Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Suggested methods (while onboard a flight)
- E-mail UA customer support (may not be timely response)
- UA provides free access to United.com
- Twitter
- FB Messenger
- Ask FA for assistance (they can help with info but not rebookings)
- Text message/ e-mail family / friend / travel agent

UA does not offer a "chat window"
Print Wikipost

Contacting agent in flight

Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by fatlasercat
All they see is my FB profile, how do they connect that to my UA profile without pulling up the reservation. Maybe they keep a database that connects my identities, but the first time? Of course it's not an issue if they have the capacity to look at all the messages right away, but if they have to prioritize, I want to be on the top of the list.
I always list my name and PNR in my initial message.
chavala likes this.

Last edited by threeoh; Jun 15, 2019 at 4:28 pm
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I just text my travel agent. He can book back ups, contact the airlines, etc etc

$35 per ticket, 40-50 tickets a year. For the 10% of the time I need it, invaluable!
silverforumsurf likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 4:17 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Too bad we don't have those hard-wired Airphones anymore! That said, I never saw anyone actually using them...
You never saw Die Hard 2?
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
I just text my travel agent. He can book back ups, contact the airlines, etc etc

$35 per ticket, 40-50 tickets a year. For the 10% of the time I need it, invaluable!
Some folks here fly for less :-)
SFHokie likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 15, 2019 at 5:32 pm Reason: repair quiote
Old Jun 15, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Too bad we don't have those hard-wired Airphones anymore! That said, I never saw anyone actually using them...
I did, a couple of times. They actually worked pretty well, but wasn’t cheap.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
I used one once, very very very early in my flying career during IRROPS.

I can fairly say that airphone call is the reason I am happily married today.

$20 ($40?) well spent.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:25 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
I emailed 1kvoice once, but ended up being able to SDC the flight on ua.com. 1kvoice did reply in a timely manner and said that it looked like I had already made the necessary changes, so not sure if it would have worked, but doesn't hurt to send them an email as a backup.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Go to the lav and use voip?...
That's what EarPods are for! Just start talking to yourself.
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Pretty sure voip is blocked on UA flights. ...
VPN?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Collierkr
Pretty sure voip is blocked on UA flights. And the Wi-Fi isn’t good enough quality most of the time anyhow.
The blocking is what VPNs are for.

WiFi quality is another issue.
SFHokie likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I’ve never used FB messenger for United, but I have for others including Thai, Silk, Marriott and just recently Lantam. All worked great.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: UA GS
I agree that a chat option that only worked in flight through the app would be great, especially as they could prioritize against all other people simply using social media for complaining. They obviously have a way to tell that you’re in flight on the app since the entertainment screens only appear when you are.
belfordrocks likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chavala
I’ve never used FB messenger for United, but I have for others including Thai, Silk, Marriott and just recently Lantam. All worked great.
I've never used FB messenger for anything, and I'm certainly not going to open a FB account to talk to United agents.
higher_flyer likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I've never used FB messenger for anything, and I'm certainly not going to open a FB account to talk to United agents.
If the option is available to solve a problem, I'd personally be open to it. I haven't used Facebook yet for contacting United, but will probably do so in the future.

To each his own, but if I'm seated next to you and get the last seat on the last flight out via Facebook, I would hope you wouldn't be bitter on your overnight stay
chavala likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I work in the contact center space and it baffles me to no end why airlines don't adopt multi-channel contact methods like chat. With near universal WiFi, chat access to reservations should be a no-brainer.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: United GS, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by villox
I agree that a chat option that only worked in flight through the app would be great, especially as they could prioritize against all other people simply using social media for complaining. They obviously have a way to tell that you’re in flight on the app since the entertainment screens only appear when you are.
Yeah, I have to agree -- that would be a great feature. It is a pretty heavy lift with respect to IT and infrastructure, but it would address a real need. I'm going to let 1K Voice know; it certainly couldn't hurt for UA to receive the request from anyone that thinks it's a good idea.

Durring IRROPS I've used Hertz' online chat over inflight wi-fi to make modifications to car reservations, and that was super handy. I've also used Gogo's customer service chat while in flight before to resolve certain problems with the wi-fi.

I guess in the meantime I could pick a trusted someone on the ground to call UA for me and communicate with me by text.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I've always wondered about this. Am I able to call in to change a family member/friend's reservation? Isn't that a security issue? Sometimes my friend/family have been in IRROPS situation waiting for a long time on hold and asked if I could call the 1K line for them but I always assumed that I couldn't do this since its not my PNR and they arent 1K.
I assume a travel agent has direct access into the system to make changes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.