Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Some advice on United award flights w/Lufthansa EWR-CPT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: co,aa,del,united

I am planning on using United miles for award seats from EWR to CPT in January of 2020 for myself and 2 friends. I have found flights ,standard coach .First flight with a long layover in Frankfurt ,liking that . I will paying fees with my explorer card . Usually I get seats and better boarding with United in addition to free bags for myself and accompanying passenger . I don't expect seating but am hoping for baggage and maybe boarding . Any advice or info. to make the trip better? contacting Lufthansa about seating ? Thank you in advance ..
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Given the time you are flying, why not the direct flight UA is starting December? I say this without knowing the rates; it isn't in the original post - so maybe routing via FRA saves miles. But going direct will certainly save more time...
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by H2O - COWBOY
I don't expect seating but am hoping for baggage and maybe boarding .
Do you have status with United? The Explorer card itself does not confer any benefits with Lufthansa. (It also doesn’t have any seating benefits, which is why I’m asking about status).
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

No status, by seating I meant that I get to chose seats in the class I am flying . Sorry about the lack of info. I did not know that there is a direct flight ,will look into it. I am treating for the seats so want to keep award levels low. 80k round trip coach as of now. Shorter flights are available w/AA miles on BA the same 80k for coach but I'm stacked with UA miles and would prefer burning those . Baggage is comparable on both it appears. Will be flying with surfboards packed with kites . Thx for replies
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Unless you have Star Alliance status (which could be through United), you won't get any benefits on Lufthansa. A United co-branded credit card is worthless.
767-322ETOPS likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No status, by seating I meant that I get to chose seats in the class I am flying . Sorry about the lack of info. I did not know that there is a direct flight ,will look into it. I am treating for the seats so want to keep award levels low. 80k round trip coach as of now. Shorter flights are available w/AA miles on BA the same 80k for coach but I'm stacked with UA miles and would prefer burning those . Baggage is comparable on both it appears. Will be flying with surfboards packed with kites . Thx for replies
The nonstop flight doesn’t operate every day.

You will not get any special privileges from the credit card. No early boarding; you’ll get one bag free at 23kg/50lb as part of the ticket. You can also get a free seat assignment on Lufthansa.com after ticketing; that’s also part of the award ticket.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Thank you . I'm just riff-raff flying on CC miles . Lost status when they changed the programs . As a aside any thoughts as to Lufthansa to BA coach? I checked seat width and pitch both are the same . Might use the miles I have with AA on BA .
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Thank you . I'm just riff-raff flying on CC miles . Lost status when they changed the programs . As a aside any thoughts as to Lufthansa to BA coach? I checked seat width and pitch both are the same . Might use the miles I have with AA on BA .
You'll pay a lot more in taxes flying via LHR.

All this said, I would strongly recommend looking both at the UA nonstop and flying South African Airways (a Star Alliance partner) as avoiding Europe will save you quite a bit of time for the journey.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by noah
You'll pay a lot more in taxes flying via LHR.
Not really. The Air Passenger Duty -- the large tax -- isn't collected for transit passengers (or, if it is collected, it can be refunded).
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Not really. The Air Passenger Duty -- the large tax -- isn't collected for transit passengers (or, if it is collected, it can be refunded).
probably taking about YQ .... not airport taxes.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
probably taking about YQ .... not airport taxes.
Ah, good point. AA charges those on BA awards, right?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Passengers connecting (within 24 hours) are exempt from the U.K. APD. But as noted above, redeeming AA miles on long-haul BA flights would mean paying hefty cash surcharges. However, if the OP were able to find award space for JFK-DOH-CPT on QR, he could redeem his AA miles for that itinerary with no surcharges whatsoever.

Edited to add: QR also flies PHL-DOH.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
You'll have to double-check, but if you redeem AA miles for Coach on QR, I'm pretty sure that each passenger gets two free checked bags, one of which can be a surfboard if it meets QR's size limits. So that could mean a less costly trip overall than what you would get with either LH or BA.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Ah, good point. AA charges those on BA awards, right?
It's about $600 YQ for an economy award flight to South Africa on BA, given that you can buy offpeak flights in January for ~$1000 that's a pretty miserable return on the miles.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all ,gives me a lot to check out. I am thinking it is a poor return for the mileage redemption,but my friends can't swing the trip cost . I have the miles ,they lose value, and I don't want to just horde them . The experience with my friends is more important to me than banking them . In addition I do have more to spare and adding daily . QR vs BA vs Lufthansa . I have only flown LUF 1st with miles for a RTW trip ,coach product ? QR coach ? I'm trying to book asap to avoid issues . Thx again you all have given a lot to think about , luggage being important .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.