FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Mapping various -UP fares to J/C/D/P? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1972946-mapping-various-up-fares-j-c-d-p.html)

ljwobker Jun 6, 19 4:13 pm

Mapping various -UP fares to J/C/D/P?

Is there a well defined mapping of what coach class fare buckets are mapped to which first class fare buckets when doing (domestic) -UP fares? (Assuming they're still even called that...)

Kacee Jun 6, 19 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by ljwobker (Post 31177519)
Is there a well defined mapping of what coach class fare buckets are mapped to which first class fare buckets when doing (domestic) -UP fares? (Assuming they're still even called that...)

It's defined by the fare. For example,VAP00UPN is a V that books into P. HAD00UPN is an H that books into D. If you have an EF subscription, you can see all the fares for a particular route.

xliioper Jun 6, 19 10:45 pm

You can't really tell on domestic F just by the fare basis code (the only thing you really know is that it's a First Class fare due to the second to last character being an F). If you look in the Routing info for the fare on EF, it shows you the booking class. Looking at the various F fares, this seems to be consistent.

K/L/T basis = P (e.g. KAA2AQFN)
S/W/V basis = Z (e.g. WAA2KKFN)
Q/H/U basis = D (e.g. QAA2AFFN)
E/M/B/Y basis = C (e.g. EAA0AFFN)

ljwobker Jun 11, 19 3:20 pm

Interesting. All the fare codes I see (at least for RDU-SFO) are not of the -UP format. I was bored and built out this (from expertflyer....)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

If you look, the price difference is consistent, as is the formatting... but it appears that Xliioper is right - you have to look individually into the routing codes to be sure. ;(

findark Jun 11, 19 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper (Post 31178330)
K/L/T basis = P (e.g. KAA2AQFN)
S/W/V basis = Z (e.g. WAA2KKFN)
Q/H/U basis = D (e.g. QAA2AFFN)
E/M/B/Y basis = C (e.g. EAA0AFFN)

Yes, the mapping is well-defined on domestic routes, and this is it. The relevant characters from the current domestic format are in first and seventh position, eg WAA2KKFN. W has a secondary inventory of W (and books into Z), and F indicates it is a First fare.

The last two characters together determine the class and type of fare:

BN, BS: Basic Economy (BS for specials)
DN, DS: Deep Discount Economy (DS for specials)
ER, EX: Deep Discount Economy, combines only with higher fares (cannot be combined with type DN, DS, ER, EX or Basic Economy, X for specials)
EN: Economy Restricted
EY: Economy Flexible
FN: First Restricted
FY: First Flexible

ljwobker Jun 11, 19 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 31192933)
Yes, the mapping is well-defined on domestic routes, and this is it. The relevant characters from the current domestic format are in first and seventh position, eg WAA2KKFN. W has a secondary inventory of W (and books into Z), and F indicates it is a First fare.

But there's no way (just by looking at the fare code) to know that it books into Z, rather than J or C or P... that's what I was hoping for.

findark Jun 11, 19 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by ljwobker (Post 31192951)
But there's no way (just by looking at the fare code) to know that it books into Z, rather than J or C or P... that's what I was hoping for.

Yes, all domestic differential fares with a W inventory requirement will book into Z. This is not a law of the universe or anything, but it is currently true for all published fares.

porciuscato Jun 18, 19 2:41 pm

Can Z fare be a P-up?

I'm stuck in the airport trying to rebook because of an ATC delay and misconnect. I booked my trip all the way through in Z fare class. Yet the "Global Services" phone agent is claiming that she can only re-book me in economy because my fare is an "upgraded economy" fare. I understood that happens with P fares. Never heard of it with a Z. Also never heard of a GS agent refusing to re-book somebody who paid for first (p-up or otherwise) in first.

Sykes Jun 18, 19 2:50 pm

Instant upgrade Dual inventory fares are available in all business/first class booking classes (except maybe J). It's pretty common to see them in P, Z, D, and C.

Having said that, you're entitled to be rebooked in the premium cabin. Some agents erroneously believe otherwise, and trying to convince them that they're wrong is usually an exercise in futility. Your best bet is to hang up and call back.

iluv2fly Jun 18, 19 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Sykes (Post 31215901)
Instant upgrade fares are available in all business/first class booking classes (except maybe J). It's pretty common to see them in P, Z, D, and C.

Having said that, you're entitled to be rebooked in the premium cabin. Some agents erroneously believe otherwise, and trying to convince them that they're wrong is usually an exercise in futility. Your best bet is to hang up and call back.

I hope United doesn't start this crap again with instant upgrades. You purchased a First (or Business) Class fare and that's what you should receive in irregular operations. It's bait and switch (IMHO) if they try to pull this scam on you. And I really can't believe a GS agent would do that to you. Hang up and call back.

Kacee Jun 18, 19 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly (Post 31216029)
I hope United doesn't start this crap again with instant upgrades.

Yeah we haven't heard this garbage in quite a while. To echo prior comments, absolute nonsense. Two key points:
1. UP fares are premium cabin fares. There is no "upgrade" involved.
2. In IRROPS, there are no inventory restrictions; if you have a paid premium cabin fare, you are entitled to be rebooked in the premium cabin

canadiancow Jun 18, 19 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31216250)
1. UP fares are premium cabin fares. There is no "upgrade" involved.

"UP" is not "up"grade.

And then we wonder why there's so much confusion :p

Kacee Jun 18, 19 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31216312)
"UP" is not "up"grade.

And then we wonder why there's so much confusion :p

I'm just a travel hobbyist, and I have no difficulty at all with the concept.

Understanding the basics of how UA's fares work is the core function of a United reservations agent. There is simply no excuse for this nonsense; especially not now, given that these fares, which have been around for a decade, comprise probably 99.9% of the domestic front cabin fares that United sells.

WineCountryUA Jun 18, 19 5:16 pm

Likely an inexperienced faux-GS agent
There have very few recent reports of this
Easier to HUACA then to fight

xliioper Jun 18, 19 6:40 pm

Both DL and UA consider them true first class fares by the fare rules --

APPLICATION
CLASS OF SERVICE
THESE FARES APPLY FOR FIRST/BUSINESS CLASS SERVICE.

Only AA still has the following language in their fare rules for discount domestic FC fares which might give them some wiggle room --

ECONOMY FARE WITH AN INSTANT ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE TO FIRST/BUSINESS.
APPLICATION
CLASS OF SERVICE
THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE.