Fishing Gear Carry On Query

Old Jun 14, 19, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Fishing Gear Carry On Query

I am reading United's carry on policy directly from their website:

" The maximum dimensions for a carry-on bag are 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches (22 cm x 35 cm x 56 cm), including handles and wheels. You may carry a violin, guitar or other small musical instrument on board as part of your carry-on baggage allowance as long as the instrument is placed in a hard case and there is space in the overhead bins or under the seat in front of you when you board the aircraft.

I have a question about a bag for valuable and fragile fishing rods. It measures 31.5 x 9.5 x 6, thus 47 total inches. This bag is marketed to fisherman as a carry on item to protect high value gear, but I'm not sure the airline would always agree. It's not a musical instrument. Trying to decide if this will work.

If I get to the airport and agent at bagcheck does not like it, the agent at the gate could still require me to check it right? I am not sure the bag would adequately protect gear if checked.

Thanks
Old Jun 14, 19, 1:48 pm

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
Originally Posted by fastpoint View Post

" The maximum dimensions for a carry-on bag are 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches (22 cm x 35 cm x 56 cm), including handles and wheels. You may carry a violin, guitar or other small musical instrument on board as part of your carry-on baggage allowance as long as the instrument is placed in a hard case and there is space in the overhead bins or under the seat in front of you when you board the aircraft.

I have a question about a bag for valuable and fragile fishing rods. It measures 31.5 x 9.5 x 6, thus 47 total inches. This bag is marketed to fisherman as a carry on item to protect high value gear, but I'm not sure the airline would always agree. It's not a musical instrument. Trying to decide if this will work.

If I get to the airport and agent at bagcheck does not like it, the agent at the gate could still require me to check it right? I am not sure the bag would adequately protect gear if checked.

Thanks
I would ask UA directly and then take a copy of their response with me to the airport. You want something from UA rather than a bunch of us on FT.

You could ask via email (website has a Contact Us area) or social media if that is more your thing.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Jun 14, 19 at 1:56 pm
Old Jun 14, 19, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by fastpoint View Post

Thanks
While agree with Aussienarelle I travel a lot out places like CO, UT, and MT and see people having to check this item all the time. But as always YMMV.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jun 14, 19, 2:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
UA does not address fishing equipment as carry-on (and I doubt comparisons to musical instrument will have traction)
A better comparison is a poster tube
It will have to go in the OHB and sharing the space with other OHB items
but as a checked bag
United accepts one item of fishing equipment per customer as checked baggage. An item of fishing equipment consists of the following:
  • Two rods
  • One reel
  • One landing net
  • One pair of fishing boots
  • One tackle box
All items must be properly encased in a suitable container not to exceed a total of 115 linear inches (L + W + H) and 50 pounds (23 kg).
Fishing equipment greater than 80 inches in length will not be accepted as checked baggage on any itinerary involving a United Express flight.
First or second checked bag service charges may apply. The item(s) will be subject to standard oversize and overweight service charges.
Fishing equipment carried in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the current excess baggage charge for a single piece, whether or not it is presented as a single piece.
United is not liable for damage to fishing equipment.

nomad420 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 14, 19 at 2:23 pm Reason: formatting
Old Jun 14, 19, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
You don't ask.... But on a side note, all the above rules could easily be thrown out out the window if it is a Basic Economy ticket. SO YMMV
Old Jun 14, 19, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
I would ask UA directly and then take a copy of their response with me to the airport...
I'm not sure why you think the response would be anything other than what they look up and see. I would expect to see random rules and/or leniency from GA or FA, but a written response from a UA phone representative probably is more likely to reflect the available rules.

To the OP - rolling the dice, you can attempt to carry it on, but a fishing rod is not listed and you can expect the rules to be the rules if a GA or FA pushes back. There is some consolation that if it is gate-checked, it will probably be somewhat separated from the heavier bags that were checked at the counter. Remember not to put a filet knife in the case if you decide to test carrying it on..
Old Jun 14, 19, 2:27 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
The issue is also whether the plane you are on has overhead bins that allow something that is 4 feet long to be placed into them. While this should not be a problem with mainline narrowbodies, I would guess that this won't fit into a E145 or CR2. And the bins for the widebodies that lower down from the ceiling may also not accept things that are 4 feet long. Check and check again before you assume that you can carry this case on.
Old Jun 14, 19, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
I would think they would reject a tackle box as carry on anyhow. A bunch of sharp pointy stuff. This comes from the worlds worse fisherman, however, not from a lack of effort however.