Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Help with Engagement Proposal at gate on arrival (FLL)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot LT Titanium/Hertz PC/UA 1MM 1K

OK FT'er's! I'd like to get your input on a proposal idea I am working on.

I've seen this done before as a kid and always remembered it.. I have also seen variants of this on youtube as well. But let me know thoughts and if have any advice/tips on this.

I am a GS with United and have given my companion status to my GF of a few years. I have an idea to surprise her with a marriage proposal at the gate in FLL. The trick here is that she knows a proposal is coming in general over the next few months but wouldn't figure this and I need to figure out how to spring it on her where she wont see it coming. What I have in mind is that I would be flying in from IAH to FLL on flight 2100 in a few weeks which arrives at 23:42. She will be on flight 711 from EWR which comes in at 23:28. The idea here is that the GS agents in IAH have helped me load 150~ roses/flowers on the plane. She will have to meet me at the gate for whatever reason I can come up with (Help with a bag.. gift for family in FLL, etc.. not sure yet) after she gets off her flight. Typically she would be maybe a gate away or two at FLL. I would have pre-arranged the flight attendants to ask passengers on my flight to deplane with one rose/flower each and give this to her as they get off the plane and go on their way. I will deplane last, she'd have a ridiculous amount of flowers, likely some sort of crowd waiting around, and I will ask then as I come off with the ring.
These tickets are not booked yet. So its not set in stone but wanted to get your thoughts.

Now, there are a few thoughts/issues here.

*First off, 12 mins on both scheduled arrival times is VERY tight between her flight and mine. If she's delayed out of EWR its all off. I will be flying West to East which will also cut some time off vs her North to South. Thoughts there? (Anyone want to convince the pilot to do a 'go around' on final on my flight? J/K... )

*How to get her to come to the gate once she gets off her flight at FLL.. She'd usually find a bench of something and wait for me, possibly even past security as shes done before. So I'd need a reason for her to be there and not something fairly benign that would throw her off.

*Getting the flowers on the plane: I have already called the GS desk, who called the GS desk in IAH who checked with TSA there. They (TSA) have no issues loading that many flowers on as long as it can go thru the X-Ray. It's not like shes going to hold on to these post-FLL. GS can likely help with loading these on to the plane somewhere where its out of the way.

*Roses might not be a great idea since they have thorns on the stems. Dont want her holding 150 thorns.

*Some may question if I am inconveniencing other passengers. I don't think so. I'd only ask them to take a single flower as they get off, hand it to her off the jet-way and go on their way. If they don't want to take part, they don't have to and it wouldn't matter. Some will likely have no issues with this and will likely even stick around to see what she says.

*I'd even consider a small picture of her on the first few stems so the folks can easily identify her as they get off.

Let me know your thoughts.. all ideas welcome!
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
On getting your future fiance and wife to the gate - long shot, but you could try to see if a UA agent at the gate can hit the PA and call for her to go to your gate to pick up something she dropped?

OR - you get to her gate instead of the other way around?

Don't know about the flowers though, that's...just a lot.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
In terms of IRROPS timing, you should have a pretty good idea whether it will work once both flights are wheels-up since flight timing and pathing tends to be well-defined. Yes, at a 12 minute difference in block time it will still be chancy. But that way you don't hand out flowers to everyone on the plane if you know you're going to get in first. I'm sure you could get the crew to call for volunteers onboard to help you, and get plenty of them. Clever idea!
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
This is cute and I do like it; however, as someone who accepted a proposal from my husband in public, I could imagine after rose four she'd figure it out and be ready for you to show up. My then boyfriend was very insistent that we get to a certain place on the mountains of Verbier at a certain time (he has prior to and since never planned a thing) - once we got there it was clear what was happening since some of our travel partners who weren't even skiing were on the mountain. It was amazing, but I didn't have to wait for 150 random people to give me something.

Just a thought - do you want this to be a sweet moment about your engagement or a fun story about someone receiving a crap ton of roses from strangers and then also getting engaged?

​​​​​
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Very sweet idea. But I really don’t like the concept of public proposals in general. I think they should be private moments where the emotions can flow in an unguarded way.

If you do go ahead with this, make 1000% sure that the answer will be “yes.”
BearX220, Xyzzy, Miggles and 11 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

This is great feedback folks- thanks! Certainly appreciate it and will consider these.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Sounds like massive overkill. All for something that, by chance, can go wrong (i.e. one of the flights is delayed).

I also think convincing FAs to do all that extra work...good luck. Finding a space for flowers, announcing it, handing them out...it's just not in their job description. Unless you were personally friends that that particular crew or at least 1 person on the crew, I think it's very imposing of you to expect them to do all of that.

Same with the GS agents and other passengers. I would find it to be super imposing to make such a request of others, and can't believe GS even entertained your original idea/call.

Imagine the slowdown as passengers are either handed flowers on the way out, or prior to getting their luggage. Flowers can leave a mess on the plane, on the jetbridge, etc. Plus, what if someone's allergic?

I think you should find a different idea for this proposal that doesn't involve a plane full of strangers.
SteveHK, chavala, ajGoes and 6 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You want to ask a hundred total strangers from Newark of all places to help you with this plan? At best, many of them will steal the flowers or leave them onboard with total disinterest, and worse, possibly trample your poor fiance as they trip over each other fighting to get to baggage claim. I second the suggestion for a more intimate location and experience - airports are places to get away from, not be associated with one of life's most precious memories.
BearX220, Miggles, seanp7 and 16 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Beyond everything already said, consider that a few pax may be annoyed that there wasn’t room for their carry on due to the space taken up by boxes of roses for your proposal. Will someone’s choice words about you to your GF change her mind about saying yes? Or at least ruin the moment?

nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
A really romantic idea! However, there are too many factors that's beyond your control. For instance, what happens when her flight is delayed and yours was on time? She will not be there waiting for you at the gate, and you're stuck with 150 flowers. Plus asking 150 strangers to do something, especially arriving that late, is not the best idea.

Will you be flying back together, or at least able to go to United Club together? You can probably ask the GS agents at FLL to coordinate something (like balloons or signs), especially they already have champagne at the UC, or coordinate with the in-flight crew. If you really want to make it United-themed, the ring can be delivered on top of a stroopwafel.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bocastephen
You want to ask a hundred total strangers from Newark of all places to help you with this plan? At best, many of them will steal the flowers or leave them onboard with total disinterest, and worse, possibly trample your poor fiance as they trip over each other fighting to get to baggage claim.
I believe OP was talking about having strangers from his ex-IAH flight to help out with the rose delivery. His GF will be on the ex-EWR flight.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Now my wife will tell you that I am the least romantic person in the world, but if I was getting off a plane at FLL at midnight, my sole thought would be how to get to baggage claim or the rental car counter ASAP. I would likely not be enthralled to play an extra in this performance (assuming that I was clear-headed enough to understand exactly what was going on and what I was expected to do).

To avoid complications, I would be very careful to make sure participation in this was completely voluntary. To the extent that the plan should be to allow all Pax that do not want to participate to deplane first, with the willing volunteers waiting until all of the kill-joys (like me) had exited.
prncess674, SteveHK, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Moderation is key here. I would absolutely help out but not a planeful. Hit up your fellow passengers in firat or the flyers who look fun, smile or pay even ask you why you have a bouquet.

A bouquet is perfect.

I can see why you want to arrange something like the absolutely mindblowing home depot proposal, but thats a certain time and place aspect.

12 is a great number. Enough to trust secrecy and not too many as to become onerous.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
A bold move , not sure I would put a highly co ordinated marriage proposal in the hands of UA though ..........just sayin
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again for all your responses..

Here what my thoughts are so far. Should this go on, if the flowers are on boarded at IAH, I will not have people take these while in seats. Only to grab one from me (while with the “ba bye” folks) as they deplane. They don’t want to do this, they don’t have to. No inconvenience for them at all. As for storage, I’d have to check with GS and UA on best practice- obviously can’t take overhead space away. I cant
imagine that’d be too much of any inconvenience at
all if done well.
Another option is have them loaded on the jetway at FLL for folks to grab one on their way out... again, should they not want to? Keep walking.. enjoy Lauderdale. For those that do, thanks!
FLL though may be harder to coordinate since there isn’t GS at FLL.
Regarding asking GS about this today, they absolutely loved it. As did the desk at IAH. They never considered at all this was a request they would be annoyed with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.