Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Economy refund for job loss

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
This is exactly why I purchase supplemental travel insurance with "cancel for work reasons" included in the policy. (Amongst many reasons.)
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:27 pm

Call United. I have had decent luck getting refunds or vouchers for non-refundable tickets.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:05 pm

When is the last day on the job? If the last day hasn't occurred yet, it may not be too late to try getting travel insurance, but check the details.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
When is the last day on the job? If the last day hasn't occurred yet, it may not be too late to try getting travel insurance, but check the details.
No, that's insurance fraud

(Trying to buy insurance to cover an event that's 100% going to happen- that's not insurance)
brp1264 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage
No, that's insurance fraud

(Trying to buy insurance to cover an event that's 100% going to happen- that's not insurance)
On the other hand, if the employer is something like Lockheed, half your career may go one WARN notice at a time. It's not 100%, just a definite maybe. The day might come and your job might still be there. Then what do you do?
The employer clause of travel insurance can also cover unforeseen job requirements.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is not a place to play games. When people purchase coverage close to the date of an event and it then comes to pass, it gets a second look. I would not want to be job hunting and have that sort of shennanigans having over me. Last think OP's husband needs.
jsloan and Miles Ahead like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:12 pm

curious to see what happens.

you may all be surprised....you can get lucky with an agent that has a heart and can refund it with no fee's.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, maddzack!

A phone call to United doesn't cost anything, and you'd be surprised at how understanding the right agent can be. No guarantees, but with all the bad press United gets, they understand how big a win this can be for the company.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
You could also try emailing via the contact form, and submitting the notice of termination as an attachment.

I don’t know that you’d get a refund, but you might get the change fee waived. Hopefully you can take a trip again within a year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.