FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   What is "Speed Tape", is it "duct tape?" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1973022-what-speed-tape-duct-tape.html)

PsiFighter37 Jun 7, 2019 4:19 am

Given what the interior of most (all?) E145s look like, I wouldn’t be surprised :D

clubord Jun 7, 2019 4:24 am

OP is the exact reason I do not go into great detail describing most maintenance issues that arise when I'm flying.

Speed tape on a gear is so minor in nature. Most likely there due to MEL related to a loose or missing seal. It is not there for structural purposes “holding stuff together” but rather for aerodynamic reasons.

narvik Jun 7, 2019 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31178675)
Honesty is not always the best policy . . . couldn't he just say they were waiting on some paperwork?

(bolding mine)

Or he could of said "We're waiting for some red tape!"
:p

DenverBrian Jun 7, 2019 6:22 am

Something tells me Orville and Wilbur might have used tape in places on the Wright Flyer. @:-)

CaptKornDog Jun 7, 2019 7:18 am

Paperwork and speed tape. Things that make every aircraft fly.

speedbrds Jun 20, 2019 10:46 pm

Where can one purchase this “speed tape”? My front bumper came loose and I need some to tide me over until I fix it. Does it come in black?

chrisl137 Jun 21, 2019 12:13 am

Originally Posted by speedbrds (Post 31224538)
Where can one purchase this “speed tape”? My front bumper came loose and I need some to tide me over until I fix it. Does it come in black?

Try gaffer's tape if you want it in black. More expensive than duct tape, and way less expensive than speed tape, but it's got adhesive that doesn't leave a residue and is made from strong cloth. It's good for taping cables to walls and floors, and also for patching your black jeans.

DenverBrian Jun 21, 2019 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by speedbrds (Post 31224538)

Amazon, of course. Duh.

RobOnLI May 9, 2022 5:00 pm

Just another crappy ERJ-175 ride (IAH-xxx) yesterday. Entire engine ring was covered in "speed tape", paint peeling off everywhere (the nose was way worse) and the inside of the plane looked like it hadn't been cleaned in 5 years. I have no problem with "speed tape" because I have to assume it's been deemed safe to fly - but around the entire ring?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...88846db596.png
-RM

DELee May 9, 2022 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 34235978)
Just another crappy ERJ-175 ride (IAH-xxx) yesterday. Entire engine ring was covered in "speed tape", paint peeling off everywhere (the nose was way worse) and the inside of the plane looked like it hadn't been cleaned in 5 years. I have no problem with "speed tape" because I have to assume it's been deemed safe to fly - but around the entire ring?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...88846db596.png
-RM

Real smooth.

David

eng3 May 9, 2022 6:19 pm

Looks alot like the metallic tape we use with EMI testing. I don't think ours is $500/roll so maybe not quite the same.

LarryJ May 9, 2022 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 34235978)
I have no problem with "speed tape" because I have to assume it's been deemed safe to fly - but around the entire ring?

It looks like it's protecting newly applied sealant while the sealant cures.

That "ring" is heated by ducting hot bleed air through it to prevent ice formation inflight. The ring is sealed so that the bleed air will be contained as it enters and exits the ring.

bmwe92fan May 9, 2022 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ (Post 34236416)

That "ring" is heated by ducting hot bleed air through it to prevent ice formation inflight. The ring is sealed so that the bleed air will be contained as it enters and exits the ring.

So glad you are here to point out these things..... As someone that had a career cut short as a naval aviator your insight and knowledge helps everyone keep their heads straight... I have amazing respect for US commercial aviation standards -- as someone who has lived all over the word we have the BEST system for safety in the world -- so when you look out and see "duct tape" on the engine don't panic -- someone knows what they are doing....

kirkwoodj May 10, 2022 9:28 am

Today's learning done. As an aside, I always travel with a roll of gaffer tape.

prestonh May 10, 2022 9:45 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ (Post 34236416)

Curious to know what sealant cures at altitude temperature and pressure.