Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can I take my family to global services check-in if I am not traveling with them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I take my family to global services check-in if I am not traveling with them?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

I am taking my daughter to the airport soon. She has no status, my wife and I have Global Services. Can I take her into the Global Services check-in to check her bag, etc? She is flying out of Newark. I thought it would be fun to take her in there and figured they would accommodate it.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
They’ll have no problems with two GS parents bringing a child on same itin. I would go for it.

“May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS”
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by simonmason
I am taking my daughter to the airport soon. She has no status, my wife and I have Global Services. Can I take her into the Global Services check-in to check her bag, etc? She is flying out of Newark. I thought it would be fun to take her in there and figured they would accommodate it.
my wife and I have flown to different destinations and we have done that before. Im Gs she isn’t and not on same itinerary. Haven’t tried not traveling at all. But assuming not busy they should accommodate
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
They’ll have no problems with two GS parents bringing a child on same itin.
As per the OP, the GS members are not only not on the same PNR, but are not traveling at all.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The policy is "no". You are not a passenger and your daughter is not GS.

Doesn't mean that you will be turned away. But, nobody can give you any assurance that it will work.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Well the answer is no. I have been GS for three years and they continue to underwhelm me. I will have to go back to Hon on Lufthansa. They know how to treat their frequent fliers.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by simonmason
... I will have to go back to Hon on Lufthansa. They know how to treat their frequent fliers.
If it’s just as convenient for you out of EWR (I assume), go for it...
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
As per the OP, the GS members are not only not on the same PNR, but are not traveling at all.
I had thought since both parents were mentioned she would be traveling with the mother while the father dropped them off. Are they going to be an UM? Or are they older.

I guess either way, good chance they would still help if you’re physically there as a courtesy. Just like GS call center will usually help - as a courtesy - with SOs/children PNRs if you call them (even for unrelated itin).

tho this is pretty uncommon case to walk people thru check-in when not traveling, so would be prepared for no..

it’s too bad United doesn’t have an AA Five Star equivalent that you could just buy for her (it’s a super neat 1st timer experience and same check-in as concierge key - bought it for my parents):
https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...ar-service.jsp
ekwang likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA MM

I had thought since both parents were mentioned she would be traveling with the mother while the father dropped them off. Are they going to be an UM? Or are they older.

I guess either way, good chance they would still help if you’re physically there as a courtesy. Just like GS call center will usually help - as a courtesy - with SOs/children PNRs if you call them (even for unrelated itin).

tho this is pretty uncommon case to walk people thru check-in when not traveling, so would be prepared for no..

it’s too bad United doesn’t have an AA Five Star equivalent that you could just buy for her:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...ar-service.jsp
When the OP stated his daughter "has not status", I assumed this to be an adult daughter and certainly not a UM.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...it’s too bad United doesn’t have an AA Five Star equivalent that you could just buy for her (it’s a super neat 1st timer experience and same check-in as concierge key - bought it for my parents):
There is Introducing United Exclusive Assistance "United Signature Service" [Q&A-Experiences] -- not having tried either, don't know how they compare
silverforumsurf likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
What if the OP bought a refundable ticket to anywhere or the same destination as his daughter, checked her in at the Global area, and then got the ticket refunded?

Also, I'm assuming that the OP's wife is GS becaof him. Otherwise , either he or his wife could grant their daughter status.

David
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DELee
What if the OP bought a refundable ticket to anywhere or the same destination as his daughter, checked her in at the Global area, and then got the ticket refunded?
Really not recommended. UA is as Loyal as a 3 Dollar Bill [account closed]

Call me petty, but I don't see the problem with UA enforcing its rules, even when it's GS seeking an exception.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:19 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

About a year ago this topic came up with the GS agents at ORD. They said they were starting to crack down on parents letting their kids use the GS check-in when not with their parents. They said it was getting abused a lot. Don't know whatever happened.
Markie, chavala and Kacee like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Really not recommended. UA is as Loyal as a 3 Dollar Bill [account closed]

Call me petty, but I don't see the problem with UA enforcing its rules, even when it's GS seeking an exception.
Nothing petty about it. I can’t believe anyone would even try it let alone complain about it afterwards.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 10, 2019 at 2:26 pm Reason: overally personal comment removed
Old Jun 9, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I’ve walked my child into the 1K check in to help her avoid the long line on a busy day. Showed my 1K card on the phone and got right in. Even though half of FT said I could not do that or was abusing the system. My guess is that as long as you are actually there, it will work fine. And if it doesn’t, then no big deal, it just means a little more time in the regular line.
drewguy and silverforumsurf like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.