Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated HNL connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated HNL connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Oscar is absolutely right about this but lets be honest, do people flying to HNL really care about the airport experience like at other airports?

Anyone that arrives at that airport (aside from inter-island) has been on a plane for a minimum of 5.5 or 6 hours, they can't get off that plane quick enough and get to the beach!
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
On one hand, I love the 70s-era nostalgia and "feel" of the terminal, especially the Diamond Head Concourse (G gates... ha!), but on the other, it's functionally obsolete and clearly becoming costly to maintain.

Hopefully the renovations can strike a balance between the Island ethos the current facility most definitely has and still meet modern needs.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
An aging facility has been made much worse by "renovations" which have so far accomplished nothing except block off substantial portions of the Diamond Head concourse.

I understand Hawaii is a particularly difficult location for public works.
EWR764, spin88, xandern and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
KOA has recently rebuilt a new and pricey control tower, expanded the entrance road and highway, and is currently doing a remodel on at least part of the terminal. I am sure they will be happy to take some more of UA business. Not sure what the end result of the terminal remodel will be but I am told more will now be indoors.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by clubord
Oscar is absolutely right about this but lets be honest, do people flying to HNL really care about the airport experience like at other airports?

Anyone that arrives at that airport (aside from inter-island) has been on a plane for a minimum of 5.5 or 6 hours, they can't get off that plane quick enough and get to the beach!
A lot of people flying to HNL are not necessarily tourists. Honolulu is roughly the 50th largest city in the US - there are business travelers, and military and government workers. And residents.

And yes when I arrive, I'm not hanging out in the terminal, but it doesn't give a very good first impression. And given the planes are usually 100% full, baggage claim is often a mess.

On the other hand, a better experience for departing passengers sorely needed. Things really are falling off of the walls. They finally opened up another bar/restaurant at the beginning of G terminal that quite frankly misses the mark. Its not that great and was really a missed opportunity. They could've put a Maui or Kona Brewing and at the other end the small bar/pizza place with Quiznos next door is woefully inadequate.

Many things can be done to retain a unique island feel - I suspect it was a nice terminal in the 70's but it is downright awful now. The State waited far to long to start modernization projects.
cawhite and mdtakamine like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
Ages ago, it was much more common to have to connect at HNL to get to popular destinations on the other islands, at least when flying from the mainland. Now, UA and others offer several nonstops options to OGG, LIH, KOA, and ITO. Does this change the urgency or the design for HNL renovations?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Boofer
Ages ago, it was much more common to have to connect at HNL to get to popular destinations on the other islands, at least when flying from the mainland. Now, UA and others offer several nonstops options to OGG, LIH, KOA, and ITO. Does this change the urgency or the design for HNL renovations?
No it doesn’t. HNL is still the flagship by far. It needs to function properly.

Though I too admit grading all Hawaii airports on a huge curve (overlook the warts) because Hawaii. IAD gets zero slack from me OTOH.
Boofer and RoyalFlush like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
On the other hand, a better experience for departing passengers sorely needed. Things really are falling off of the walls. They finally opened up another bar/restaurant at the beginning of G terminal that quite frankly misses the mark. Its not that great and was really a missed opportunity. They could've put a Maui or Kona Brewing and at the other end the small bar/pizza place with Quiznos next door is woefully inadequate.
This.

I do agree when arriving, while not the best first impression, it doesn't ultimately matter in my opinion (except for the baggage claim area, you're there for a few minutes).

The departures area though, you do spend time in. The UC as well. That definitely needs to be fixed.

Haha also in that article posted, I do like how Oscar wore an aloha shirt.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Boofer
There are a lot of flights out of HNL - several to SFO and LAX. You've also got DEN, IAD, EWR, ORD, GUM - also ANA flies out of G. I'm sure I'm missing some. There are so many flights, UA needs overflow in another terminal for flights.

What I thought was bizarre, Terminal 2 got its refresh first rather than focusing on the dominant carrier. They even got a new Kona Brewing
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer

There are restaurants/bars on the G concourse? Who knew!
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nomad420
KOA has recently rebuilt a new and pricey control tower, expanded the entrance road and highway, and is currently doing a remodel on at least part of the terminal. I am sure they will be happy to take some more of UA business. Not sure what the end result of the terminal remodel will be but I am told more will now be indoors.
Dont get me started on KOA. Only an idiot would have broken what should have been one terminal into two pieces with two separate TSA checkpoints at that relatively small airport. The State of Hawaii DOT found that idiot. Want to fly from Maui and connect to UA west coast? Gotta change terminals.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Yes refurbishment is really needed at HNL.

I have had many connections through HNL that were several hours in length so I have had significant experience airside there. There are parts of the Diamond Head Concourse that are very tired, although I love that there is still a Quizno's there. The UC there is among the best in the system so its a good place to hang out for any extended connection. UA is working on the Diamond Head Concourse, but as of early April they had only started some of the reframing on the second floor.

Aircraft spacing, baggage claim and overcrowded waiting areas need work. All of the extra seating in what used to be open concourses may be necessary, but its also old and in the way.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Though I too admit grading all Hawaii airports on a huge curve (overlook the warts) because Hawaii. IAD gets zero slack from me OTOH.
LOL, good point. I wouldn't give high marks to any of the Hawaiian airports, but in my mind I really like them because they're in paradise!
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I have been to Hawaii once and I hated all the airport experiences. I don't care if it's "Island" to be outdoors, give me central air conditioning. KOA staff were rude, there was insufficient shaded seating, and then HNL was dated and those open air concourses just meant I was sweating from the humidity before finally reaching a depressing gate area. What a miserable way to start a 6 hour redeye home. I prefer LAX to both HNL and KOA, and that's saying something! Good luck Oscar, you're spot on that it needs to be improved.
flyerCO likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103
I have been to Hawaii once and I hated all the airport experiences. I don't care if it's "Island" to be outdoors, give me central air conditioning. KOA staff were rude, there was insufficient shaded seating, and then HNL was dated and those open air concourses just meant I was sweating from the humidity before finally reaching a depressing gate area. What a miserable way to start a 6 hour redeye home. I prefer LAX to both HNL and KOA, and that's saying something! Good luck Oscar, you're spot on that it needs to be improved.
Sounds like the islands just aren't for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.