Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is a good and exceptional rate to buy UA miles?

What is a good and exceptional rate to buy UA miles?

Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: CX MPC GO; Golden Circle nobody!
I'm doing a leap from oneworld to United because there is just no good option. I have a newbie really nooob question so please no flaming please!

How long does it take for United to credit the miles you've purchased from their shop?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nsolitude
I'm doing a leap from oneworld to United because there is just no good option. I have a newbie really nooob question so please no flaming please!

How long does it take for United to credit the miles you've purchased from their shop?
There a couple of ways to purchase miles
Personal Miles -- can take 48 hours and is relatively expensive ( 3.5 cpm) but frequently sales / discounts bring the price to 2 to 2.5 cpm
Award Accelerator -- post nearly immediate (hours), a bit more complex to use but regularly in the 2 to 2.5 cpm range
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note, in case of confusion and you are interested in status, that redeemable miles and qualifying miles are different. Award accelerator or special offers are the only way to buy qualifying miles (Buying PQMs, PQSs, and PQDs on mystatus.United.com / email). And if you are interested in status, you may be able to status-match (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ssion-etc.html).
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:19 pm

Hi, I am actually just trying to purchase miles so I can just redeem an emergency ticket because there is no good oneworld option out of LAX. I've tried to move my Marriott points to United but they are taking forever. So then I have gone ahead and bought the miles from the UA Miles shop (with bonus miles) thinking that they will be credited instantaneously. Turns out they do not. I have been trying to ask them to expedite the miles transfer but they cannot. So feeling a bit lost.

Very grateful for WinteCountryUA and fumje for your answers. I am not at that point yet but I might be soon!!!

Last edited by nsolitude; Aug 20, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi, I am actually just trying to purchase miles so I can just redeem an emergency ticket because there is no good oneworld option out of LAX. I've tried to move my Marriott points to United but they are taking forever. So then I have gone ahead and bought the miles from the UA Miles shop (with bonus miles) thinking that they will be credited instantaneously. Turns out they do not. I have been trying to ask them to expedite the miles transfer but they cannot. So feeling a bit lost.

Very grateful for WinteCountryUA and fumje for your answers. I am not at that point yet but I might be soon!!!
Chase Ultimate Rewards points, if you happen to have them, transfer instantly. Marriott Rewards points take ~48 hours.

If you only need a small number of miles to complete your purchase, it will offer to sell them to you during checkout; those should post immediately. I think it'll sell you up to 15K at that point; it might be more.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Chase Ultimate Rewards points, if you happen to have them, transfer instantly. Marriott Rewards points take ~48 hours.

If you only need a small number of miles to complete your purchase, it will offer to sell them to you during checkout; those should post immediately. I think it'll sell you up to 15K at that point; it might be more.
Thank you! Usually Chase gives me a hard time whenever it comes to transfer (always demanding that I call) but just now it worked! I am going to be on my way!
jsloan, ajGoes and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Could OP do a fare-lock with award prices?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Could OP do a fare-lock with award prices?
Yes
Is FareLock available for award reservations using miles?
Yes. FareLock is offered for both Saver and Standard Award tickets on United- and United Express-operated flights.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Pending when the flight is, if saver space is available, and how full the plane is, OP may want to consider using Farelock to protect himself for a few days until the miles post to his account.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
I have to say, this buy-up offer was better pricing overall than that which was originally offered to me. Still dont need to take advantage of it since I will make 1k by EOY.

Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:37 am

Award accelerator in my experience as a GM has always been 2cpm (which incidentally is the maximum I would pay for UA miles, and only in specific uses)
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:04 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Time for a UA miles sale?

i understand the principle: airline miles lose value over time. I understand the rule: dont purchase miles unless you intend to use them right away. I understand the risks: devaluation, and decreased redemption options. I understand the best way to purchase miles: award accelerator using a United Airlines branded credit card can get your price under 2 cents per mile.

All that said: is it time for United to consider putting on a down and dirty mileage sale? The buymiles site is still at 3.5 cents, and even their occasional 85% bonus is still not compelling enough to buy and hold.

At what price would you balance the risks, and bite on a miles purchase that was not for an immediate redemption? Sometimes I think close to 1 cpm might move me, but then I sober up. 😀

SL
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:14 am
Suspended

$0.00
Miles are worthless if UA goes bankrupt.
eric.chen3742 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Kind of doubt that the solution is to generate a bunch of cheap tickets by selling miles for nothing.

The 2008 mistake of dropping fares to fill planes isn't being repeated this time.

UA will cut capacity.
drewguy likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Airlines would rather sell miles to their bank credit card partners than us.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.