Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flight morning 9 June 2019 from ATL ... help!

Flight morning 9 June 2019 from ATL ... help!

Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is interesting that DL has not issued a waiver.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by username
It is interesting that DL has not issued a waiver.
If DL issued a waiver every time there was risk of thunderstorms in ATL, they'd never be able to charge a change fee.
lupine and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The scheduled aircraft is now posting a two hour delay out of SFO for a “technical issue” which can extend as we all know.

The good news is that that should be OK if that holds since the bird overnights at ORD.

Last edited by milepig; Jun 8, 2019 at 9:58 pm
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the bright side, at least OP’s flight is mainline.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by raehl311
If DL issued a waiver every time there was risk of thunderstorms in ATL, they'd never be able to charge a change fee.
I think they blew it today - lots of 8+ hour delays and cancels. Know quite a few people that gave up trying to get home or couldn’t get out.

Now by no means is UA perfect, but when the forecast has showed a 100% chance of thunderstorms for a few days now, DL and others could have been a bit more proactive.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Air China flight

Originally Posted by milepig
If this link works, here are all the *alliance flights tomorrow. I limited to *. The flights that say +2 don’t arrive until Tuesday.

Several options are around your original time, very few much later so the quicker you can act if you need to the better. I’ve had my best luck when prepared with options I can feed to the agent .”... I see a flight on AC via Toronto, can you check that...” and if all else fails suggest the 2:02 Delta. Never hurts to ask.

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=A...;sd:1;t:f;tt:o
There is an Air China flight leaving at 4:05 pm if OP misses the UA IAD-PEK flight. The leg room is slightly greater on the CA flight. Good luck.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig
The scheduled aircraft is now posting a two hour delay out of SFO for a “technical issue” which can extend as we all know.

The good news is that that should be OK if that holds since the bird overnights at ORD.
looks like the bird took off from SFO AND then returned. Still on the ground now.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:08 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
The challenge is not many seats available from your origin especially for 4 persons (e.g. connecting via EWR is on a ERJ {smaller aircraft with only 1 unassigned seat at the moment} or connecting via SFO {@7:40am} only has 1 unassigned seat left). And you don't wish to go stand-by with a family of 4 plus if checking bags you want them on the plane you are flying. As someone else mentioned UA codeshares seats on Air China which has a flight departing IAD @ 4:05pm so even if delayed you have 4 hr to make that flight. If possible bring a charged phone or tablet and have it handy on your UA 778. If delayed after leaving gate (ATC hold) - you can use the app inflight to see if they rescheduled you to Air China or as soon as you land call United to advise of misconnect (likely faster than waiting for customer service counter @ IAD after getting off plane).

So, IMO remain on your schedule flight but monitor the two following websites - nothing you can do except write down UA 7609 which is UA/Air China codeshare.
www.faa.gov (check delays or ATC issues at both IAD, ATL & DCA)
Check UAL for your flight including inbound aircraft (which is UA 1155 scheduled departure at 7am EDT)

We all wish you and your family luck as Mother Nature has been quick erratic recently.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
OP, your aircraft is plane 3241, Noze No. N54241. You can see where it is here:
N54241
It's currently enroute to ORD and will arrive at about 0300 hours. It then departs at 0600 for ATL, arriving at 0854.

I would take a look at the map of IAD and see what gate you're flight to PEK is departing from and learn the route from arriving to departing gates. Keep in mind that you need to be at your departing gate 30 minutes prior to departure, If you have to make a run for it, I would ask the FA for the following:
1. Can they find out what gate you are arriving into, so you know your path to your departing gate.
2. Can they call ahead to the deparing gate and let the GA know you have are arrived and are making a run for it. I have seen once-daily flights held for late arriving connectors when the flight can still make it to its destination on time.
3. Can the FAs arrange to let you off of the plane before everyone else.

I can't guarantee you that any of these requests will be accomodated, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I would definitely let them know that you have a tight connection.

As for booking a tight connection to a once-daily flight, most of us have learned (some of us the hard way) to allow at least 3-4 hours when connecting to a once-daily flight. Having time for a cold one or a nice meal takes all of the stress out of it.

Good luck and let us know how you made out please.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would not count on UA holding the plane for OP - even if the flight attendant or gate agent on the arriving flight say they will try. Unless instructed by someone higher up, the departing flight's agent's focus is on-time departure.

It is definitely a good idea for OP to have the United App installed and log into the account that is flying. Connect to the Wifi on the plane and use the United App for free. If the ATL-IAD flight is late and OP will misconnect, the App might pop up a yellow/red bar and help OP rebook. Still with 4 people and not much choice... OP can also track bags on the United App.

If OP gets moved to other carriers, also make sure the agent has re-validated the ticket and OP should get them to print out the new itinerary and ticket receipt.

Also, might be a good idea to make sure the return flights are intact a few days after arriving PEK if OP is rerouted on another carrier.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: UA MM
The OP's inbound from ORD is in flight and expected to arrive ATL 6 minutes early.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
The OP's inbound from ORD is in flight and expected to arrive ATL 6 minutes early.
And now arrived. It looks like the OP lucked out.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Yes I lucked out alright ... lesson well learned. Thank you all for your advice. We’re on the tarmac and won’t be relaxed until this bird is in the air. Trust me, I was up at 4 am looking at other options just in case.
jsloan, onthesam and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It appears that OP's flight pushed at 09:54, 9 minutes late, and is due into the gate at IAD at 11:31, 6 minutes late. If the gate assignments of C19 for arrival and C5 hold and nothing intervenes, this is an easy transfer and OP ought to be at the PEK departure gate before boarding commences.

A general thought for the benefit of others in this situation is that I would not generally book such a short connection where other better connections are available (presuming that price is a constant). The key factor here is not whether 90 minutes is enough. It most certainly is at IAD. But, the consequences of a misconnect here were messy. At best, one is likely in lousier seats and at worst, delayed for at least 24 hours (all presuming availability) or rerouted to various other services.

So, always take a look at the consequences of a misconnect rather than simply whether the connection is doable.
jsloan and jonisflying like this.

Last edited by Often1; Jun 9, 2019 at 7:58 am
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Love hearing good outcomes to these stories. Kudos to the folks offering solid advice.

Enjoy your trip OP!
onthesam and Kannai like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.