was closed. We touched down on RWY 22L shortly after the RWY 11 intersection, probably closer to the Mike intersection. When the main gear touched we bounced (I have been on aircraft that have bounced before and that felt mostly normal for a bounce), I believe, we then touched and bounced a second time, then on the final impact it felt more like a thud, I do not know if the nose gear or main gear hit first on the final impact. I heard what appeared to be glass breaking in the galley and noticed a flushing around the galley came loose. Then I heard what sounded like metal scraping on the ground, noticed that we were veering to the left side of the runway. The pilot brought the aircraft to a halt just shy of the grass on the left side of the runway. When we stopped you could feel the aircraft leaning towards the port side and one could smell burnt rubber.
FlytheTail likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:51 pm

Sort of ..... It was implemented post merger, BUT it was in the works pre merger. Part of acquiring DremLiners. Probably should have been more clear .......
Given that the first Dreamliners weren’t on property until late 2014.... they would’ve kept flying those birds a few more years.

I admit, it’s completely selfish, but they were truly the most comfy planes in the fleet ... and I believe the only 762’s around with the Signature Interior. Pretty spiffy for its day.

Heck of a premium bird. :-)
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Discussion from March 2013, linking the extending life of 762 due to 787 issues
Final flight for 767-200ER's

Inaugural UA Dreamliner / 787 flight was Nov 2012, Inaugural/early 787 flights FT meet-up thread

But this thread is about the recent hard-landed of an 752, so let's return to that discussion.
dmurphynj likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 1, 2019 at 9:13 pm
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Sad to see it go.

As to a replacement, maybe one of the seven older 763s not slated to get Polaris and retired could get a new lease of life? That 752 had 169 seats (16J/153Y). Reprieving a 763 and converting to High J would be 167 seats though at 46J/22P+/99Y. I can see that working for a business heavy route. And for a mostly Y heavy route with potential (say EWR-MAN or IAD-DUB?) put one of the non P+ 763s (30J/184Y) and if necessary sell lots of TODs.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
We had a pretty hard landing at EWR yesterday (UA 065, LIS-EWR, 767-400ER). Not hard enough to jam the landing gear up into the cabin but seemed surprisingly hard to me given the smooth glide to landing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.