Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Makes Connecting the World Easier Than Ever with ConnectionSaver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines Makes Connecting the World Easier Than Ever with ConnectionSaver

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
According to one of United’s YouTube videos it is.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
According to one of United’s YouTube videos it is.
Excellent. If YouTube says it, then it must be true
Old Dec 23, 2019, 4:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
I have no more of an idea what the criteria are for the tool than your average FTer... But I've noticed a hold for pax much more often since this has been rolled out than before.

Conversely, I've noticed crews are much less willing to make the decision themselves to wait for passengers ("if the tool says not to wait...")
Old Dec 23, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by fezzington
Conversely, I've noticed crews are much less willing to make the decision themselves to wait for passengers ("if the tool says not to wait...")
Interesting.
Also surprising [to me]: crews could make the decision to hold and wait for passengers with UNITED? THAT actually happened???
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a connection on Saturday that was scheduled as 30 minutes at DEN, from a regional jet in the B80 range to a mainline flight in the mid B20 range somewhere, on the last flight of the day. We arrived very early, but then stalled waiting for a gate until about six minutes after our scheduled arrival. I was able to get off the plane early — one of the few times I’ve moved up past people who weren’t ready — and didn’t have a green-tagged bag, so I knew I was going to make it with brisk walking. After a couple of minutes, I got a text that my connection was being protected: it was something like “Breathe easy, we’re holding your flight for a couple of extra minutes, but please proceed to the gate for the convenience of your fellow passengers.

I didn’t need the extra time, and we ended up pushing back two minutes early, but I was the last person on the flight besides one stand-by, so they were definitely waiting for me personally. I certainly appreciated it.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I experienced it once at KORD just before the official announcement, and it definitely saved my connection.
LAX UA 1K likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
I didn’t need the extra time, and we ended up pushing back two minutes early, but I was the last person on the flight besides one stand-by, so they were definitely waiting for me personally. I certainly appreciated it.
Out of interest, did your 2nd flight land early? One of the criteria was supposed to be that it would be more likely to be used on flights where they were scheduled to land early (thus the extra wait wasn't leading to a late arrival).
Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert
Out of interest, did your 2nd flight land early? One of the criteria was supposed to be that it would be more likely to be used on flights where they were scheduled to land early (thus the extra wait wasn't leading to a late arrival).
Yes. I wondered the same thing when I was sitting on the E145 waiting for the gate to open. Prior to departure, it was estimated to arrive 8 minutes early, and we ended up arriving 16 minutes early.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 1:05 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
United Changed Gate/Terminal Plus ConnectionSaver For Connecting Passengers

On 12/31/2019, UA 1117 from IAH to LAX was delayed due to maintenance issues. This delayed the flight departure by 1.5+ hours. Onboard, there were about 3 or more people connecting to Sacramento in LA. One of these passengers was sitting behind me in seat 2B.

Gate agent came aboard to re accommodate 2B and others but due to only a limited number of flights, to Sacramento plus since the next day was New Years day, the morning flight to Sacramento wasn't operating. Lets just say, I overheard 2B's phone call with someone and it didn't include glowing reviews of United (or American).

Fast forward to mid-flight and the captain comes on the intercom and announces our new estimated arrival time with the more direct routing he was able to get AND he also announced that our arrival gate and terminal, which was originally scheduled for Terminal 7 would be changed to Terminal 8, few gates down from the Sacramento flight's gate and that also the Sacramento flight would be held with ConnectionSaver.

Lets just say the mood aboard the plane changed with the announcement including for the people who did not have an connection. Most people's muttering was regarding how they could not believe that any airline would move gate/terminal and delay a flight for passengers.

Upon arrival, 2B was in a euphoric mood as he personally thanked the Captain and Co-Pilot while waiting for the aircraft door to open and then dashed out the plane to catching the Sacramento flight which was 3 gates down from where we parked.

ConnectionSaver started last year, but is the gate / terminal shuffling part of ConnectionSaver or is it something done on a case by case basis?
Old Jan 2, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Wow, I'm impressed with this customer service. Too bad a lot of my trips involve UX flights and I don't think ConnectionSaver has trickled down.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by CIT85
Wow, I'm impressed with this customer service. Too bad a lot of my trips involve UX flights and I don't think ConnectionSaver has trickled down.
The Sacramento flight was UX flight.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seat38a
Lets just say the mood aboard the plane changed with the announcement including for the people who did not have an connection. Most people's muttering was regarding how they could not believe that any airline would move gate/terminal and delay a flight for passengers.
I weep for humanity.
Kmxu likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 2:32 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I was delayed SLC-ORD, with connection to DCA 2 weeks ago.
I was first off at ORD, and asked the GA about my flight. She immediately started re-booking me. I asked about connection saver and she just rolled her eyes...
But she was very proactive, got me a travel credit voucher and extra meal voucher. She even recommended a place by my new gate (which was closed for a private party that day. I had never run into an airport restaurant closed for a private party!).
I give her a big thumbs up^. CS perhaps not ready for prime time....
Old Jan 2, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I don't know if the Connection Saver software includes gate changes.

What I do know is that each hub has a single person whose only job is to manage gate allocation. I'm sure that one of the many things they consider is tight connections. I'm not sure how often all their other constraints allow for an arrival gate to be swapped to a closer gate for tight connections.
jsloan and seat38a like this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
We don't know that the gate was swapped to accommodate the connection. All we know is that it happened and that the Captain surmised the reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.