Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA SFO-MUC, long layover + checked bag, to non-*A connection, lounges or go to city?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA SFO-MUC, long layover + checked bag, to non-*A connection, lounges or go to city?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat Elite

Hello all -- the Mrs. and I are flying SFO-MUC in PZ (confirmed) with a checked bag connecting to a KM flight (to Malta, from MUC T2) about 8 hours later. I'm wondering a few things:

* Is there an arrivals lounge in MUC for UA pax in biz? Guessing our checked bag would sit at baggage claim?
* It doesn't look like Priority Pass members have access to a T2 lounge at MUC, is that correct?
* We're both *A Gold (1K and Plat) and have PP...is that going to help us at all, either with a lounge or otherwise?
* I'm assuming I can't check my bags through to MLA in SFO, right?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m0nk3y
I'm assuming I can't check my bags through to MLA in SFO, right?
One ticket? Or separate tickets?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
* Is there an arrivals lounge in MUC for UA pax in biz? Guessing our checked bag would sit at baggage claim?
* It doesn't look like Priority Pass members have access to a T2 lounge at MUC, is that correct?
* We're both *A Gold (1K and Plat) and have PP...is that going to help us at all, either with a lounge or otherwise?
* I'm assuming I can't check my bags through to MLA in SFO, right?...
No arrivals lounge
Correct
No, not in MUC waiting on ST flight.
Probably not, unless one ticket.

Admittance to lounges in Munich is based on your departing (from MUC) flight. No arrivals privileges.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 11, 2019 at 10:45 am
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan

One ticket? Or separate tickets?
Separate tickets

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
No arrivals lounge
Correct
No, not in MUC waiting on ST flight.
Probably not, unless one ticket.

Admittance to lounges in Munich is based on your departing (from MUC) flight. No arrivals privileges.
Thanks. Worst of all four worlds, as I feared
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Hello all -- the Mrs. and I are flying SFO-MUC in PZ (confirmed) with a checked bag connecting to a KM flight (to Malta, from MUC T2) about 8 hours later. I'm wondering a few things:

* I'm assuming I can't check my bags through to MLA in SFO, right?

Thanks in advance!
1. No since KM is not Star Alliance. Lounge access in MUC is departures not arrivals.
2 and 3. I have PP but have not used it at MUC but no reason you cannot access a lounge if PP have a contracted lounge (check the directory) for departure, although there may be a limit on number of hours before a flight but in such circumstances I show my arrival BP and departure BP and never had an issue. YMMV
4. You can ask but policy is between Star Alliance carriers only unless it is all one ticket. If all one ticket then it will be checked through to the final destination but in such circumstances I go to the (KM) transfer desk in the terminal to show them the luggage tags to ensure they have the record of the luggage on their system. If separate tickets you will need to collect the luggage in MUC and check in with KM.

I am assuming the 8 hour layover is all in one day and not an overnight.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...Guessing our checked bag would sit at baggage claim? ...
.... Thanks. Worst of all four worlds, as I feared
You will not be able to leave the bags at baggage claim. You will not have access to bag claim again once exiting.
How long before departure you will be able to re-check bags will be up to KM
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: AA, UA
Thanks in advance!
Nope. There is that one in T1 called Airport World (non-LH terminal). You'll need to take the bus (and a bus depending on your gate in T2), but its worth it. I was there for last month on a 6-hour layover. Good food, shower and upstairs is fairly empty.

Going from T2 to T1 feels like going from TBIT to T2 in LAX, but once you get into the lounge its very good.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Much appreciated everyone. Based on the responses I'm thinking our best bet is to collect our bags, drop them with left luggage, grab a shower downstairs, and then hang out in Munich for 4-5 hours.
onthesam likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
I always see shower signs when I come back through MUC, but have never used them.. I'm guessing it is these..
https://www.munich-airport.com/shower-787635

Similarly, left luggage, if you can't check your bags:
https://www.munich-airport.com/left-luggage-851650

My suggestion would be to grab a shower, leave the bags, and take the S-Bahn into the city. Very well signed, easy to do (instructions in English on the machines), S-8 or S-1 would both work, though S-8 slightly shorter and runs every 20 minutes. 24 or 25 Euro give or take will get you a day ticket for both of you (group day ticket). Head to Marienplatz (45 minute mostly scenic ride on the train), get some lunch, walk around, grab a beer in the bier garten in the Viktualmarket.. all very compact area. If you feel a little more energetic, jump off the S-Bahn at Isartor, and take the tram up to the bottom end of the English garden (5 minute ride), watch the surfers, grab a coffee in Frau whatshernames little cafe and relax there.

8 hours sitting in MUC would be a crime given how easy it is to get to the city.

If you're flush, Uber and cabs are also available, but I find expensive at around 70 euros plus, depending on traffic.

As mentioned upthread T1 is yuck, and the AF lounge there is somewhat prisonlike, albeit it with decent wine :-)

Can also confirm no access to the LH lounges on arrival. I tried and failed.

Failing all of that, between T2 and T1 is an open air plaza which has a model old plane serving beer and curry wurst, so if its a nice day its ok to sit out at. Currently construction work will be going on around you, but not sure when you are going through. Also, T2 has nice restaurants and bars and is generally one of the more pleasant airports to pass through IMO.

Oh, there are also "napcabs" scattered around T2 - not sure of the price, but that could be an option if you need a nap...
m0nk3y likes this.

Last edited by LimeyFlyer; Jun 11, 2019 at 11:33 am Reason: additional info.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
S1 or S8 take you in 45min to Marienplatz. Next to the cathedral you’ll find a great Bavarian wirtshaus (or restaurant) which is a great deal with less tourists called ‘Der Klosterwirt’ - they have English menus as well. 5min walk from Marienplatz station (train tickets for 2 return approx 14EUR)

Forget the T1 lounge if staying at the airport - visit ‘Airbraeu’ with its own large beer garden between T2 and T1 (not to miss). They brew their own beer and you’ll get 0,5l for €2,80 - and they do great food as well! Looks also very traditionally Bavarian inside.

We don’t have Uber - as others said, taxi would be around 70.

(I am Bavarian so have a bit of a clue re/ Munich/ Bier/ Wirtshaus
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Uber is here in Munich... I live here and use it! Currently from Marienplatz to the airport the fare is 58.04 in Uber X.

DB:
Single ticket MUC - city center 11.60 each way, per person

Single day ticket for MUC - city center, including use of all zones in between 13.00, per person

Group day ticket for MUC - city center, including use of all zones in between 24.30, for up to 5 people
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:44 am

Yes, go for the city, that is the best way to kill the time.

If you are not up to it, however, it must be said that T2 at MUC is one of the nicest terminals around and if you go landside, there is also the plaza mentioned.

An alternative to the train is the Lufthansa Airport Coach: https://www.airportbus-muenchen.de/en/ It goes to the central railway station and is 17 EUR return.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
Uber is here in Munich... I live here and use it! Currently from Marienplatz to the airport the fare is 58.04 in Uber X.

DB:
Single ticket MUC - city center 11.60 each way, per person

Single day ticket for MUC - city center, including use of all zones in between 13.00, per person

Group day ticket for MUC - city center, including use of all zones in between 24.30, for up to 5 people
Ah yes true - I should have been more precise. I am not using Uber in Germany given that they need to act as a 'Limousine service' and hence the pricing is by far not as aggressive as in London or in the States, so I mostly use the myTaxi ordering a standard taxi.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Much appreciated everyone. Based on the responses I'm thinking our best bet is to collect our bags, drop them with left luggage, grab a shower downstairs, and then hang out in Munich for 4-5 hours.
Excellent plan. There is so much to see and do in Munich that the time will fly. The S-Bahn train into the city is super-easy. I highly recommend the Residence Museum (1300 years of Wittelsbach treasure!) and the Dallmayr market & cafe (coffee & deli heaven!).

* Residence Museum: https://www.residenz-muenchen.de/eng...seum/index.htm
* Dallmayr: https://www.dallmayr.com/deen/
* A guide to coffeehouses in Munich: https://sprudge.com/the-coffee-guide...ch-113532.html

#DeeplyEnviousOfYourDayInMunich
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Surprised no one has mention Deutsches Museum
The Deutsches Museum in Munich, Germany, is the world's largest museum of science and technology,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.