Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Makes Connecting the World Easier Than Ever with ConnectionSaver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines Makes Connecting the World Easier Than Ever with ConnectionSaver

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is much more sophisticated than some think. UA Ops. may be able to prioritize a departure or find a better routing to shave some time off and still arrive ontime. Won't always be possible but a departure delay does not equate to a similar arrival delay and it is arrival that matters.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Flew LAS-ORD-SYR last night / this morning. LAS-ORD was delayed more than an hour. Made it from C27 to F10 in <10 minutes, but the door was just closed - plane departed about 2 minutes early. I know it's a complex decision, but a little disappointing I didn't make it.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
All Kudos to UA Technology Officer, Linda Jojo

Originally Posted by wxguy
United's ConnectionSaver technology automatically scans flights for customers who are making tight connections to determine if the connecting flight can be held without inconveniencing other customers. The ConnectionSaver tool takes into account factors such as the time it will take for late connecting customers to travel gate-to-gate as well as the impact the hold may have on other flights and customers.

"Through improved technology and our dedication to running a reliable operation, customers with tight connections are making their flights. With summer travel picking up, as many as 150,000 customers will make connections on United flights every day and our goal is to provide our employees and these customers with the most up-to-date information to make connecting as stress-free as possible," said Toby Enqvist, chief customer officer at United.
[QUOTE=rj_flyer;31357092]

This is a groundbreaking change to airport operations, implemented by leveraging all the information at their fingertips for benefit of the PASSENGERS first.

Four years ago, the UA implementation online and with their app was a technological joke. Partially trying to build two systems together (UA and CO) and partially because UA just didn't have a clue what customers needed.

All the credit goes to Linda Jojo, who UA brought in from Rogers Cable where she was CIO. This despite this press release with Toby Enqvist taking the bow.

After struggling early on trying to bandaid the existing systems, she implemented a rebuild of both the online web access as well as the UA app. I heard there was a lot of internal pushback who predicted "doom and gloom".

That has proven to be not the case. The rollout of the new app was mostly trouble-free, as has been the web access change. These were far more than graphics changes. These required a whole underlying rethink of the processes involved.

And now we're seeing features that can be enabled by mastery of the data and knowing WHAT THE PASSENGER WANTS BEFORE THEY KNOW IT.

The first groundbreaking change is "ConnectionSaver". Those that are very FF's know full well there are flights that can easily see a departure delay - long turnaround times (including overnights), favorable winds, and other reasons. Gate agents were always straitjacketed to the rules. The source of many many online videos with passengers screaming to get on a flight that's been closed. With "mastery of the data", United has developed a tool that fixes this long-standing problem.

Now we see the IRROPS process being automated as well.

UA is clearly the technological leader in passenger-facing benefits.

(Not a UA employee, just a 34+ year flyer on United Airlines).

Last edited by jimmc66; Jul 31, 2019 at 2:15 pm Reason: meh
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:08 pm

UA using new software to determine how long to hold flights for missed connections

From The Seattle Times:

United Airlines’ new technology aims to cut down on missed connections
United’s new software program, dubbed ConnectionSaver, looks at data from airline schedules, passenger itineraries, staff work schedules and other sources to automatically decide if a flight can be delayed and for precisely how long to reduce as many missed connections as possible without creating more headaches for other fliers.
Full article: https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...d-connections/

(I searched and couldn't find any thread about this new software in particular - but please merge with another thread if more appropriate.)

Seems like a task perfectly suited for a computer.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 4, 2019 at 2:40 pm Reason: moved to existing thread
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
This didn't help me a few weeks ago. Inbound flight was delayed by 75 minutes and I arrived at my connecting gate 3 minutes after scheduled departure. The plane had already pushed back and I was SOL. It was the last flight of the night, so apparently UA's algorithm thought it was better to continue my streak of late/canceled flights and pay for my hotel and meal at ORD.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
This didn't help me a few weeks ago. Inbound flight was delayed by 75 minutes and I arrived at my connecting gate 3 minutes after scheduled departure. The plane had already pushed back and I was SOL. It was the last flight of the night, so apparently UA's algorithm thought it was better to continue my streak of late/canceled flights and pay for my hotel and meal at ORD.
Did you sprint to the gate? I think the algorithm uses some generous transfer times such that it probably predicted you'd arrive much later than that.

The objective is to be in a position to close 10 minutes before departure, with boarding complete at T-15. If you read some of the articles about the software, it seems more geared to keeping the door open inside of the T-10 window in the event of late connectors. A later-than-D:0 departure starts to introduce downline complications (turn time, crew legality, takeoff position, ramp congestion, among others) that the ConnectionSaver algorithm will actually consider, but in such cases will probably be less likely to recommend a hold.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by EWR764
Did you sprint to the gate? I think the algorithm uses some generous transfer times such that it probably predicted you'd arrive much later than that.
I did walk quickly and probably arrived 5-10 minutes earlier than someone who would have walked slowly.

Originally Posted by EWR764
A later-than-D:0 departure starts to introduce downline complications (turn time, crew legality, takeoff position, ramp congestion, among others) that the ConnectionSaver algorithm will actually consider, but in such cases will probably be less likely to recommend a hold.
All good points. Considering it was around 9pm, I don't think turn time, takeoff position, or ramp congestion would have played factors, but crew legality certainly could have. I'll hope for better luck next time.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I did walk quickly and probably arrived 5-10 minutes earlier than someone who would have walked slowly.

All good points. Considering it was around 9pm, I don't think turn time, takeoff position, or ramp congestion would have played factors, but crew legality certainly could have. I'll hope for better luck next time.
depending on the airport, takeoff position could certainly be a consideration, even at that hour. I’ve had 1-2 hour waits before on a ~9pm flight out of EWR before - don’t think that’s typical, but it does happen. I’ve also had decent waits at ORD at that time as well - not as long as the situation at EWR, but I’ve definitely had 20+ minute waits before.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
This new algorithm certainly didn't work for my wife last night. She was on the last itinerary out last night (AUS-IAH-MFE). The first leg was on an aircraft coming into AUS from EWR. It was delayed due to "route planning" by the airline. She thus arrived IAH late with only 25 min to get from terminal E to B. Arrived to her connecting gate 10 min prior to departure but the boarding door had closed and the flight actually departed the gate 2 minutes early. She is now in a hotel at our expense. The customer service agent said it was "weather related," though there was no mention of weather in EWR, nor in AUS or IAH, nor any mention of weather issues on the United app. She is Premier Gold. I expected they might offer a hotel voucher or food voucher but that did not occur. Would anyone have expected anything under these circumstances? She used miles for pay for the itinerary, so claiming travel delay benefits on the United card was not an option
Old Sep 13, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
First time with a relatively short transfer under this new system. One hour, and had to get from F1 to B18 in ORD. Had some delay, awaiting our gate-check bag off of the Devil’s Chariot, then proceeded up the jetway. Saw someone holding an electronic sign with my name on it, and the last time that happened was off a GF flight LHR-SFO, with a GS agent giving me bad news about my connection.

This time, the sign-holder turned out to be a wheelchair pusher, offering a ride to B18. A bit startlingly, as I’ve never requested any form of mobility assistance. Declined the ride and hoofed it through the crowded concourse way faster than a wheelchair pusher could have navigated the busy corridor. Wonder whether this wheelchair offer is part of the new program to assure connections?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by donjo
This new algorithm certainly didn't work for my wife last night.
ConnectionSaver has only been rolled out to ORD so far. I was there on Tuesday and saw a ton of people coming from LATAM with the orange/red ConnectionSaver sleeve catch my flight to YYZ just before doors close.

She was on the last itinerary out last night (AUS-IAH-MFE). The first leg was on an aircraft coming into AUS from EWR. It was delayed due to "route planning" by the airline. She thus arrived IAH late with only 25 min to get from terminal E to B. Arrived to her connecting gate 10 min prior to departure but the boarding door had closed and the flight actually departed the gate 2 minutes early. She is now in a hotel at our expense. The customer service agent said it was "weather related," though there was no mention of weather in EWR, nor in AUS or IAH, nor any mention of weather issues on the United app. She is Premier Gold. I expected they might offer a hotel voucher or food voucher but that did not occur. Would anyone have expected anything under these circumstances? She used miles for pay for the itinerary, so claiming travel delay benefits on the United card was not an option
Technically no she wouldn't be guaranteed a hotel and meal vouchers per Star Alliance policy. Per Star Alliance manual (pg 152) passengers travelling in business, first or Star Gold in any class who are:
on an "intercontinental" journey including "intercontinental connection" to/from domestic services. An "intercontinental connection" is defined as one which does not exceed 24 hours. Intercontinental services are defined as those operating between Europe, Asia, North America (including Central America), South america, Australia & New Zealand and Africa.
are eligible for the following services, regardless of cause:
• Access to phone and/or Wi-Fi and/or other means of communication and/or provide information about communication access;
• Meals and/or refreshments when delay exceeds two hours;
• Hotel accommodation for more than 8h delays if it occurs in overnight period;
• Ground transportation between airport/hotel/airport must be provided upon customer request;
• For those customers who decline airport accommodations, carrier should provide ground transportation options to allow customers to travel to/from their residence if within 80 km from the airport, or provide ground transportation compensation fee.
In practice, airlines will often taken pity on their *Gold passengers and do the right thing and book them a hotel, meal vouchers, etc. This was my experience with AC and UA although I had to be persistent talking to several agents before I got my way. In theory you should be able to write in to United to ask for some compensation, at a minimum I would expect they provide some points as a token of appreciation. You may also want to check the credit card you used to book those flights since many cover hotel bookings, meals and the like when such IRROP events occur.

Hope this provides some guidance.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was delayed due to "route planning" by the airline. She thus arrived IAH late with only 25 min to get from terminal E to B. Arrived to her connecting gate 10 min prior to departure but the boarding door had closed and the flight actually departed the gate 2 minutes early. She is now in a hotel at our expense. The customer service agent said it was "weather related," though there was no mention of weather in EWR, nor in AUS or IAH, nor any mention of weather issues on the United app. She is Premier Gold. I expected they might offer a hotel voucher or food voucher but that did not occur. Would anyone have expected anything under these circumstances? She used miles for pay for the itinerary, so claiming travel delay benefits on the United card was not an option
The actual message is "Your flight departed late because we needed to update your flight plan;" however, that sounds like UA printing the most recent of its myriad delay messages and suppressing the others. Here's what I see in ExpertFlyer:

Comments:
1944/12SEP
P EWR/OUT 459P L01.04 EST OFF 545PCREW PLANNING
P EWR/OFF 543P
P AUS/ON 748P
P AUS/IN 753P L00.59 ☨
D HDQ/EWR AUS PROT UNDER GG CNL MKK

SKED EWR ORIG 355P GTD C86 SHIP 4101
AUS 654P TERM GTA 25
I interpret that as "the crew was delayed," which could certainly be the result of weather. In fact, if you go back one flight further, the EWR-AUS flight was operated by a plane that had just arrived as UA1885 from MSY; scheduled for a 2:33 PM arrival, but actually arrived at 3:50 PM; the reason it gave was "we were waiting for air traffic control to approve our departure." Since the EWR-AUS flight was scheduled for a 3:55 PM departure, that accounts for at least part of the delay.

That said, if your wife was actually at the gate 10 minutes prior to departure, I'm disappointed that they had already closed the door. They don't appear to have needed the seat -- the flight flew with five seats empty -- and they should have known where she was coming from. 15 minutes to get from E terminal to B terminal is not an Herculean task; I'd expect that they'd give her a chance to arrive.​​​​​​​

Originally Posted by j2simpso
In practice, airlines will often taken pity on their *Gold passengers and do the right thing and book them a hotel, meal vouchers, etc.
You keep saying this. It continues not to reflect reality. If there's weather, UA will provide a hotel for 1K members -- and, even then, it often takes prodding. Otherwise, it's hard enough even to get them to follow the *G guidelines on applicable (intercontinental) flights.

This was my experience with AC and UA although I had to be persistent talking to several agents before I got my way.
Suggesting that it's not actually policy.

In theory you should be able to write in to United to ask for some compensation, at a minimum I would expect they provide some points as a token of appreciation.
They might, but only because I've completely given up on understanding when UA will send a travel credit and when they won't.

You may also want to check the credit card you used to book those flights since many cover hotel bookings, meals and the like when such IRROP events occur.
​​​​​​​This, on the other hand, I agree with. Often, just paying the taxes / fees on a card is enough to trigger trip delay insurance.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
My SFO-HKG flight was delayed 20 minutes yesterday due to late-arriving passengers (and their bags). They still showed an on-time arrival when the delay was posted, so I’m guessing that was factored in. We ended up arriving about 5 minutes early. I suspect there were some very grateful pax on that (very empty) flight.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This new algorithm certainly didn't work for my wife last night. She was on the last itinerary out last night (AUS-IAH-MFE). The first leg was on an aircraft coming into AUS from EWR. It was delayed due to "route planning" by the airline. She thus arrived IAH late with only 25 min to get from terminal E to B. Arrived to her connecting gate 10 min prior to departure but the boarding door had closed and the flight actually departed the gate 2 minutes early. She is now in a hotel at our expense. The customer service agent said it was "weather related," though there was no mention of weather in EWR, nor in AUS or IAH, nor any mention of weather issues on the United app. She is Premier Gold. I expected they might offer a hotel voucher or food voucher but that did not occur. Would anyone have expected anything under these circumstances? She used miles for pay for the itinerary, so claiming travel delay benefits on the United card was not an option
I have no inside knowledge about whether this algorithm is improving connections or not. But no method can catch every exception, and it will always be possible to find some failure anecdote.

In this case I suggest just send UA a copy of the hotel receipt and a short note about how you were disappointed with their accommodation of your wife's flight delay. I think there is a decent chance that they'll reimburse or issue a certificate.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 3:17 pm

Connection Saver

Any sense of how this tool is working? Is it really saving lots of connections that otherwise would have been missed? I have an upcoming flight with a tight connection to last flight of the day, so I may need this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.