Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fare Bucket for Military/Government ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fare Bucket for Military/Government ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy
Once reservation is made, you can move to E+, even though it's not ticketed. You can't apply upgrade, however, until ticketed.
As soon as your AO approves your authorization, you can call your CTO (SATO usually) to get the reservation ticketed. At least in my organization there is no additional fee to do this and the ticket is unrestricted and can be refunded should you need it. I fly full Y fares a lot and this is invaluable to getting instant upgrades into PN to clear.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:32 am

Do you request early ticketing through the AO?

On a separate note, if I am flying out of DC to San Diego, which has city pairs with SAN from all three airports (IAD, DCA, BWI), do I have to select one airport over the other? I am closest to IAD and would prefer to fly UA (out of IAD).

Thank you all for the help!
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by UAFLYER22
Do you request early ticketing through the AO?

On a separate note, if I am flying out of DC to San Diego, which has city pairs with SAN from all three airports (IAD, DCA, BWI), do I have to select one airport over the other? I am closest to IAD and would prefer to fly UA (out of IAD).

Thank you all for the help!
Early ticketing is requested through SATO; if the AO doesn't approve/sign off then SATO will not push it to the queue. You may want to make them aware though since I'm not sure how your AO is booking it and you would want to review the fare rules associated with the ticket before doing anything. If you push it to ticket, then need to cancel, it may have different penalties. "Most" gov't fares are refundable, but if your AO should select a "commercial fare with penalties" its because they found a cheaper fare than what is being offered in city pairs. This is rare, but it happens.

As to your second question, again that depends on how specific your AO reviews the costs or work policies. Usually you are able to opt for one WAS airport versus another, but in the past I have had IAD bookings disapproved and told I had to book DCA because it resulted in greater savings to the taxpayer. Of course I was able to show subsequent savings were offset by baggage fees associated with flying on an airline I didn't hold status on, or rental car pricing, but it really can depend on each situation.
Major G and therossinator like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
My routing

Originally Posted by therossinator
That is not representative of what the Defense Travel System website would show you when you search their booking system for the same flight. I can pull up a dummy search if you tell me your departure date.

Dummy Search request: YYZ-MEC June 25 MEC-YYZ July 25
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Early ticketing is requested through SATO; if the AO doesn't approve/sign off then SATO will not push it to the queue. You may want to make them aware though since I'm not sure how your AO is booking it and you would want to review the fare rules associated with the ticket before doing anything. If you push it to ticket, then need to cancel, it may have different penalties. "Most" gov't fares are refundable, but if your AO should select a "commercial fare with penalties" its because they found a cheaper fare than what is being offered in city pairs. This is rare, but it happens.

As to your second question, again that depends on how specific your AO reviews the costs or work policies. Usually you are able to opt for one WAS airport versus another, but in the past I have had IAD bookings disapproved and told I had to book DCA because it resulted in greater savings to the taxpayer. Of course I was able to show subsequent savings were offset by baggage fees associated with flying on an airline I didn't hold status on, or rental car pricing, but it really can depend on each situation.
What if I'm willing to pay the difference in airfare? I don't think any airline will charge me baggage fees as military, so I think that argument will go out the door. Any other thoughts? I appreciate the help.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

As soon as your AO approves your authorization, you can call your CTO (SATO usually) to get the reservation ticketed. At least in my organization there is no additional fee to do this and the ticket is unrestricted and can be refunded should you need it. I fly full Y fares a lot and this is invaluable to getting instant upgrades into PN to clear.
Last week, SATO booked a trip for me in full Y. Although it was not yet ticketed, about 2 hours later I got the message in the App that I had an upgrade into PN for one segment and to click on it. Actually that made me think that the trip was ticketed and I was wondering why I could not choose a Preferred seat on the CR2 (I could choose Economy + seats in the other flights). But after that I read that it will only be ticketed next week.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Last week, SATO booked a trip for me in full Y. Although it was not yet ticketed, about 2 hours later I got the message in the App that I had an upgrade into PN for one segment and to click on it. Actually that made me think that the trip was ticketed and I was wondering why I could not choose a Preferred seat on the CR2 (I could choose Economy + seats in the other flights). But after that I read that it will only be ticketed next week.
In my experience, that only happens for instant upgrades and only happens in the app. It will let you confirm the upgrade, but when you get ticketed, it will revert back to economy and your AO will get a nastygram from SATO saying that you should not have upgraded.
You should be able to select an E+ seat once booked via the United website. Maybe none available, the CRJ200 only has 4 E+ seats on the whole aircraft (first row). Have you tried calling the United government desk?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:56 am

What if I'm willing to pay the difference in airfare? I don't think any airline will charge me baggage fees as military, so I think that argument will go out the door. Any other thoughts? I appreciate the help.
Talk to your AO. By the book, electing to pay the fare difference is permitted but there is a process. IIRC, you need to get either sign the authorization or get the authorization approved for the cheapest flight, then talk to SATO to book you the flight you really want and they will note in your record that you will only get a reimbursement up to whatever that cheapest flight would have cost.
I've tried to do something similar, electing to pay the difference for a YCA (non-capacity controlled) city pair fare instead of the _CA but SATO says that that move is not allowed.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:45 am

Will SATO ticket both the outbound leg and return leg at the same time? My outbound and inbound are almost a month apart.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Will SATO ticket both the outbound leg and return leg at the same time? My outbound and inbound are almost a month apart.
Yes. I've always had the entire trip ticketed at least 3 days before the first departure. It's all on the same reservation locator/PNR so it has to be done that way (unless for some reason you wanted to book two one-way fares).
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum

Talk to your AO. By the book, electing to pay the fare difference is permitted but there is a process. IIRC, you need to get either sign the authorization or get the authorization approved for the cheapest flight, then talk to SATO to book you the flight you really want and they will note in your record that you will only get a reimbursement up to whatever that cheapest flight would have cost.
I've tried to do something similar, electing to pay the difference for a YCA (non-capacity controlled) city pair fare instead of the _CA but SATO says that that move is not allowed.
In theory yes, however in order to book a -CA or -DG, the entire ticket has to be charged to the GOV'T issued charge card or a centrally billed account. It's simple enough that you would charge and then just pay the difference, but it can get really messy trying to work that even more so if its a CBA.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

In my experience, that only happens for instant upgrades and only happens in the app. It will let you confirm the upgrade, but when you get ticketed, it will revert back to economy and your AO will get a nastygram from SATO saying that you should not have upgraded.
You should be able to select an E+ seat once booked via the United website. Maybe none available, the CRJ200 only has 4 E+ seats on the whole aircraft (first row). Have you tried calling the United government desk?
Thank you for letting me know about this upgrade being a non-upgrade. It's the first time that I had this happen as the other times (the one time a year that the Government purchases my ticket) the upgrade always happened after the ticketing. Oh well, I was thinking that I was being too lucky.

The problem with the CR2 is that the week-end before last they changed and they made the Exit Row a Preferred row. It was not like that a few days earlier when my wife booked her seat in the Exit row. It's not too much of an issue as it's a 18 to 30 minutes flight wheels up-wheels down (the 30 minutes is that sometimes the plane has to way overshoot ORD). It's not really worth bothering United for so little......although I have no problems bothering my fellow FTers about this........
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flying chef
Dummy Search request: YYZ-MEC June 25 MEC-YYZ July 25
DTS has no flight options from Toronto (YYZ) to Manta EC (MEC) or surrounding airports on either end. This means there's no GSA contract airfares between those city pairs (understandable).

Its not what you want but as a cursory search for something like from Houston/Dallas to Quito EC (UIO) yields all flights on AA. It wants to route you through MIA to UIO. Fare class it books in to is S on AA. No UA options at all. Basically if you wanted *A or UA options you'd have to go through the travel agent and try to piece something together to get from Canada to MEC.

EDIT: AA fare rules added as a pdf attachment, UA / DL would have similar conditions and restrictions, fare class unknown with those two.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
AA.pdf (43.8 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by gmt4; Jun 11, 2019 at 1:35 pm Reason: Added attachment
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus

My organization won't let us ticket early without a good reason, because of hassle/expense (Concur) of cancelling.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Originally Posted by gmt4
DTS has no flight options from Toronto (YYZ) to Manta EC (MEC) or surrounding airports on either end. This means there's no GSA contract airfares between those city pairs (understandable).

Its not what you want but as a cursory search for something like from Houston/Dallas to Quito EC (UIO) yields all flights on AA. It wants to route you through MIA to UIO. Fare class it books in to is S on AA. No UA options at all. Basically if you wanted *A or UA options you'd have to go through the travel agent and try to piece something together to get from Canada to MEC.

EDIT: AA fare rules added as a pdf attachment, UA / DL would have similar conditions and restrictions, fare class unknown with those two.

I think there is a contract for YYZ-IAH , so maybe they can build on that. Is it bad form to let SATO know a preferred routing based on ITA Matrix / Google Flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.