Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Help with Engagement Proposal at gate on arrival (FLL)

Help with Engagement Proposal at gate on arrival (FLL)

Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:18 am

It's a lovely idea, but one best left for a RomCom.
SteveHK, nancypants and Icydubloon like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:39 am

If you want this to work, the plane is going to have to be full of actors. It's a nice idea that will fail in execution.
SteveHK likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
If an airport is important, consider the beautiful landside terminal at Dulles (IAD) or the TWA Hotel (JFK) or near the Theme Building (LAX). Too bad the observation deck in the control tower in Boston is no longer open to the public.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
If you actually want to move forward with this, maybe reach out to UA on social media. They might be able to get a few people from corporate to help out with the logistics, rather than just relying on a few airport agents.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:48 am

Hokey
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by LesPaul30
She will be on flight 711 from EWR which comes in at 23:28.
Anyone having just experienced EWR will likely have divorce on their mind, not marriage!
BearX220, m.y, porciuscato and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot LT Titanium/Hertz PC/UA 1MM 1K
Lol well it was just one idea of a few that I have. Certainly one of the more crazier ones that involve other people. But I get your message and will move on to some of the other ones that are just between she and I. Thanks for your feedback!
SteveHK, danpeake, chavala and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by LesPaul30
Lol well it was just one idea of a few that I have. Certainly one of the more crazier ones that involve other people. But I get your message and will move on to some of the other ones that are just between she and I. Thanks for your feedback!
While I think this is the best solution, you should save a paper copy of this FT thread. After your (successful) proposal is completed, give the copy to your fiance to read. I am sure she will be touched by your planning efforts, and you can have laughs together as you get her reaction to whether this plan would have been successful, would have been appealing to her, or icky. Just a moment and a story that you will always remember together.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Do what I did. Pop the question up in the air. I've arranged with the crew week before, they brought for me bottle of champagne on the plane. As you know, you can't bring any liquids over 100ml past security.
I've proposed, captain announced over PA system what just happened, people cheered, got champagne. When we landed, the whole crew took us outside to take pictures in front of the airplane (and I was lucky that it was in special colors), then when waiting to collect my wife's bag, everyone from our flight was congratulating us.
Happy times
PTahCha, seanp7, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
I like the idea of catching an earlier flight to FLL and being at the gate when she comes off her plane with roses and a ring. The suggestion about finding a way to bve on her EWR-FLL flight is pretty good as well. Personally, I think that your original idea was fantastic, but agree that it would be very hard to execute. A variation that you could consider would be to get just the flight crew to take roses to her while you wait in the jet bridge to come out as the last person off the plane. Much smaller, but still in line with your thinking.
PTahCha, dinoscool3, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by tods27
I like the idea of catching an earlier flight to FLL and being at the gate when she comes off her plane with roses and a ring. The suggestion about finding a way to bve on her EWR-FLL flight is pretty good as well. Personally, I think that your original idea was fantastic, but agree that it would be very hard to execute. A variation that you could consider would be to get just the flight crew to take roses to her while you wait in the jet bridge to come out as the last person off the plane. Much smaller, but still in line with your thinking.
I agree, its a great idea, but just needs to be brought down in scope a bit. Including all the passengers on a flight is a bit much, but doing one of these other ideas would work great!
wrp96, catawba and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I think a single red rose would be just as effective and possibly more meaningful.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:47 am

Would you also have to hand out enlarged photos of your gf to the entire plane, so they know who they're looking for when handing out the rose?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Yea...don't do this. It's a terrible idea.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
How about trying to arrange something in the UC?
Decorate a conference room with flowers and such.

Have her meet you in the lounge, walk over to the conference room, surprise

Sounds like something far easier to arrange.
You could do this on an OUTGOING trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.